xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped  (Read 266 times)

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« on: December 18, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »

Read here :  download available 2.

http://www.xboxhacke...php?topic=76.15

InterestedHacker

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 02:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(MrPhunkee @ Dec 19 2005, 04:48 AM) View Post

Read here :  download available 2.
http://www.xboxhacke...php?topic=76.15

That link is great!  They are doing exactly what we have been discussing over the past week =D

frOOt lOOps

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »

yes very inetersting, i dont know much about what it means but i noticed a part that stands out. He says that we need to realize that we may never get unsigned code running on the 360 but this could allow you to play backups? does he mean the cracking/hacking the dvd drive firmware could allow us to play xbox 360 game backup. there is some neat stuff in that thread. also they also talk about if the firmware is encrypted or if the drive is signed. not sure what this means. but could someone please explain what "The Specialst says that we may never run unsigned code but we could play backups.?"

here is the qoute from the specialst of xboxhacker.net forums "

Quote from: Mjrweed on December 17, 2005, 02:42:13 PM
What if someone managed to swap the dvd-rom with a standard pc dvd-rom, wich would probably already have a hacked firmware for easy further development? (I mean if one cant hack the 360 dvdrom firmware)
Just a thought.....

Yeah, this is possible, but in order to program the firmware, we first have to know how the security mechanisms work

Oh and btw, wont the executable have to be signed for it to run anyway? Even if it reports secure media?

Of course. You won't be able to install Linux this way for example, it's only a way to run backups. But I think that's what 99% of the ppl is waiting for anyway  And I think that most people would agree that we really have to consider the fact that this time, we might not be able to get unsigned code running on the XBOX. I think this is our best shot at getting backups to work on the 360. And personally, I think it's going to be fun to mess around with the firmware "

kday

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 02:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(frOOt lOOps @ Dec 19 2005, 10:30 PM) View Post

yes very inetersting, i dont know much about what it means but i noticed a part that stands out. He says that we need to realize that we may never get unsigned code running on the 360 but this could help u splay backups? does he mean the cracking/hacking the dvd drive firmware could allow us to play xbox 360 agme backups. there is some neat stuff in that thread. also they also talk about if the firmware is encrypted or if the drive is signed. not sure what this means. but could someone please explain what "The Specialst says that we may never run unsigned code but we could play backups.?"

Yes, if this hack were to work, we would not be able to run unsigned code.  In other words, you would not be able to run any homebrew software such as XBOX Media Center, etc.  The only software you will be able to run is the software that is signed by MS (i.e. Retail Games).  When you create a backup of a game, there is still a valid signature on the executable.  The media check is what prevents you from playing backups.

SpIdErXeN

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »

I seriously doubt this would work, but could you take an already signed executable, run it in the box...then launch other executables from it by modifying some of the game content, ie. PGR executable points to font file which then points to xbmc.exe...and launches xbmc?  My question I guess would be...if the initial executable is running...can you launch other execs from it, regardless of signing, etc?

BlueCop

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »

SpIdErXeN: you chime in with the "i seriously doubt this would work" first. which might be something valid to say if you ... well let me skip this for now

you then go one to say "could you take an already signed executable, run it in the box" thats what the whole project is about. running signed executables from backup media without a mod-chip. do you know what the media flags are?

Hyper-visor will prevent you from using possible exploits like you mention because of ram checksums and such.

I like how these executables are just pointing toward things. very technical for a technical forum. oh wait its not. perhaps a fantasy forum would be more appropriate. I'm not even sure what system you are talking about. Were you hired by MS to gunk up the technical forums?

/me points toward my cat
maybe he will run xbmc for me
go kitty go!!(GO DOGS GO)

I'm no expert but what did you actually contribute to this thread. I would think if you are actually interested in the subject you would want to learn and read up on the security and how it works. I don't know much but i know enough to be sure you have no idea what you're talking about.

I hope this makes you feel stupid and perhaps angers you a bit because i would greatly enjoy it if it did. wallow in your fantasy world with project gothem is pointing toward this and that to gets your xmbc.exe running.  i like how you used exe too. perhaps a sprinkle of fairy dust will help.

Next time ask yourself the question if i thought up this idea then could someone else might have already thought of it and maybe they have an understanding enough to perhaps implement it.

P.S. I am not trying to discourage free thought but i just think that post doesn't belong in the technical forum

I would like to apoligize about this post. I'm just irratable because i don't have any THC

MicroMods

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

Good, maybe they can release a hacked firmware to lower my DVD-ROM to a dull roar  tongue.gif

jizmo

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »

Whether this stuff'll work or not, it's still pretty amazing to see the skills and knowledge of the hackers these days. It's not just little kids playing around anymore, many of these people are industrial professionals who have taken the hacking x360 as their hobby and challenge. Not just for saving a few measly bucks.

Anyway, good stuff there, well worth the read.

maddy2005

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 02:07:00 AM »

yea jizmo, im also HIGHLY! impressed! dont understand like 70% of the things they are talking about hehe but hey im not suppossed to! ROCK ON guys tongue.gif

InterestedHacker

• Archived User
Dvd-rom Firmware Dumped
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 02:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(MicroMods @ Dec 21 2005, 06:51 AM) View Post

Good, maybe they can release a hacked firmware to lower my DVD-ROM to a dull roar  tongue.gif

LMFAO  biggrin.gif