xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Adjustment  (Read 260 times)

ruffles_x

• Archived User
Dvd Adjustment
« on: December 18, 2005, 12:43:00 AM »

First of all, i want to make it clear that i don’t charge with any responsibility for anyone who messes up or voids warranty of his/her Xbox360 by doing what i’m about to describe…

Prologue
My name is Rafael Teran, from Mexico, and I have a Xbox360 bought on the release day (Nov/21), plus I’ve 3 games, PGR3, COD2 and PDZ.

Problem
From within the 3 games I own, not PGR3 nor COD2 have made any problem to me, having finished both and accumulating plenty of game time hours, BUT, on PDZ (and having used 2 different discs with equal results) I’ve had a problem since the beginning, the game would freeze at a random time almost each 5 or 10 minutes in different scenes or moments of the game (at a load, at  changing wepz or simply in any moment of the game), I started to notice that the trouble has something to do with the DVD Drive, because when I wasn’t moving further on the game, nor using something new, the game didn’t had problems.

So I realize that the DVD Drive was late at releasing data so that was causing the freeze, this made me think that PDZ has a upper sensibility to access times than the other 2 mentioned games.

Procedure
 I wont bother you  with any ‘Xbox360 Opening Procedure’ tutorials because there’s plenty of them on the ‘net, nor teaching how to open the DVD Drive because it’s pretty simple, instead I include a Picture of my own Xbox for you to see wich Drive Model my unit has.

(IMG:http://www.regiosoffroad.com/diemurphy/rafa/tornillos.JPG)

After opening the case and the drive you’ll find the inside of the Console, I include a Picture of it too, in this you can notice 3 screws

(IMG:http://www.regiosoffroad.com/diemurphy/rafa/modelo.JPG)

This 3 regulate the distance between the laser and the disc, if you twist them clockwise you separate them both, and if you turn them counter-clockwise you get them closer (obviously). So my first attempt was to regulate only the 2 side screws without so much success, but when I move the 3rd black center one, it started to look better, so I made approximately 1 full counter-clockwise turn and with this I reach the goal: 4 hours playing without a single freeze.

Conclusion
This can help you or can just not. Definitely what I recommend the most is, if you’re having a similar problem, to send your console back to warranty, but if you have not that choice and have already discount the possibility of an overheating on the console causing the problem, this may help, at least this helps to show that Uncle Bill keeps selling half-quality stuff…

Greetings.

mirx999

• Archived User
Dvd Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »

Haven't tried this, but I'm sure many people will appreciate it.  Thanks, man!