xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 360 Iso's  (Read 1353 times)

InterestedHacker

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« on: December 13, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »

Sorry if this is a dumb question,  but I have been trying to get my head around these ISO's that have leaked out on to the net..

How did they read the DVD to start with, I thought it was some weird format, and had major encryption etc?  Have they worked out how to read the data off the discs already?   The .nfo that accompanies the utility doesn't really explain this in any way, other than they haven't circumvented any protection.  If not, how the hell did they get the files?

EDIT:  You still can't read original XBOX discs without an XBOX...

This post has been edited by InterestedHacker: Dec 13 2005, 08:58 PM

jameswalter

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:31:00 PM »

They don't want to leak out how it is done because they are now famous for figuring out how to do it....assuming they did actually do it and not somehow break into MS and steal the files.

heinrich

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »

the data is not encrypted, and it wasnt on xbox's either

obviously xbox1 discs (and now 360 via the same method) could always be read by those with the right hardware and software (none of which is in an xbox)

They didn't explain it for a reason - they don't want you to know.

scotty2hotty1124

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »

i understand that they dont want us to know.....and that they want to be famous...but this is like the 3rd time ive seen this posted by members here at the scene...if you guys already knew that...why didnt you tell us before so that our own old xbox backups would be easier to do?

heinrich

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »

It's very simple - the person that discovered the method and wrote the software didn't want it to be released.  It was never released to the public - and the author recieved NO fame at all; proof of this is again, very simple: you don't know who it is.  "PI" used this same old tool to make their releases...

InterestedHacker

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(scotty2hotty1124 @ Dec 14 2005, 12:22 AM) View Post

i understand that they dont want us to know.....and that they want to be famous...but this is like the 3rd time ive seen this posted by members here at the scene...if you guys already knew that...why didnt you tell us before so that our own old xbox backups would be easier to do?

From what I have read elsewhere, I think it's not an easy thing to standardise.  It appears to me that these guys are modifying the firmware on their DVD drives, to be able to read places that you normally wouldn't look with a standard drive.  Because they are doing the changes manually, it likely to be difficult to do, and not easy to standardise on many drives due to differences in hardware at a low level.  I might be wrong, but that's what I have pieced together whilst I was waiting for a reply here.

heinrich

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »

You are right - they use 1 particular drive.

Also.. after reading over my last response.. I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe it's time that people realized that they have duped for the last 3.5 years everytime they read "THERE IS NO WAY TO READ A XBOX DISC IN A PC".  Nothing was ever stopping anyone else from figuring out how to do it, and the small group of people that did, did not release their info.

Darren101

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 04:51:00 PM »

Hi!

Anybody know how team pi managed to rip the xbox360 games?

It just seems strange, that everybody here has been brainstorming ideas, and they're one step ahead....
Maybe they aren't human ohmy.gif .....

generalnewbie

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »

maybe they arent really finding any special way but have DEV kits that allow them to do this anyways

hmmm that seems more of how i would go about it being FAMOUS and all...
tisk tisk they are one of the grps that stole a dev kit and are playing with it nothing more nothing less.
I highly doubt a modified firmware is doing the things you all claim

heinrich

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 05:36:00 PM »

That's nice.  You're wrong though.

scotty2hotty1124

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »

so you know all this for a fact? does that mean you have some experience with it? if so...would that make you part of the PI crew?

heinrich

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »

no, I am not even sure who "PI" is.  I have a good guess, but who can be sure about these things?

I am not going to go back and forth trying to defend myself.  I stand by my above statements, take it for what its worth....

This post has been edited by heinrich: Dec 14 2005, 02:06 AM

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »

it's simple, the first step is to not use a Windows PC, the second is to learn of the ripping tools available for linux. From this point on, it's just a simple matter of finding or writing software that can do the ripping for you. Is it hard? Yup. Impossible, no. The other thing people have mentioned is updating the drive's firmware. I think it is more of an OS thing than drive firmware. But, I am 99% sure the first step would be to use linux in either case.

scotty2hotty1124

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »

I am not going to go back and forth trying to defend myself. I stand by my above statements, take it for what its worth....

no i believe you, its not like that at all, i was just curious since you seemed to know a lot about it...and i dont expect you to give away any top secrets, but just to be curious...do you know how to do it from the computer?

1nick9

• Archived User
360 Iso's
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »

they are ripped with custom dvd firmware, also heard that the game data is stored at sector offset 0x1FB20 (LBA).

cheers beerchug.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5