xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hardware In The Dvd Drive  (Read 215 times)

Joergen

• Archived User
Hardware In The Dvd Drive
« on: December 27, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »

I'd like to see some too as I'm pondering if I can fix the rattle inside my dvd drive myself. Cant find any pictures of the innards of the dvd drive! BAD MODDERS BAD!

Joergen

• Archived User
Hardware In The Dvd Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »

Wow little did I know at the time who was asking this question biggrin.gif

But as for my rattling drive, after 5 months I FINALLY FIXED IT.

As I now had a reason to open my 360 thanks to the hack (thx dude!) I went ahead and did it.

I opened the toshiba samsung drive and to my dismay I couldnt instantly find a loose screw or the disc mount cap broken or anything.

So after a while of scratching my head and staring at the rattling cap I decided it must not be mounting properly into the magnet, but sitting ontop of it pushed against the ceiling of the drive when the motor spins wildly making a huge grind until it settles into the magnet.

I took apart a couple PC CD-ROM drives to look at their caps and they all had rounded tips in the spoke that goes into the center of the motor/spinner, while my tosh samsung had a flat tip.

I then opened my Samsung DVD drive I had on my PC to find the EXACT same white plastic cap but with a longer, rounded tip spoke.

I swapped the cap into the 360 tosh samsung and TADAAA perfect functionality!

I also noticed the pc samsung was very similarly though better constructed (full metallic pickup assembly etc).

How I'm the only one in the entire world with this rattle problem was bugging the hell out of me, as was sending my otherwise perfect-for-five-months 360 to MS to be replaced with a possibly crashing refurb.

Now sadly I had to cut the sticker on the drive to get the cap out so if my box now breaks down later I have to get a core unit and swap the drives out  sleep.gif

I took shots of the innards of the tosh samsung if anybody wants them. Cheers!

edit: terribly sorry about waking such an old thread but I thought I'd end the story.