xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 360 Prone To Dma Exploits  (Read 1140 times)

atlanta800

• Archived User
360 Prone To Dma Exploits
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 12:45:00 AM »

After some of the things stated and especially the findings of Free60, I'm not seeing this as possible at all. With the Hypervisor doing checksums on the RAM, its going to be near impossible to get anything running without the hypervisor panicing and making your xbox 'splode.

DaBiscuit

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(atlanta800 @ Nov 26 2005, 07:52 AM) View Post

After some of the things stated and especially the findings of Free60, I'm not seeing this as possible at all. With the Hypervisor doing checksums on the RAM, its going to be near impossible to get anything running without the hypervisor panicing and making your xbox 'splode.

This Hypervisor stuff is a joke, though, isn't it? That's just silly talk...

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(DaBiscuit @ Dec 1 2005, 07:05 PM) View Post

This Hypervisor stuff is a joke, though, isn't it? That's just silly talk...

xbox-linux has alwayts been prone to hyperbole when it comes to stuff exploding (they said splitting your TSOP will cause the MCPX to explode, lol)

im certain the hypervisor will cause the 360 to crash, shut down or reboot if any checks fail

MS wouldnt make the hypervisor cause any permanent damage jus because some data failed a checksum, simple corruption can cause a check to fail, it may have nothign to do with a hack attempt

sentinel0

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »

Not sure if any o you have read any of Bruce Schneier's work but he mentions dma exploit's are a weakness for any computer security.  it's almost like ghost threads that get processed.  I do dout that the dma will get exploited in the 360 but i do believe it possible to some extent to avoidthe hypervisor this way.

DaBiscuit

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 02:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Dec 2 2005, 04:20 PM) View Post

xbox-linux has alwayts been prone to hyperbole when it comes to stuff exploding (they said splitting your TSOP will cause the MCPX to explode, lol)

I see your point.  laugh.gif

I'm certain the hypervisor will cause the 360 to crash, shut down or reboot if any checks fail

MS wouldnt make the hypervisor cause any permanent damage jus because some data failed a checksum, simple corruption can cause a check to fail, it may have nothign to do with a hack attempt.

Yeah, that's the part I refuse to believe. All manner of bugs could cause the Hypervisor to panic, and even MS don't want the 360 going critical for no real reason...

pez2k

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(The Dude @ Nov 23 2005, 11:00 PM) View Post

They are allowing us to boot one of their executable files off a cdr (for original xbox game capatability) so it seems it does not have any kind of media check.

The Dreamcast didn't have any special media check, and look what happened there.

It's more likely that the Xbox emulator update executable is simply signed to run from any media, rather than no signing at all on anything. If MS had wanted to, they could have released executables for the original Xbox that would run from any media, but there was no reason to. I'm pretty much 100% certain that all other 360 executables will be media signed.

The Dreamcast actually did have media checks, but the unfortunate oversight was that the accepted types were GD-ROM and CD-R. Sega eventually fixed it, but by then the console was already dying of piracy.
Pages: 1 [2]