xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Stepmania X  (Read 104 times)

georgc

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« on: April 27, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »

There have been a few new releases of stepmania for the computer. The new versions have fixed alot of bugs that plagued the game. Is there any plans for the old stepmaniaX to be updated?

Amything

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »

Has anyone been able to compile it? Supposidly it should be possible.

nemt

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »

Like all opensource projects, the porters seem to have lost interest.

Amything

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »

I tried to raise some interest of the original team without success. Perhaps they are not fully aware how popular the xbox version of there game is. Maybe if we donate a xbox to the team or something they would start optimizing the code so any john doe could compile it. It's really a shame that Stepmania on Xbox isn't all it could be, after all the game is designed to be played in the livingroom on a TV, not off a computer screen.

notsloth

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 10:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (nemt @ Apr 28 2004, 10:29 AM)
Like all opensource projects, the porters seem to have lost interest.

While normally listening to people kiss the dev's collective ass makes me sick, I feel like I've gotta comment on that one ..

Firstly, one of the best things about open source projects is that IF a dev loses interest, or concentrates on real life or other projects or whatever, you can modify it yourself. Cant program? Learn. And if you're not willing to learn you're in no position to critisize those that are on their lack of interest.

Now if it was a dead project with CLOSED source (and as far as I know Stepmania-X is neither) I'd be a lot more concerned. Nothing more frustrating than knowing that theres never gonna be any more updates to what should be a great program.

This post has come off a little more negative than I'd hoped, please keep in mind it is intended as a general statement and not a personal attack :)

qbie

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

There is a visual studio project file included in the source for SM, but I've tried to compile it without much success. I think xport had to hack it to work properly as some of the libraries wouldn't work on an xbox which is why his version didn't have video support etc..

Maybe if a few of us got together and compared notes... I'd be quite willing to setup a forum on my site for discussion of SM on xbox where a few of us could get together and discuss this, PM me if anyone is interested!

q

notsloth

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »

Xport hasnt made his modified source available? That seems a little odd, considering stepmania is GPL'd. Did his code get merged back into stepmania CVS ? Is it available on request ?

EDIT: well I've put a few hours into trying to compile alpha18, got rid of most of the errors but theres a few things that I cant seem to fix. Problems with 'xtl' and custom_launch_params / undocumented.h are causing the most trouble. Anyone got any info on what libs the xbox ver is sposed to be compiled with ?

This post has been edited by notsloth on Apr 28 2004, 08:37 PM

drkhwk

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »

Sorry I can't be of any help with porting/compiling Stepmania source for the Xbox (YET), but I would just like to say I'd really love to see a newer version of Stepmania X released. It has sooo much potential. I'm sure a lot of other people out there would really appreciate it as well.

georgc

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »

I know nothing about programming, but if i could help in any way whatsoever just tell me what to do

This post has been edited by georgc on Apr 29 2004, 01:14 PM

georgc

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »

please dont let this die

nemt

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (georgc @ Apr 29 2004, 09:11 AM)
I know nothing about programming, but if i could help in any way whatsoever just tell me what to do

You can either learn to program or stop complaining.

Good intentions don't write the code.

georgc

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 04:45:00 AM »

im not complaining
so shut up

nemt

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 04:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (georgc @ Apr 30 2004, 07:42 AM)
im not complaining
so shut up

QUOTE (georgc @ Apr 29 2004, 09:45 PM)
please dont let this die

This post has been edited by nemt on Apr 30 2004, 11:50 AM

chilin_dude

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 05:15:00 AM »

Um 'please' isn't complaining, it's making a plea.

Amything

• Archived User
New Stepmania X
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »

If there wasn't for Xport there would probably be no stepmaniaX. No one is complaining, we just wan't the work to continue.

Nosloth: you seem to be close, maybe if you contact the devolopers they could help you along? There is some info here: http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/support.php on a mailling list.

According to a post I saw on ddrmaniax it shoulds be compilable.