xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mameox Development Fund  (Read 110 times)

sparks

• Archived User
Mameox Development Fund
« on: February 09, 2004, 09:58:00 PM »

Hi,

This is a thread to start a fund for the development of mameox. Things like VMM and Lightgun support will really add to the enjoyment/playability of mameox and dont feel there is enough development support for these features. As I can in no way program I am trying to setup a fund to go to the first person/people to implement both of these features into MameOx. I know of no way to encourage development better than some cold green cash. Things like paypal (alternatives?) accounts will have to be created (ideas anyone?).

It may not be much but I commit myself to 30 USD to begin this fund.

I hope all of the people in the xbox-scene will work with me on this one.

Thanks

Sparks  <

Prican24

• Archived User
Mameox Development Fund
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 11:01:00 PM »

i rather hear this from the guy that make the emu rather then some guy that just joined.

no offence but i just don't trust you and i'm sure a mod would argee  <

sparks

• Archived User
Mameox Development Fund
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 11:48:00 PM »

I understand hence why I have no desire to handle the money factor myself. I am just eager to help out the dev's of the project in any way I can. I felt this was a good place to start.. if people can suggest ideas to get this moving itd really be appreciated.  <

Mclane

• Archived User
Mameox Development Fund
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 03:05:00 AM »

I'd have a read of the scene front page at the moment for a heads up on the project..

Cash does not seem to be an issue, rather time and every day problems like WORK :)

VMM etc are all on the back burner till at least mid april unless some new programmers step forward to help the open project.

Xport.....Your community needs you ;)

Joking aside, I do hope that the above person may be doing what I think he is and it's non mame related.  <

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Mameox Development Fund
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »

This is a thread to start a fund for the development of mameox

Stupid Idea.

The author's announcement clearly states that he intends to continue work on MAMEoX later in the year. Just wait patiently. Whether it takes 3 months, 6 months, or whatever length of time to implement all these new features it will be worth the wait, throwing money at it is completely pointless.  <

noodle1009

• Archived User
Mameox Development Fund
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »

If you want to help us out, there are plenty of ways you can do it without involving money.  We could use testers, specifically if you can compile your own versions from the source and are interested in working with testing the dev CVS tree.  You should be somewhat familiar with MAME, know how to ascertain if something is a problem in the MAME core or MAMEoX by using mametesters and other available resources, and you should also be somewhat familiar with how to use CVS.  We can help with all of these things if you are willing to learn.

If you can't do this, test the currently released versions and report bugs using sourceforge / status reporting tool on the mameox website.  Helping out users on the forums is helping too, sometimes I like to take breaks from helping others in the forums (as you may have noticed, I've been MIA for a while too).

We could also use some more coders to help out Erik and opcode.  But hey, you knew that already :)

I think that most of the people on the project would be against taking cold hard cash.  MAME is open source, and if we took donations for work on it would probably piss off hardworking MAMEdevs out there that routinely do their work for free.  If you want to support these guys with money, help out the general MAME project (I think there's a paypal account set up to help guru get pcbs to dump for the MAME project, do a search for this in google or something to find more info).

This is besides the fact that taking money creates an obligation to work on MAMEoX.  The people involved in the project do it for fun, and obligations have a funny way of making fun evaporate from the room.  I would much rather that MAMEoX stay free, fun and rewarding for the programmers involved.  Anything you can do to help in that regard is welcome.

If you're interested in helping from a development / testing standpoint, the lot of us are on efnet in channel #mameox.  Keep in mind that this is a DEVELOPMENT channel, you won't find any downloads of any kind - binaries / roms / anything like that.  Also keep in mind that we're seldom doing a lot of chatting there either unless there is something we're actively working on (like making a release or testing something in particular).  I am sort of a cranky guy and I don't react well to 'warez romz' requests and other general use questions that get asked in the channel.  We're not really there to be a MAMEoX helpdesk, the channel is to facilitate communication within our team.  <

Iriez

• Administrator
Mameox Development Fund
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 12:11:00 PM »

Its definitly in the best interest of this entire scene to contribute funds to the MAME team, not towads erik or opcode, though i doubt they would accept anyways.

Erik already stated he was going to get back into the project mid april, so have a little patience ; )  <

nemt

• Archived User
Mameox Development Fund
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 12:45:00 PM »

Now now, I'm sure this isn't some kind of scam...he's probably well-intentioned, but just misinformed about the development process.

If it would help, I'd donate money...but Mameox is a time issue, not a funding issue...  <