xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox360 Stripped And Reported  (Read 320 times)

linflas

• Archived User
Xbox360 Stripped And Reported
« on: December 30, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »

I would not even guess as to what their report would cost, I am sure, Billy Gatez could afford it, but not me, but a great read, thanks for the link.

mirx999

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 11:03:00 PM »

this was on the x-s front page a few weeks ago....they stripped it right around the release date, with detailed analyses of the CPU and GPU.  And yeah, the report's probably quite pricey, and might get us nowhere.

bacchus21

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »

What I don't understand, is how have they got around the 'DMCA' Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

I would of thought these people would be perfect candidates for prosecution.

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(bacchus21 @ Dec 31 2005, 02:21 PM) View Post

What I don't understand, is how have they got around the 'DMCA' Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

I would of thought these people would be perfect candidates for prosecution.

They would have to SPECIFICALLY be doing something to circumvent the copy protection.  All they did was photograph the inside of the circuits and create schematics.  From what I understand, this type of reverse engineering is legal if it's used in an educational way.

shakaru

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

Ok. As to the question of is this report important and would it aide in the process of creating a modchip or other circumventive device on the 360. The answer is yes. In the hands of an talented electrical engineer, this would be very useful. However, it is not worth the cost due to this is only one small path with the 360 we can take, the software platform and the Hypervisor.

BTW: These kind of reports are quite expensive as to they cater to multi-billion dollar corperations who wish to enter into a new technology market and want to be able to reporduce simular production with a unique design. A report for the computer on a LG DVD player carried a 800k pricetag acording to a memo.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

Anyone using this board or this thread to continue donation talk, or to gather funds in any way by continuing fund rasing discussions here won't be on this board any longer. We have long established rules regarding donations.

This is a technical discussion thread, keep it topical about technical discussional and not talk about donations or fund raising.

all the fund raising posts have been removed.

sentinel0

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »

the stuff from chipworks is very detailed when you start violating the dmca is when you start posting the bios or even portions of it or the firmware.  understanding how something works for the most part aign't illegal yet copying it and sharing it is.  I think but this is very old news and these tech forums are getting worse and worse with the moderating i know you guys do it for free as a hobby i get on here my self as a hobby but the good information is being clouded by OMG HAXOR HAXOR new XBOX 180 * 2 modchip coming out with 5 threads or this month old info being put back in the threads i think the tech forums should be block for posting by anyone that has not been authorized.