xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Is A Modchip Really Necessary?  (Read 1589 times)

Rodstorm

• Archived User
Is A Modchip Really Necessary?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »

I can see your point of view bdf24 but I dont agree with it.
We're talking videogames not thousands of dollars on cars and that was a poor analogy.
Stealing?????? You've never taped a tv show off your tv, thats stealing copyrighted material as well.
Like you said some things are better left to yourself.
I have 3 kids, you obviously dont.
MS have my money as I brought thier console but if I can get something for cheaper anyway possible thats the same quality then of course I and the majority of people are going to have a look at it.
Make games cheaper and the bulk of piracy would go away, the software companies since the Commodore64 still havent learnt this.
Of course MS knows about piracy but they win as they sell more consoles to play the games, that was Sony's big card with the psx one.
And as for his thread being necessary, you dont have to read it.....theres plenty more on here to read.

torvald

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rodstorm @ Mar 5 2006, 12:46 AM) View Post

I can see your point of view bdf24 but I dont agree with it.
We're talking videogames not thousands of dollars on cars and that was a poor analogy.
Stealing?????? You've never taped a tv show off your tv, thats stealing copyrighted material as well.

Not really thats called "fair use" and is legal, now if you turn around and sell it for a profit then it's illegal

Of course MS knows about piracy but they win as they sell more consoles to play the games, that was Sony's big card with the psx one.

I would suspect abotu 25% of the peolpe is the "Scene" are employees of MS and other Game companies.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rodstorm @ Mar 4 2006, 06:46 PM) View Post

And as for his thread being necessary, you dont have to read it.....theres plenty more on here to read.

MS has lost money on EVERY Xbox sold since launch day (and still loses money on each one to this day), so that's not a valid point.

But I do agree that games are overpriced and lowering the price would eliminate a large part of piracy.  Obviously, many will still pirate, but many will also not.

As for bdf24, can I return a $50 game if I play it and it's horrible?  Can I rent a game and exchange it the next day telling them it's a "bad" game?  With prices so high, you don't want to make the mistake of getting a peice of crap for $50, or $7 if you rent.  Not saying I agree with anyone, just playing Devil's Advocate.

sumguy

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »

Not really thats called "fair use" and is legal

actually under the DMCA the concept of fair use was pretty much eliminated. if a copyright holder wanted to prosecute you for taping a program they could. now the obvious question is then how do dvr's fit into that? the answer is that they don't. the problem with the dmca is that large portions of it would be struck down if a company were to try and persue all of the legal remedies that it provides. that is the biggest reason copyright holders are so very carefull about who they sue: people in obvious violation (file traders) or people without the means to adequately defend themselves and therefore forced to settle. this does a couple of things. first it creates legal precedent and inch at a time, and second, it establishes in the mind of the public at large the idea that copyrights are absolute. perception then becomes reality and it doesn't really matter anymore what the law really says.

FoxRacR17

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2006, 12:37:00 AM »

Yes a modchip is necessary, we need to be able to run unsigned code which has probably been mentioned already in this thread.  The main reason i want the xbox360 to get hacked is because there is so much possibility with it.  Once it gets hacked, i'm sure someone will port of windows xp or vista and then BAM! Super computer!  muhaha.gif

dinzy

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(bdf24 @ Mar 4 2006, 05:01 PM) View Post

I'm sorry but your way of thinking is WRONG! Regardless of whether or not you believe they charge too much for a game is pointless. Pirating is illegal no matter how you look at it. Not everyone does it. If you can't afford a game don't buy it. Save up for it. Maybe rent it. I don't really see a legitimate argument in blaming the software companies for pirating. They charge what they charge. And steeling is steeling no matter how you look at it. If you were selling a car and I thought you were charging too much would you care if I just stole it from you instead? Probably not!
I don't mean to be a prude but the whole trying to justify piracy thing is retarded! You can't justify it! And I guess if you gotta do it just shut up about it and quit posting in public forums about it. Something’s are better left to your self!

Piracy and theft, in the classical sense,  are not the same thing and I am really getting sick of people making that analogy.  If you were to steal my car I would be without a car.  If you go into a store and steal a cd then they do not have the CD to sell and are out the wholesale cost of buying it and any profit gained if they need that one cd to sell to a customer who wanted it.  When you download something or copy it you are not getting the actual product, rather a digital representation of that product that retains most of the original functionality.  This is clearly different than stealing a physical item.  If anything it is closer to patent infringement since you are taking an "idea" and using it w/o obtaining permission or paying licensing fees.  

I am not justifying anything  I am just pointing out that there really isn't a 1:1 correspondance to physical theft and intellectual property theft.  I also want to point out that intellectual property theft is driven by economics to some extent.  With the xbox one needed to pay for the mod chip, means of installation(soldering iron, etc) ,DVD R drive/media and or a larger HDD and let's not forget the actual console/pc/mp3player, bandwith etc.  Whether the pirater realizes it or not he/she is paying less for the game/album rather than getting it for free and at the same time many other parties are profiting from it.  So in a sense the user you are bashing is just stating the truth.  If games were cheaper then there would be less incentive to pirtate due to these startup costs.  It may not justify the action but it is true.  

constanboi

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(ic3man1999 @ Mar 14 2006, 02:11 AM) View Post

Well said dinzy.

I mean i read an advert on a DVD once that was making the comparison with piracy to theft (the add is on alot of UK rental dvd's) and it also suggested that piracy funds terrorism LOL im sure that every single crime in the land can somehow be tied to another more serious crime at some point in history but thats a pretty big gernalisation

haha Ive seen that advert.. 'funds terrorism'  laugh.gif x50

hazpha

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

maybe all us gamers should form a kind of strike and not buy any more games until the put game prices down. We could put banners on websites and everything. Just an idea though.

bdf24

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(hazpha @ Mar 17 2006, 03:29 PM) View Post

maybe all us gamers should form a kind of strike and not buy any more games until the put game prices down. We could put banners on websites and everything. Just an idea though.

Yeah, that'll work  rolleyes.gif
How about this. Just wait a year or so till you can pick up the same game in a bin for $5.00 at the store.

Grim187

• Archived User
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(hazpha @ Mar 17 2006, 01:29 PM) View Post

Ya that wouldent work, ive been doing just that(not buying games) for years, i bleave the last game i bought was GT3 for ps2 in 2002, not to say i havent been given games like PDZ and Kameo by 360's SRC

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »

As long as backups can't be played on Live and chips have to be disabled it looks doubtful for 360 cheaters as the 360 doesn't seem to cache data like the Xbox did, you can run 360 games without a hard drive, so it must put it in a RAM which as far as i know can't be hacked like a cache.

networkBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(sinister slipknot @ Mar 18 2006, 02:49 AM) View Post

As long as backups can't be played on Live and chips have to be disabled it looks doubtful for 360 cheaters as the 360 doesn't seem to cache data like the Xbox did, you can run 360 games without a hard drive, so it must put it in a RAM which as far as i know can't be hacked like a cache.

Sure it can, it's just a lot harder.  There is no reason you can not patch the image in the memory chip its self, in fact I beleive that's how some PS2 chips worked?  A similar premise is how ICE works on the Windows kernal.
-nB

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

yeah in fact that is how current software exploits work... a good example would be the modified mechinstaller dash with edited live tab (which is only modified in the memorized msdash)

sasuke16

• Archived User
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

I need to know somethin'...I know almost everyone on this forum will call me moron but try respecting someone that maybe doesn't know alot on the 360  dry.gif . Heres my question: IS IT NOW POSSIBLE PLAYING BACKUPS 360 GAMES!?

vintage_guitar

• Archived User
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »

If you are in team Executor, or know how to flash your own FW. Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]