xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Is A Modchip Really Necessary?  (Read 1587 times)

linflas

• Archived User
Is A Modchip Really Necessary?
« on: December 30, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »

Because it is not just about stealing other people's hard work, i.e. "scene" release games.  It is about running unsigned code and homebrew apps.  XBMC, region free xbox, linksbox, and many others, a modchip is still something I want to see, so I can do more with my 360 than steal games from dev teams.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »

Uhmmm what security holes are found? are you serious. We have acomplished as close to nothing yet.

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »

And running hacked games (PGR3 with über fast cars for example) would KILL Live, as nobody wouldn't want to play against cheaters. And that's one thing MS definitely wouldn't want. It's good that modchips don't let you access Live, at least modmakers have some moral left wink.gif

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(wmadoss @ Dec 30 2005, 07:53 PM) View Post

Haha do you think its the "modmakers" that decide if u can go on live with the modchip or not..
If it was possible to go online with a modchip enabled and play backups without being banned they would have done that a loooong time ago.

Well, yeah smile.gif At least some hackers have morality (like the Xbox-Linux guys trying to prevent the use of exploits to run backups smile.gif)... but anyway this is OT so let's not continue it biggrin.gif

Anyway, cheaters would kill live, so it's fine to me to ban everyone that goes to XBL with mod on. Or just using a hakced XEX for that matter. Fair play wink.gif

dalezer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »

MODCHIP = LOTS LOTS OF $$$$$$$$ for developers.

Twan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »

Ya....I think with new security holes being found daily, a modchip won't be the main priority for hacking the 360.

Master X

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »

I am not modding my Xbox 360 even if there is a mod. I just need a bigger HD, 20 GB is way to small. I hope that the bigger HD's that are going to be released dont cost 249$. The 20 GB is 129.99 Canadian.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Twan @ Jan 2 2006, 07:20 AM) View Post

Ya....I think with new security holes being found daily, a modchip won't be the main priority for hacking the 360.

Again....WHAT security holes? Can you name 1? Are you actually involved in hacking the 360 since you say that?

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 01:42:00 AM »

Um lets see, the kiosk disc works on a dvdr, the dvd drive can be unlocked, and you can run ANY program from MCE on your 360!  Then there is the swap trick!

rotfl.gif      rotfl.gif       rotfl.gif

An aside: Hope when this happens its another 29 wire, no make that 40 wire with 10 traces to cut.  

If someone makes a slayer cd for the 360 im going to blow his moms head off.  

Its just gotten WAY too thick in here.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 04:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Jan 2 2006, 09:49 AM) View Post

Um lets see, the kiosk disc works on a dvdr, the dvd drive can be unlocked, and you can run ANY program from MCE on your 360!  Then there is the swap trick!
 rotfl.gif      rotfl.gif       rotfl.gif
An aside: Hope when this happens its another 29 wire, no make that 40 wire with 10 traces to cut.  

If someone makes a slayer cd for the 360 im going to blow his moms head off.  

Its just gotten WAY too thick in here.

kiosk disc is nice it can be burned but has nothing to do with hacking the xbox or security holes

I dunno what you mean with the dvd drive but how does this relate to hacking the xbox?

and what programs can you run? Can you run unsigned XEX files??? NO

swap trick again has nothing to do with hacking the xbox. it's still running signed code.

There is a difference between things we can acomplish in general and reverse engineering the xbox security system.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

the kiosk disc works on a dvdr

so you can burn some demos and play them, big whoop, and thats not a security hole in the 360 itself, its an oversight when the disc was made

the dvd drive can be unlocked

thats still not a security hole, for example hotswapping an xbox1 HD to get access to it wouldnt be worth crap if we didnt have a softmod to copy to it....and we dont have anythign for 360

you can run ANY program from MCE on your 360

so windows can run windows apps and thats a security hole in the 360? read soem threads, the 360 isnt running anything but remote desktop, the pc does all work

Then there is the swap trick!

i still have yet to see any evidence this is anything but pre-cached data being run, besides, if this does become an issue, MS will just release games with multiple xbes that load and reload every few mins, the media checks will prevent it from reloading off a backup

brienj

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 02:09:00 AM »

ROFL!!!

I guess some people didn't notice your sarcasm Heet.  Don't worry, I did.  wink.gif

I agree, it is getting awfully thick in here lately.  biggrin.gif

mksoftware

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »

Well, we don't exactly know what exploits have been found! You won't hear a DEV team telling it!

Neilinator99

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »

Hey you think theres ever any possibilty of a softmod comin out for it
probly not right?
 i mean one that isnt pointless

mathers3000

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »

I personally think a modchip is better.  I'd rather have a modd like xbox rather than one like the Dreamcast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6