xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Spong: First Xbox 360 Modchip 'Within Weeks' ?  (Read 2142 times)

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
Spong: First Xbox 360 Modchip 'Within Weeks' ?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »

Bullshit. They prolly got it from teamx that pretends to show something soon, wich is bullshit as well.

ejx982

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »

I'm actually suprised why MS hasn't tried a variety of of security measures across various models of XBOX 360s.  Say all the consoles from 2005-2006 will have protection A, but consoles 2007-2008 will haev protection B, that is backwards compatabile with A, etc.  This way they can step 1 step ahead of the game, if this was planned from the start, this way diff chips would be needed for all systems.

This would be a cool stunt however, if "So called 360 chip" is to increase sales of the 360 hehe.  As for me, until they can put an XBMC to X360, with a large HD, I'm staying with XBOX, it's all i use my XBOX for...

ejx982

Avenger 2.0

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »

@ejx982

Designing new protection costs money. Changing all the lines in the production plant costs more money. Keeping everything backwards compatible is even more difficult. It's just not worth it.

Sure if is will ever get cracked, they'll plug the hole (if it's possible and no design flaw).
More important is Xbox Live. You're just not going to get on it with a modded xbox.

TheBigBentley

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »

It actually shocks me to see how many people here have no clue about the xbox scene. any fool that calls an artical stupid and then trys to say that you cant back up 360 games is an idiot. as for the original xbox it really wasnt that easy to mod and i think it took well more than 2 months to do so. weather this news is true or not its inevitible before it happens anyways. all security can be broke especialy since it uses standard DVD format. Only problem is that there arent enough systems on the market to get them into the hands of modders, only 395k at the moment in the US i believe. The price of this thing needs to drop too. i would never pay 400 dollars for a so called next gen system. and if you buy the core system your loosing all the next gen features. I suggest anyone thinking about getting one now to wait till the first price drop and a complete mod chip comes out. heres my list of resons not to buy.

Price of System.
Price of Games.
Cant play Divx or Xvid! what kind of media center is this?
Overheating.
Poor release games that dont truely demonstarte the 360s power.

My 2 cents

Gunfingers

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Dec 20 2005, 03:01 PM) View Post

EDIT:  I just want everyone to remeber how hard the original Xbox was supposed to be to crack. Remember, MS hired hackers to try and hack their system before it was released.  How long did it take to mod?  A couple weeks?  And now there are so many more people working on this whole thing.  But, anyway, wow if this is true.

You're kidding, right?  It took about a year to crack the Xbox - a little less - and longer to have useful chips available at retail.  And this was pretty much a standard x86 architecture.

I just don't buy that anyone could have cracked the 360 security yet - especially in a widely applicable manner.  Spong is always posting "made up crap" as "rumors" that become "stories".

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »

I won't believe it until a respected Mod posts that he has witnessed it..  sleeping.gif

Gunfingers

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(TheBigBentley @ Dec 20 2005, 04:55 PM) *

and if you buy the core system your loosing all the next gen features.

You can not seriously post that statement while calling others out on ignorance.  What are all of these "next-gen" features you'll be missing out on by not having a HDD?  Backwards compatability?  

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »

I stand firm that there will NEVER be mod chips for the 360. if it ever gets cracked, it will be threw a software hack only. Since it will probably be a software hack then that means there is no money to be made from chip makers on the 360. No money makes it very hard to put a big effort into developing a good cracking scheme

Am I wrong in thinking that the 360's security is built into the CPU itself? So that would mean that the CPU itself would need to be bypassed or replaced.

But I have been known to be wrong from time to time.

This post has been edited by Ranger72: Dec 21 2005, 12:32 AM

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Dec 21 2005, 12:02 AM) *

I stand firm that there will NEVER be mod chips for the 360. if it ever gets cracked, it will be threw a software hack only. Since it will probably be a software hack then that means there is no money to be made from chip makers on the 360. No money makes it very hard to put a big effort into developing a good cracking scheme

Am I wrong in thinking that the 360's security is built into the CPU itself? So that would mean that the CPU itself would need to be bypassed or replaced.

I think hacking the DVD firmware holds a lot of promise.  Afterall, if the DVD drive says it's a pressed disc (even though it's really a DVD-R backup) and it contains the right signature, it should run.  I'm guessing that this will be what comes out first.  A lot of the discussion in the DVD forums makes a lot of sense and I'm sure it's a heck of a lot easier than trying to get unsigned code through the hypervisor.

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

I'm actually suprised why MS hasn't tried a variety of of security measures across various models of XBOX 360s. Say all the consoles from 2005-2006 will have protection A, but consoles 2007-2008 will haev protection B, that is backwards compatabile with A, etc. This way they can step 1 step ahead of the game, if this was planned from the start, this way diff chips would be needed for all systems.

This would be a cool stunt however, if "So called 360 chip" is to increase sales of the 360 hehe. As for me, until they can put an XBMC to X360, with a large HD, I'm staying with XBOX, it's all i use my XBOX for...

ejx982

quit giving them ideas! lol

K-Naledge

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Dec 20 2005, 06:02 PM) *

Yes, free or "not paid for" development has always been a dead end endeavor.

Funny how I got this story linked off of my RSS feeder I downloaded via Sourceforge.net

Wait, you might not have ever heard of that place.

You see, there's this place where over 10 million developers have gathered to hsare ideas and project pages and code for free.

But youre probably right. Developing something just for the namesake of it or cult status or personal wallow is most definitely fruitless. No one has ever done it before. Not even those Free60 chaps or iND 07/04/03 blokes.

Ah well..

Did I just say blokes? FUCK.

Anyways... Would it not be possible to somehow intercept xbox-live targeted packet transmission to some sort of local proxy and bounce forward to some other box? Perhaps an emulated XBL net? Kai anyone? I'm more interested in someone figurig out a way to intercept those tasty stats updates and pop those into a real time SQL or XML tracker for live updates to web or local. Thoughts? Anyone?

- Greg

This post has been edited by K-Naledge: Dec 21 2005, 12:45 AM

PCBUILDERCHRIS

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »

someone said on page 2 that MS shoulda used hd dvd on thier system like ps3 uses blu rai because its like 15 to 30 gb well i fail to believe a game could be that big i can see some small version of blueray discs out there to burn games to oh and i bet and hope hd dvd and blueray will play basic dvd's so when some rich guy rips the first hd dvd or ps3 we will be able to burn it to a basic dvd because itll probably just have a 4 gig game and a 26 gig dummy file

oh and when 360 is modded we will probably be able to flash it or fool it to let us hook up hd dvd or blu ray disc drives i hope internally cuz usb s kinda tacky and slow (but i could go for an internal usb drive)

sorry for my bad english and no punctuation wich i never do im just in a hurry

kizmet

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2005, 05:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(PCBUILDERCHRIS @ Dec 20 2005, 05:14 PM) *

someone said on page 2 that MS shoulda used hd dvd on thier system like ps3 uses blu rai because its like 15 to 30 gb well i fail to believe a game could be that big i can see some small version of blueray discs out there to burn games to oh and i bet and hope hd dvd and blueray will play basic dvd's so when some rich guy rips the first hd dvd or ps3 we will be able to burn it to a basic dvd because itll probably just have a 4 gig game and a 26 gig dummy file
oh and when 360 is modded we will probably be able to flash it or fool it to let us hook up hd dvd or blu ray disc drives i hope internally cuz usb s kinda tacky and slow (but i could go for an internal usb drive)

sorry for my bad english and no punctuation wich i never do im just in a hurry

EVERY POST YOU MAKE IS BS. HD DVD and BRDVD are HD format which take more than 4gb for a movie.

djstylze

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

I wonder if it would be possible to hinder a modchip by pulling the same stunt $ony did with the PSP.  Constantly release bios-like upgrades and games then require version 1.X to run.  I'm not expecting a modchip soon, but I do know that you can't compare the 1 year it took the xbox to be modded when the 360 has a increasingly larger number of groups working on it.

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »

Spong once again talking smack
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9