xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Spong: First Xbox 360 Modchip 'Within Weeks' ?  (Read 2133 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Spong: First Xbox 360 Modchip 'Within Weeks' ?
« on: December 20, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »

Spong: First Xbox 360 Modchip 'Within Weeks' ?-- Posted by XanTium on December 20 15:27 EST
This news/rumor is coming from Spong.com so take it with a grain of salt:

From what we have been able to gather, the first mod-chips for the 360 will be available within a month. Speaking to us under terms of anonymity, one source close to the research and development of some well known current-generation chips said, "We've been seeing partial success from some corners [in China] though nothing that could go on sale yet." This paints a dark picture of the console industry and the aggressive blight it suffers. "Everyone is working on a full-functioning 'do everything' chip that will take apart the 360 and let users do what they will, though we expect a first-generation bypass device that will allow back-ups within weeks. The first on the market is likely to be complex and might not be particularly good, though that's just a stopgap before real chips become available."

There is some hope for Microsoft however, "Everyone is finding it difficult [to make the chips work correctly] as Microsoft's security is the best we've seen to date for a disc-system. If it weren't for the fact that DVD is used, it's likely that further development wouldn't have been worth anyone's time."

Read More: Spong.com.

mitch2025

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

awsome news!! beerchug.gif
cant wait till the chips come out

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »

Interesting news.. I just hate seeing it posted on SPong given their history for producing news and their news just not panning out sometimes.

Oh well. Least I didn't post it.

Nathan561

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »

Sweet, I'm not sure whether i would want to waste my brand new console on a first generation chip with few features or a very complicated backup method, only for an incredible hard drive storage, do everything chip to come out a few months later.  Maybe I'll just wait to see how this pans out...

Skyblast

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »

Wow. That fact that even that much progress has been made is amazing. I'm no engineer, but in college I did have some electronics classes where we would watch data pass through on the circuit boards through an oscilloscope, and it was fairly complex for me. I can't begin to imagine bypassing all the encryption and such the 360 uses. Kudos to whatever team has gotten that far.

BlueCop

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »

Whoever wrote the article has inaccurate information about the pi releases and the dump tools. If they can't understand that i doubt they are talking to any modchip insiders. i just don't beleive it.

Sounds like hear-say rumors like one of those games where people tell their neighbor and pass it around

also these chips aren't going to sell well till people can make their own backups. which isn't possible right now. i haven't tried the swap dvd thing yet from the french forum though.

This post has been edited by BlueCop: Dec 20 2005, 09:42 PM

boxxa

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »

If this news is valid then the xbox 360 scene has just expanded becuase I personally know alot of people who have been putting off getting an xbox 360 until a sucessful mod chip is made and now that there is one rumored, many people will find more fun with them.

News about them I remember was it would take almost a year as some people were saying until a sucessful mod chip was made, however, big modding groups first disassembled the dvd encryption and the core security was just a short ways a way. I cant wait to see this.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 01:54:00 PM »

OMGWTFBBQ
First time I've ever used that ^^^, so take it easy on me.  I just found out what it meant.

This is amazing, but I have to say I'm just a little skeptical.  I know most of the mod talk had gone on in private as the pros (chip teams) work together, often in secret.  They know the first team to release a chip has a goldmine on their hands and don't want to share their discoveries and progress.  God, I hope this is true.  I don't care if it's garbage, even if it's just a proof of concept.  Wow.  I'm blown away by this thing.

EDIT:  I just want everyone to remeber how hard the original Xbox was supposed to be to crack. Remember, MS hired hackers to try and hack their system before it was released.  How long did it take to mod?  A couple weeks?  And now there are so many more people working on this whole thing.  But, anyway, wow if this is true.

This post has been edited by CattyKid: Dec 20 2005, 09:59 PM

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 01:54:00 PM »

it sounds like spong's inside source is that ass clown that talked about the 1 wire mod. LOL. Spong don't know shiaaate and that's all that needs to be said.
For Boxxa, the DVDs were damn near the same as the original xbox, so not much was needed there. Just a few minor adjustments. Getting info from the DVDs and getting actual info from the hardware is HUGELY different.

thebucketmouse

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »

Bluecop- I thought those ripped game ISOs that were released were able to be burned to a disc, therefore making a backup? Though I've obviously never tried it.

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »

I call probable bs on this one. If it were that easy to make a console accept non-original dvds and run code from them, then it would have been done in the previous generation xbox as well (which used standar DVD drives) and we wouldnt need modchips to run modified bioses.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(thebucketmouse @ Dec 20 2005, 03:07 PM) *

Bluecop- I thought those ripped game ISOs that were released were able to be burned to a disc, therefore making a backup? Though I've obviously never tried it.

right, but bluecop said people want to make their own backups, not download them

i think the story is fake, MS probably paid them to run it so the rest of us think "oh, they got a chip already, i dont have to keep working on this" lol

mbratton

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »

I have never and will never believe spong - they should just change thier name to bullshittechstories.com

emko

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 02:16:00 PM »

that sounds like some BS! but im hopeing its not

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

Whoever wrote that article needs to work on their english or atleast proof read a little.  

Like most, i'll believe it when i see it.  Spong is crap anyways, so only time will tell.

Caster.

This post has been edited by caster420: Dec 20 2005, 10:19 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9