xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Palmos Emulator  (Read 169 times)

CyberPunk

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« on: June 23, 2003, 03:38:00 PM »

Is there a PalmOS emulator for the xbox?

FUCKMICROSOFT

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 04:44:00 PM »

i was like "What the fuck is palmos!" then i read the post lol :lol:  

Ub3rn3wb

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 05:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (FUCKMICROSOFT @ Jun 23 2003, 05:37 PM)
i was like "What the fuck is palmos!" then i read the post lol :lol:

Ah, the benefits of punctuation.  :D

Sorry bud, don't believe there is a Palm OS version for Xbox.

Dante_Ali

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 06:32:00 PM »

I would seriously have to wonder - what would be the point of porting a PalmOS emulator to the Xbox? I see none whatsoever.  On a portable such as a PocketPC or *gasp* a GBA it might make sense to port the PalmOS since you get to fiddle around with tons of applications that are not available on either the GBA or WindowsCE. But for a console such as the Xbox  I see no point in this whatsoever - not for the games (let's face it - most of them consist of freeware/shareware type derivatives of classic arcade games and ports of emulators ) and certainly not for the OS.

CyberPunk

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 10:11:00 PM »

Well if there was no point, i wouldnt have asked.

I have heard the same response to just about every emulator idea.

"I don't see the point"

If you don't see the point then don't respond.

The reason to port anything to the xbox is to use it on the xbox instead of your pc or the actual device.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 10:16:00 PM »

You'll have to get used to the Dogma of the forum junkies, it is just the way of things. Sux don't it.  None the less it is fun to critque every now and then. :)

As for a Palm emu, I could think of a lot of good uses for one, that is if we could have it use the Ethernet port to connect to the net, and make sure it is compatable with the latest "color" OS. The only emu I am aware of is the one that I believe Palm wrote themselves. It is only for Winblows that I am aware of, and zophar.net should ahve more info on it. It is not open sourece as best I know, thus it could never be ported, but then again you may well be able to run it in Linux...

...NO WAIT, there is a Palm Emu in Linux too! Forgot about that, ya just install and hunt it down. :)

Dante_Ali

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 10:54:00 PM »

If you don't see the point then don't respond.

The reason to port anything to the xbox is to use it on the xbox instead of your pc or the actual device.

You're right, but I was just wondering why you want to emulate a PDA on a console - especially a handheld that is meant as a lightweight OS for taking notes, playing a few lightweight apps and games. I was just interested in your response, that's all. Obviously you wouldn't want to use this for apps or games. And I think the reason why you haven't seen one yet on the Xbox  is precisely because there's a lack of interest in doing it.

The only reason I can see for doing this would be for the ability to synchronize your Palm with your Xbox - and being a PocketPC user rather than a Palm user I don't know if the PalmOS emulators are capable of that yet.  I know for a fact there is synchronization software for PocketPC out there on Linux - maybe it's compatible with Palm too.

This post has been edited by Dante_Ali: Jun 25 2003, 05:58 AM

XDelusion

• Archived User
Palmos Emulator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 02:30:00 AM »

The Palm can do quite a bit more than simple business crap too, don't let the small system specs fool you. The programs are writting stable, compact, and use little or next to no resources much like the Amiga of yesterday before the days of M$ bloatware came into play. My friend had a Palm and even watched videos on it.

Regardless, I can see someone wanting to have a virtual Palm on there TV, if not to communicate with a real one, to at least have the good library of apps available, if not for some of the games. I think there is infact a "verson" of Serious Sam for Palm.