xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: General Question About Hard Drive Upgrade  (Read 26 times)

grkstl

• Archived User
General Question About Hard Drive Upgrade
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »

(reposted from another area as I see there is much more traffic here.... :/ sorry about the repost)

I'm sure that this has been asked countless times and I apologize in advance for that. But I just wanted to make sure before I actually started this project. I just recently learned that I can replace the current hard drive for my 360 without having to go out and pay the outrageous prices they charge for a pre-built one in the stores.

What I'm wondering is.... are there any chances of me getting banned for doing this? Also, if I'm looking to put in a cheaper 120 gig drive rather than the 250 one, what I need to get is the WD1200BEVS correct?

I tried to search for answers to the first question for a while but I found conflicting opinions on this so I just thought I'd come here to find out for sure.

I don't plan on installing any chips or anything like that, I really just need this extra space for add-ons and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance and again, sorry for asking a question that was probably previously asked many times in one way or another.

bamarquez226

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »

This has been answered numerous times.

So far there has no known way for MS to check if the drive is legit or homebrew because the digital signature that is on the firmware is official MS stuff.

As far as banning goes, people have been using the 120gb firmware ever since it was released for everyone to use. Obviously, it hasn't been a cause for banning, but things may change, who knows when it will be a "problem."

Just mod the BEVS drive and enjoy the space.

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »

Well I do not have your for sure answer and maybe you have seen this but here is a link to the forum stickies that SHOULD help you.

Scroll down until you see HDD modifications:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=471958

This link is  from there and is specific to upgrading the hard drive.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=601813

I do not know about banning because of it.. but I can say that IF you were to be banned.... there would be people ALL over stating they got banned because of it.  It would be listed in ALL tutorials stating you could get banned.

That is why you will or can only format the drives for 20g, 60g, & 120g & now maybe a 250g

So if you have a 200g you will or you can ONLY get 120g out of it... anyway you probably already know that.

Hope the link helps I think  you already know how to do it.