xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Avalaunch  (Read 1773 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2003, 12:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (akarnid @ Apr 16 2003, 03:03 PM)
Yeah, this release gets me pretty psyched already.  These guys already helped me alot with a few tutorials they have, and if they're gonna do away with the filesystem character limitations - more power to them I say.  It's given me mucho headaches already.

Ain't it great how much cool stuff keeps on surfacing for the 'box?

I do believe you are in for a real let down if this is the impression you got.

They aren't changing the "file system" of the Xbox. That would be unlikely without a BIOS change.

This is basically a 'swiss army knife' packaged as a dashboard. The "File System" they are talking about, I assume, is like boXplorer or their own xtoolbox apps, only built in to their 'dash' app.

All-in-all it looks nice. More is always better.

^Blazed^

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »

smile.gif

Beastie_

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 12:40:00 PM »

uhh.gif

shanafan

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 12:41:00 PM »

I am glad the Xbox is getting more attention with newer dashboards during this slow time.

the joker

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2003, 01:07:00 PM »

smile.gif

The IRC won't be started unless one starts it - fully optional smile.gif  And no, it's not a virii trap - it's not a mIRC.
p2p hubbing is in progress as well, just dont expect it in a couple more weeks.  Use the updater then, and you should have it :-)

-tj

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (the joker @ Apr 16 2003, 04:07 PM)
What blaz said, and like it's explained on the avalaunch-page :

it's the same pricinple that win95 used back in dos-days.
thisdo~1.txt -> thisdocument.txt

Lame if seen in dos - but all the tools we make to this, obsoletes the use of any other disk-reading tool that would need the long filenames ( except for emulators/xbmp - but I hope they will accept the code if I give it to them )

What's inside the engine is not the important part - it's the effect that counts - and the effect of a filesystem in my vocabulary, is a database on the disk that tells the loader where to load and what names they are given. That it's a software layer - shouldn't make a difference.
Slower because of ?  yea, absolutely.  1 ms extra per file - when you create/open it.  I think it's worth it smile.gif

The IRC won't be started unless one starts it - fully optional smile.gif  And no, it's not a virii trap - it's not a mIRC.
p2p hubbing is in progress as well, just dont expect it in a couple more weeks.  Use the updater then, and you should have it :-)

-tj

It's interesting, but I don't see it being terribly compelling. I suspect you'll get a rash of people asking about their games (Furious Kart Racing comes to mind) that don't copy to the hard drive from DVD, because of filename limitations, not understanding it's just a database layer.

To be honest, I don't like to fiddle with files on my Xbox at all, if possible.

For XBMP users, it might be nice, having an interface that's 'standard' to alias filenames to longer, more easily understandable ones, but users will have to understand it's a 'cooperative' system, and requires any programs using it to be built with a special library, and only homebrew apps will be able to use it at all.

^Blazed^

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 02:17:00 PM »

smile.gif

the joker

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »

smile.gif

-tj

Rollo

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2003, 03:06:00 PM »

biggrin.gif
i will be happy to check out anything new...get bored so easily.

KazuyaWaruasobi

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2003, 06:13:00 PM »

Sounds pretty good so far, but it'll take a lot to steal me away from Evo-X. . .

TheGreatVirus

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »

laugh.gif

leftyfb

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »

smile.gif

CaliSurfer008

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »

That would be AWESOME...but that is like McDonalds, BurgerKing, Wendys, and Carls Jr. Combining....basically probably not gonna happen

Jsmith

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »

I don't know about this.  All the programmers are all new members.  One of them is named the Joker, and they said that they started programming on April 1st.

Belated April Fools Joke?

Hopefully not.  Being that they sent Cali an Alpha version, I'm inclined to believe otherwise, but I'm still a little skeptical.

the joker

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »

smile.gif  I've had that a lot, but I think I learned a lot in xb-ftp.
Critical was prolly a wrong word ( sorry about that - english aint my primary language ), sceptical would be my choice. And not only is it a right to be - but it's a good thing imho. You're the only sceptic I've met so far and it does sharpen my ears, and get's one thinking. Just trying to make things as good as possible =)

That's what happened between XB-FTP and XtoolBox, we pushed eachother to the edge, and the rate we learned stuff in was nuts.  Now we made this together =)

And no, I don't see this dash mix with others. Not because of pride - but because this dash was developed to be what we felt was what we want.  I like it a lot like it is smile.gif  Adding "shoepolish" to it later for small graphics effects to put the touch on it, but don't expect major 3d things, we're keeping it in a useful level.

-tj
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7