xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Avalaunch  (Read 1772 times)

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« on: April 16, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »

Submit News Here // 10 Latest News Topics // RSS News Feed (XML)

New Dashboard: Avalaunch
>> Crusaders (the makers of xbftp) are working on a new Xbox dashboard.
With an FTP , IRC and TELNET client and also a build in file manager, application launcher and auto-updater Avalaunch offers quiet a nice set of (new) features.

Check out the official homepage for more info: http://www.crusaders.no

Thanks to J-S L. for the link.
Posted by:: XanTium
April 16 16:29 (GMT+1)

Been to the homepage and this sounds veryyy good... however good the mIRC feature is this is surely going to introduce viri though  mad.gif
If this is as good as it sounds we may need a new sub-forum! These guys must have been developing on the quite though because no--one seems to have hada clue this was in development... what you guys think about it?

^Blazed^

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 09:42:00 AM »

Hi,

I can assure you that this is for real  biggrin.gif

Instead of competing with each other, TJ, lys and me decided to
combine our efforts to create a new and awesome application for
the XBox scene.

Our new dashboard will contain (among other things):

- new 'filesystem' that will allow more than 42 characters for the folder and filenames
- new ftp-server
- new ftp-client
- new irc-client
- new telnet-client
- new xbe launcher
- new file manager

and so much more to come, we only programmed this for 14 days (1'st of April 2003 being first real day of work on it ).

Iretch, fluke, widar, lantus and a few others has tested it slightly for us - with great success and stability. Opening the 42 char limit of filenames was one thing - but also the really high speeds in the ftp-server and the new look of the launcher has gotten nice feedbacks.

Soon we are ready for upgrading from internal alpha to public beta - hopefully it'll be at the gathering - we just gotta fix a couple more issues.

Stay tuned...

-The Joker, ^Blazed^ (aka Tritium) and Lys

cool.gif

staticFLINT

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 08:52:00 AM »

sweeta! This may hold me off till Nexgen gets here....

hump

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 08:55:00 AM »

i think it looks like deepfried crap evox is way better i wont switch but its nice to see others bring some thing to the table for a change

thx hump

fadeaway

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 08:57:00 AM »

As long as this dash supports subfolders (IE. Action, RPG, Arcade, Sports underneath the Games folder) I will be happy. If Nexgen had subfolders I would be using it now because I personally think its a very good dash and the only major bug is the FTP issue.

Raised

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (^Blazed^ @ Apr 16 2003, 12:42 PM)
- new 'filesystem' that will allow more than 42 characters for the folder and filenames

Now that, I would be really glad to see as a feature! Good luck guys, I'm sure your work will be appreciated  beerchug.gif

Bravo

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 09:07:00 AM »

This is Awesome!!!!! Can you place videos (wmv) into the game lancher like mxm so you'd have a video preview?? I'm a huge fan of that.

EGOvoruhk

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »

How about some DVD Decrypting and MPG/Divx Encoding?  wink.gif  Then I would love you and your wonderful program, you could then conquer the world.

Ace25

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (fadeaway @ Apr 16 2003, 09:51 AM)
As long as this dash supports subfolders (IE. Action, RPG, Arcade, Sports underneath the Games folder) I will be happy. If Nexgen had subfolders I would be using it now because I personally think its a very good dash and the only major bug is the FTP issue.

Ummm, Evox has supported sub folders since day one.. it just people are too damn lazy to put the entries in the evox.ini themselves and rely on autoadd.. errr, if that's what your doing sorry.. I mixed up Evox and Nexgen when I read your post..  

This post has been edited by Ace25: Apr 16 2003, 04:22 PM

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »

Well, I see they took the time to dig at MXM (note at the bottom of the games launcher screenshot)... odd, since I will only be promoting it as a dash starting with 0.9i.

They also claim complete skinnability. Hmmmm.... depends on 'how' complete. 0.9i will (Really, it **WILL**) set a new standard in that department.

Still, Avalaunch looks like it has a lot of goodies. No ETA on their site, though.

At the very least, it will make a nice utility to launch from the main menu...  tongue.gif  ...which will soon be MXM for many people.  laugh.gif

nachonut

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 10:29:00 AM »

It sounds interesting. I mean i'm always open to new ideas, but I would have to see it in action before I commit to something.... wink.gif

the joker

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 11:22:00 AM »

BenJeremy, we have been working for 2 weeks on this, and we made IRC client, FTP server, xbe parser, telnet client and an entirely new filesystem from scratch.  ETA : sooner than you'd thought smile.gif
But I repeat, so noone misunderstands. Me, Blazed and lys's only intentions to make this - was not to show off nor anything else - hence the silence around this project before today, but to make something that covered what we wanted.

Why evo-x, nexgen and mxm is taking so much time - is beyond me, and I don't even question it. Noone pays anyone to do it - people make software that covers their needs.

We have weird needs in software, and we got good experience programming the xbox in many ways - so we're making it. Not a launcher - but a _system_ for booting an xbox. A system with more than one function, and not based on a graphic engine or simple system calls.

Making a system from the bottom, integrated features and well thought out skeleton is the key =)

-the joker

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE (the joker @ Apr 16 2003, 02:22 PM)
BenJeremy, we have been working for 2 weeks on this, and we made IRC client, FTP server, xbe parser, telnet client and an entirely new filesystem from scratch.  ETA : sooner than you'd thought :)
But I repeat, so noone misunderstands. Me, Blazed and lys's only intentions to make this - was not to show off nor anything else - hence the silence around this project before today, but to make something that covered what we wanted.

Why evo-x, nexgen and mxm is taking so much time - is beyond me, and I don't even question it. Noone pays anyone to do it - people make software that covers their needs.

We have weird needs in software, and we got good experience programming the xbox in many ways - so we're making it. Not a launcher - but a _system_ for booting an xbox. A system with more than one function, and not based on a graphic engine or simple system calls.

Making a system from the bottom, integrated features and well thought out skeleton is the key =)

-the joker

Well, that's cool, I'll certainly check it out when it's released.

The scene needs more competition.

For MXM, I mostly cater tothe DVD compilation crowd, and those that like a pretty face. Plus I have a few nice security features to keep some of the more dangerous apps password protected from accidental intrusion. "Media" is the key word for my system for a good reason.

Will it be open source like MXM and neXgen?

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »

I personally can't wait to see this. I really like the way the launcher handles games, with a pic beside the name.

Also, the telnet looks good too, but the built in IRC is iffy...

I know this will sound like a lot, but perhaps you could (down the road) implement a p2p file sharing program for some legit mp3's/movie trailers.

I  would like to see them on a 27', and not a 14' monitor smile.gif

akarnid

• Archived User
Avalaunch
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »

Yeah, this release gets me pretty psyched already.  These guys already helped me alot with a few tutorials they have, and if they're gonna do away with the filesystem character limitations - more power to them I say.  It's given me mucho headaches already.

Ain't it great how much cool stuff keeps on surfacing for the 'box?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7