xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Where To Get Started Programming For The Xbox  (Read 1087 times)

node

• Archived User
Where To Get Started Programming For The Xbox
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2003, 02:23:00 PM »

I'm a bit late with this reply.........but this topic is of intrest to me has i have modded my xbox my self and done the hd transplant on my dinner table :)
NOw i would like to give somthing back to the scene  :)
i have read the threads with intrest, i was going to teach my self C and have taken out  a book titled " C Programming in easy steps" by Mike Mcgrath from my local library.
How ever since reading the threads it seems like this would be like running before learning to walk.
Would i be better of learning vb.net if so can you recommend any books for a total beginner?
:blink:  

Wishi

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2003, 03:36:00 AM »

If you've got a book called "C Programming in easy steps", then it's probably gonna be at the right level for the absolute beginner I'd think. All I recommend is keep reading and trying. So what if you don't need some pointless calculator or classes which figure how many boxes can fit into other boxes, just keep trying.

And reading other people's code can help, but you'll be confused if you take a look at a complex app before you're ready. After you've finished that book, go down to the library and look for another.. and another. They'll probably cover similar topics but in different ways and it's always best to get a rounded view instead of relying on one author.

Persistence and determination is key.

node

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2003, 08:01:00 AM »

:o  That sounds like me Persistent and determined, all ways wanting to know how things tick over if u know what i mean.
Only one thing left do i start with c or visual basic.net ?
which would u recommend?
ps thanks for the rapid reply.

Wishi

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2003, 07:31:00 AM »

smile.gif

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2003, 09:28:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

One thing i do know for sure, well have had millions of people advise me is that C is what to learn, its the most versatile, widley used and useful language..... even more so than english.....lol

- Shorty

node

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2003, 09:43:00 AM »

Ah the good old "hello world prgoram"

i remember the good old days

10 PRINT "hello World"
20 END

I really must get back into programming, how cool would it be to write anything for the xbox, even something "crap" i did start to learn C but other things prevailed and i stopped, it was starting to work for me though, right thats it, im gonna do it  

One thing i do know for sure, well have had millions of people advise me is that C is what to learn, its the most versatile, widley used and useful language..... even more so than english.....lol

- Shorty

Hey just DO it, i'm with you nice cool xbox app some day hehehe...

Falcon

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2003, 05:39:00 AM »

smile.gif

Still got a very old version of the Watcom Compiler somewhere around here and pretty much books.
Since I want to try and teach myself C++ (maybe code for the Xbox later *g*) I'm going to get myself some software.

Where is the difference in Visual 6 C++ and Visual.Net (C++ is included there).

Can I use Visual 6 C++ for Xbox Development later on ? And do I need the new XDK from June2003 or can I also use the older one March2002 ?

Got some books like C++ for dummies but also some from O'Reilley (supposed to be good).

rmn

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2003, 10:03:00 AM »

This is probably the wrong place to post this, but I am at my wits end trying to get this to work. I have got the XDK 4627 , the WAM release. It is all there and CRC'd OK. But when I try to install the XDK it says "The installer appears to be corrupt etc etc etc" , Error S1004. Has anyone else had this problem ? or know how to get round this?
Pages: 1 2 [3]