xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Progressive Scan Patching  (Read 372 times)

shan_mj

• Archived User
Progressive Scan Patching
« on: March 05, 2003, 09:11:00 AM »

Seems that a growing problem (though I don't know why) are games that do not support progressive scan, for example, Colin McRae 3 and Kung Fu Chaos.  Although the progpatcher utility has been released, it's far from perfect, and doesn't even work on some xbe files.

Is anybody familiar with the details of what this patcher does, or what patterns it changes?  The logic behind it?  I'd be very interested in learning how this works and possibly coding a better tool to accomplish these ends.  There's nothing more frustrating than paying for a game for a next generation system only to find out that it doesn't even meet a basic expectation of standard xbox games.

In any case -- bitching aside -- it'd be nice to figure out how all this stuff works, so if anybody's in the know, please drop me a line.

-- Shan

J.P. Patches

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 09:36:00 AM »

It's pretty simple...  It looks for the constant that is used when calling CreateDevice and it changes the value from 480p to 480i.  I can't remember the details, but they're here or at xboxhacker.net.

shan_mj

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »

smile.gif

TripHopJump

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »

Not sure if this is much help - but a guy called Progressive Scan discovered the 'flags' and Hex strings to flip the game into progressive.  He wrote the ProgPatcher.exe.  I read about his work on XboxHacker (I think), in the forums.  He basically detailed the whole process, which, whilst interesting, was a bit beyond my understanding of Xbox.  Anyhow, the string locations are not consistent, with Progpatcher able to hit about 50% of the time (from what I have tested).
As I understand it, NTSC defaults to 480p, but me, being in AU, need to patch the PAL versions, as PAL doesn't support HDTV (I had to get the pack shipped in from US).
Anyway, check Xbox Hacker (site and forums) and XBox Dev (I think?) for Progressive Scans posts on the subject.
Oh - and anyone in Australia - I can assure you that a PAL Xbox, chipped, flipped to NTSC, with a US HD Pack (and of course a HD capable TV) kicks arse.
I love my progressive scan DVD player!!! : )
Huuuge difference on a 55" rear pro : )

razorrifh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 07:42:00 PM »

Deadbeef

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 02:31:00 AM »

thank you razorrifh 4 the link.
Although the forumthread still doesn't show the patch for KFC, it does explain alot about what is happening.
Looks like the game is not stuck but switches to another video (ntsc?) mode.
Progressive Scan (the guy) searches for the bytes that make it do just this and then publishes the right values.
Let's just wait for the guy's that know what they are doing and hope for the best.

Deadbeef