xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)  (Read 1265 times)

Weavus

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2002, 04:20:00 AM »

Can you make it possible to use the analogue controller to also navigate MXM. Everyone who uses my Xbox always tries to use the analogue controller first and I dont see why you shouldnt allow both to be used.

Ta

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2002, 05:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (Weavus @ Dec 4 2002, 07:20 AM)
Can you make it possible to use the analogue controller to also navigate MXM. Everyone who uses my Xbox always tries to use the analogue controller first and I dont see why you shouldnt allow both to be used.

Ta

Well, this one is easy enough to do smile.gif

I'm working on the others... I may go 100% to XML, as the parser seems to be working well.

At the very least, game descriptions and "complex" 2D skins will use XML (and I'll probably write a converter to update "simple" skins to the "complex" format).

Weavus

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2002, 06:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Dec 4 2002, 12:57 PM)
I'm working on the others... I may go 100% to XML, as the parser seems to be working well.

At the very least, game descriptions and "complex" 2D skins will use XML (and I'll probably write a converter to update "simple" skins to the "complex" format).

Thats great news. XML is a nice way to define things esp config files. Its pretty easy to knock up a windows client that can edit it and the best thing is it wont break in the future if you add/remove fields (it can just ignore them).

This program is going to be the ultimate launcher in the near future smile.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2002, 06:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (hugobenard @ Dec 4 2002, 09:00 AM)
Hello,
I 'm a nexbie, and I'm French. I try to explain my problem with this program.

I don't know the file that I must modify.

For the moment, I modify :
mmx_entry.ini:
[Item_1]
Title=Conflict Desert Storm
Description=Conflig desert storm en FR
Exe=conflict.xbe

[Item_2]
Title=Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Description=Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Exe=Gauntlet.xbe

[Item_3]
Title=Star Wars Jedi Outcast
Description=Star Wars Jedi Outcast en FR
Exe=Star.xbe

and I don't modify mxm.ini.

When I launch the DVD, I can just see the first page with "my collection" and "mame". I can do anything.

I don't understand how the automatique configuration for the games.

Pease help me, and sorry for my English. I hope you understand every thing.

MXM_Entry.ini is intended for "auto-config".... there is one in EVERY SUBDIRECTORY of MXM that has a game or app you wish to launch.

In the MXM_ENTRY.ini, you don't number the items, because there is one item only. The system looks in each subdirectory and locates this file, then it knows where to find the executable. It also looks for the MXM_SS.* inthat directory.

E:\MXM <- your MXM.xbe and MXM.ini
E:\MXM\DefaultSkin <-skin subdirectory(s)
E:\MXM\GAME1 <-Game files, MXM_ENTRY.ini and MXM_SS.jpg (or whatever extension)

So if GAME1 contained Conflict: Desert Storm, it would also contain an MXM_Entry.ini with the following:

[Item]
Title=Conflict Desert Storm
Description=Conflig desert storm en FR
Exe=conflict.xbe

The xbe file MUST exist in that directory, or it won't be listed.

Weavus

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2002, 06:37:00 AM »

wink.gif

Sub Menus...

As I want to use MXM as an evox replacement I would like to have a few different menus so that I can seperate Apps/Emus/Games and not have them in the same menu.

I was thinking that I could have a MXM as a launcher for futher MXM's (i.e. one for each sub-menu I want) and I think it would work ok but I might have problems going from the sub-menu back to the main menu.

I think I really need that 'launch this xbe when quiting' parameter (mentioned in a previous post) in the mxm.ini so I can have sub-MXM's calling the program that loaded it.

Can you see any other problems I might have in doing this? Or are you planning on adding sub-menus in the future?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2002, 06:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (Weavus @ Dec 4 2002, 09:37 AM)
Next request wink.gif

Sub Menus...

As I want to use MXM as an evox replacement I would like to have a few different menus so that I can seperate Apps/Emus/Games and not have them in the same menu.

I was thinking that I could have a MXM as a launcher for futher MXM's (i.e. one for each sub-menu I want) and I think it would work ok but I might have problems going from the sub-menu back to the main menu.

I think I really need that 'launch this xbe when quiting' parameter (mentioned in a previous post) in the mxm.ini so I can have sub-MXM's calling the program that loaded it.

Can you see any other problems I might have in doing this? Or are you planning on adding sub-menus in the future?

Well, I've had plans on allowing an item to actually launch another MXM configuration.

It would be nice to even support other skins.... but that's getting a bit complicated at the moment.

Submenus might not be too hard, but I'll have to look at making it a bit more flexible in that area. It's currently set up to load everything at startup.

I'll try and add an "exit XBE" option in 1.0.... a lot of people seem to be using MXM as a dashboard.

So far a pretty decent wish list. Some will happen sooner than others, of course.

Weavus

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2002, 08:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Dec 4 2002, 01:48 PM)
So far a pretty decent wish list. Some will happen sooner than others, of course.

I dont suppose you happen to have a prioitised list of things you plan to implement in the next few versions?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2002, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (Weavus @ Dec 4 2002, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Dec 4 2002, 01:48 PM)

I dont suppose you happen to have a prioitised list of things you plan to implement in the next few versions?

Not at the moment... but that list is getting rather big smile.gif

Here are items currently fixed for the next version:

* Added the ability to navigate using the thumbsticks
* Fixed the PersistDisplay() issue. Loading screens now display.

I'm still cruising along on the xml stuff. I've been sick with the flu, so I haven't been able to get too into the groove (that's why I'm home from work today), but hopefully later tonight I'll feel well enough to hammer on some more stuff and make up a prioritized wish list.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2002, 10:34:00 AM »

Cool... syn3rgy over at Xboxhacker.net helped me put the pieces in place to get YUV2 working as a texture format.

What does that mumbo-jumbo mean?

VIDEO IMAGES. The next release will support WMVs used in any place images can be used (screenshots, backgrounds, etc), both for 2D and future 3D!!

This is going to be VERY sweet.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2002, 11:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (Weavus @ Dec 4 2002, 01:56 PM)
Great!

Can I now request a means of adding any number of images to a screen wink.gif

Ohh, and could you start posting the readme to the newsgroups using something like PowerPost (PowerPost Homepage)? Whatever tool your using currently dosnt work very well as I've never managed to get the file from the newsgroups.

Flipping the display between images would be merely a matter of putting everything into a WMV file.

This is very cool, I modified a skin to display the "bike.wmv" sample as a backgorund, and a screenshot is using the "skydive.wmv" sample. Both videos run simultaneously...

It will default to no sound, looping, until I decide to add the options, but it should make for some nice animated backgrounds.

...and yes, I'll have to look at powerpost. I'm using newsbin pro at the moment. I'm hoping a site will host the files; I sent them off to xfactordev.net, and he's pretty good about posting the bins on his site.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2002, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (Weavus @ Dec 4 2002, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Dec 4 2002, 06:27 PM)
Flipping the display between images would be merely a matter of putting everything into a WMV file.

No I meant the ability to have numerous images/videos on the screen apart from the boxshot/screens etc.

Things like animated logos/other snazzy effects...

Anyway, I'll let you get back to work wink.gif

Well, the XML-based "complex" 2-D format would allow you to create "virtually" unlimited combinations of images (including video) on screen at once.

Basically, you'd set up a LayoutElement of type "Image" and describe the location, name, etc... sources would include files (loaded from the skin directory, for example) or generic "screenshots" for example, that would also be defined in another section.

I'm still hammering out the details. Essentially, the XML would load up a relatively generic format to skin up. There are still 'basic' things like a menu screen (or, for example, your thumbnail screen) that the system is aware of, as well as basic sources of images and text, but you'd have incredible layout flexibility.

When it's done, I'll probably junk the "simple" 2-D and just have a converter to convert the skins over to the new format.

Weavus

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2002, 01:08:00 PM »

Small bug:

If you try and launch an xbe that it cant find all sorts of funny things happen. You might want to catch that the same way that you do with screenshots that dont exist.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2002, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (Weavus @ Dec 4 2002, 04:08 PM)
Small bug:

If you try and launch an xbe that it cant find all sorts of funny things happen. You might want to catch that the same way that you do with screenshots that dont exist.

Well, in autoconfig, it does check.

I might throw a check in the MXM.ini loaded entries as well, before the 1.0 release.

jmelendez

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2002, 01:20:00 PM »

Weavus

• Archived User
Media X Menu 0.9 (beta)
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2002, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (jmelendez @ Dec 4 2002, 08:20 PM)
hey! I wanna test too! dont leave us out in the cold!

seriously, this does look pretty cool...cant wait to try it out...

Find version .09b and try it then (Hint read the 1st post)! This isnt a closed test smile.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4