xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question For Those With Vt6421a  (Read 82 times)

AbsolutInsanity

• Archived User
Question For Those With Vt6421a
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »

Hi All,

I just received my VT6421a via UPS and I think there is a problem.  I powered down my PC, installed the card in the only available PCI slot, and powered on.  Windows detected the new hardware as a "RAID card" (even though I have the non-raid version).  I hit cancel on the driver installation, and installed the drivers from the CD.  I rebooted, and I was able to see the device in device manager.  So far so good.

Then, I ran iprep and built my USB boot disc, making sure to follow textbook's tutorial.  Having flashed a MS25 before, I knew the basic steps (this is a MS28, BTW).  I powered the xbox and PC on, typed idump 1234567 12345 and got to the drive select prompt.  I shut off my xbox, hit 1, and waited 10 seconds, then powered my xbox back on....nothing.  I tried over and over...2 seconds, 3 seconds, 4 seconds....probably 20 or 30 times with different lengths of time, but it never worked.

Then, I booted back into windows.  Once there, I checked the device manager, and sure enough, it had the yellow exclimation point saying "device cant start".  I uninstalled it and rebooted.  At that point I was back at step 1.  I installed the drivers the same way and rebooted.  I verified the card was in the device manager and was started properly.  It was.  I then shut down the PC.

I then hooked up a SATA DVD-ROM drive I have to the card and booted back into windows.  The odd thing is that the drive showed up, but in device manager it said, once again, "this device cannot start".  Of course, I couldn't read anything from the drive.

After that long post, my question is, do I have a bad card, or am I doing something wrong?

My other question is, when I boot into DOS with the USB stick, don't I need drivers for the card to work in the first place?  

I apologize if this is a noob question, I debated on posting it in the noob forum, but decided to put it here instead.

Thanks for reading and any help or advise you can give!

-AbsolutInsanity

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »

Drivers are not required for flashing per say.. but are required for Iprep detection to work.

Try using this mtkflash.. which is already hexedited.

http://www.360mods.net/files/MTKFLASHvia.zip

AbsolutInsanity

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »

Thanks Havok, I'll try it tonight.

AbsolutInsanity

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

It ended up being a bad card.  Newegg was nice enough to send a free card next day air.  I popped it in and it worked first try (following the same tutorials I was following...)