xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Few Flashmod Questions  (Read 27 times)

gdog300

• Archived User
Few Flashmod Questions
« on: August 28, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

I have read through the guide on how to flash my Toshiab-Samsung DVD drive and I still have a few questions.

1. I am unsure if my computer has a 'suitable SATA chipset'. I don't think my harddrive is ATA but I'm pretty sure I have SATA ports (I can open it up to make sure), do I have a suitable chipset? And if I do have the suitable SATA chipset the tutorial says that the ports must be set to NATIVE/IDE not RAID, how do I make sure of this?

2. I do not know which firmware to choose (xtreme/commodore4eva/kdx). Does any firmware have advantages over another?

3. I do not have a floppy drive on my PC, so to boot with a CD do I just change the BIOS to boot off a CD before the HD?

4. The tutorial says to keep the power connecter plugged into the xbox 360 during the disassembly process. I am confused what the power connecter is? if it is the power chord that doesn't seem safe.

Help with any of these questions (even if it is just 1) would be greatly appriciated

tnbigdawg

• Archived User
Few Flashmod Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(gdog300 @ Aug 28 2006, 07:36 PM) *

I have read through the guide on how to flash my Toshiab-Samsung DVD drive and I still have a few questions.

1. I am unsure if my computer has a 'suitable SATA chipset'. I don't think my harddrive is ATA but I'm pretty sure I have SATA ports (I can open it up to make sure), do I have a suitable chipset? And if I do have the suitable SATA chipset the tutorial says that the ports must be set to NATIVE/IDE not RAID, how do I make sure of this?

2. I do not know which firmware to choose (xtreme/commodore4eva/kdx). Does any firmware have advantages over another?

3. I do not have a floppy drive on my PC, so to boot with a CD do I just change the BIOS to boot off a CD before the HD?

4. The tutorial says to keep the power connecter plugged into the xbox 360 during the disassembly process. I am confused what the power connecter is? if it is the power chord that doesn't seem safe.

Help with any of these questions (even if it is just 1) would be greatly appriciated

1. Go to Start>Rightclick on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager> SCSI And Raid Controllers and look for something that says SATA controller (or sometimes it might say RAID controller like mine). This will tell you what chipset you have. Read the tutorial again to see how to edit MTKFLASH

2. xtreme is made by commodore4eva. KDX is just for editing but use hexedit instead when you are copying over your drive keys.

3. Yes, read the tutorial though since I never read this part(I have a floppy). Make sure that you create a backup FIRST before anything and save it correctly when you are in DOS.

4. You'll need to keep the main power connected to the Xbox 360, and the power connector on the back of the Xbox DVD drive. Don't forget to connect the A/V cables too, but you don't have to have it connected to your TV.