xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tutorial: Running Half-life On Xbox Linux  (Read 89 times)

guitardork864

• Archived User
Tutorial: Running Half-life On Xbox Linux
« on: October 21, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »

I am running it under 3.1 home, because I am a linux newbie and not ready for pro, but I'm sure you could get better performance under pro because it uses less resources.

I use IceWM as my window manager because it uses less ram than XFCE, however HL ran ok under XFCE as well.

**NOTE** This is not a tutorial on using STEAM, I haven't played around with steam on the xbox yet, maybe I'll write a tutorial later.

1.) goto http://www.transgaming.com/sources.php
2.) follow the instruction on how to download Cedega from CVS.
3.) when its downloaded (mine was in /gentoox/winex) browse to that directory
4.) type "./configure && make depend && make && su -c "make install"
5,) this will take a while, so go get some food or something.  It will prompt you for your root password towards the end of the install, so make sure you are there to enter it.
6.) when it is done, make a directory under /gentoox called ".wine" (so it would be /gentoox/.wine)
7.) browse to the folder where the Cedega CVS was downloaded to and enter the documentation/samples folder.  Find the "config" file and copy it to the directoy you made in step 6
8.) make the following directories under /gentoox

/.transgaming/c_drive/windows/system
    /.transgaming/c_drive/windows/system32
    /.transgaming/c_drive/windows/fonts  
    /.transgaming/c_drive/windows/start menu/programs
    /.transgaming/c_drive/program files                                                
 9.) once this is done, put in your HL cd.  then mount it.  If you are unsure on how to do this, use the file manager (XFFM) and browse down to fstab, and open it, then select /mnt/cdrom and right click and select mount.
10.)  then, type "wine /mnt/cdrom/cdrom0/setup.exe"
11.) Half-life will install
12.) next you need to patch half-life, find the file hl1110.exe and download it, I suggest using filefront
13.) type "wine /directory where hl1110.exe is/hl1110.exe" and it will patch half-life
14.) thats it! your done! to play half-life, type "wine /home/gentoox/.transgaming/c_drive/program \files/SIERRA/Half-Life/hl.exe" or alternative browse there using the file manager and type "wine hl.exe"
15.) make sure to configure whatever controller you are going to use.
16.) make sure you configure half-life to run under software 640x480, or 512x384.
17.) you will get some errors about not being able to open certain files for playback when you first open half-life.  If you have a USB keyboard, then just press enter a few times, but if you are using xpad only, then you will have to sort of move the cursor to highlight the "cancel" or "ok" buttons, and since the cursor is not displayed, this task becomes extra hard/

performance should stay around a solid 30 fps no matter which resolution you pick.

This post has been edited by guitardork864 on Oct 22 2004, 05:48 AM