xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Turn Xbox Into A Router  (Read 124 times)

Stevio

• Archived User
Turn Xbox Into A Router
« on: August 08, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

Are there some people that already tried to make from xbox linux: a router (+gateway+firewall).

I know there is only one rj45 port for networking. (make 2 with usb-network-cable is slow) Maybe some people that have tips etc.

Btw i have GentooX installed, its great :)

Potato Bob

• Archived User
Turn Xbox Into A Router
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 10:10:00 AM »

laugh.gif

yes yo can
you need a switch probly with 100/10 and plugg the xbox to the first port install all the proggs to the xbox
then configure ur proggs .like dhcp and pluggin ur other comps

Um this sure is un exspensive rounter

Stevio

• Archived User
Turn Xbox Into A Router
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (Potato Bob @ Aug 8 2004, 06:13 PM)
ur stupid :lol:

yes yo can
you need a switch probly with 100/10 and plugg the xbox to the first port install all the proggs to the xbox
then configure ur proggs .like dhcp and pluggin ur other comps

Um this sure is un exspensive rounter

Hehe thanx for the compliment :D

Well this only for testing. And i find it interesting.

It will be used as backup router, because my Sweex router sucks.

I am gonna try Mister Potatohead.  :P

This post has been edited by Stevio on Aug 8 2004, 06:49 PM

chimpanzee

• Archived User
Turn Xbox Into A Router
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »

bad choice unless you really mean 'backup'(that is, not being used). router is a 24/7 thing and at 100w, you consure 2000W per day. Then you need another hub and you share that 100Mbps for everyone.

Better get a WRT54G that is not selling for 50 bucks or so which has both wire and wireless and also run linux and there is lots of neat things to play with.

I have one WRT54G, but we get an ASUS WL500G(20 bucks more) which has USB port.

Stevio

• Archived User
Turn Xbox Into A Router
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 06:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (chimpanzee @ Aug 9 2004, 03:54 AM)
bad choice unless you really mean 'backup'(that is, not being used). router is a 24/7 thing and at 100w, you consure 2000W per day. Then you need another hub and you share that 100Mbps for everyone.

Better get a WRT54G that is not selling for 50 bucks or so which has both wire and wireless and also run linux and there is lots of neat things to play with.

I have one WRT54G, but we get an ASUS WL500G(20 bucks more) which has USB port.

Thx for your reply. Its used for backup router, when my sweex fails. I will be buying a new router. A Wireless one. I know the Asus WL500G rocks, great router. I think i will be buying that one too. Why i choose linux to test, i want to test traffic shaping on linux with the ip tables etc. Normal routers like sweex dont support traffic shaping, dont know if the asus wl500g supports that. (well wile typing this i searched: Support for QoS, HTB shaping and counting network traffic.)

But first try linux :)

Potato Bob

• Archived User
Turn Xbox Into A Router
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »

maybe youll be a linux user

chimpanzee

• Archived User
Turn Xbox Into A Router
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (Stevio @ Aug 9 2004, 01:32 PM)
Thx for your reply. Its used for backup router, when my sweex fails. I will be buying a new router. A Wireless one. I know the Asus WL500G rocks, great router. I think i will be buying that one too. Why i choose linux to test, i want to test traffic shaping on linux with the ip tables etc. Normal routers like sweex dont support traffic shaping, dont know if the asus wl500g supports that. (well wile typing this i searched: Support for QoS, HTB shaping and counting network traffic.)

But first try linux smile.gif

Yes WRT54G(and all its siblings like AUS WL500G) can do all those things because it runs linux, try google openwrt.

If you mean just testing out these stuff on Xbox before buying, just apt-get the packages(I use debian anyway).