xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xex File Hex Dump  (Read 253 times)

Vayate

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« on: November 26, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »

If anyone cares to check it out, I've dumped the emulation profile in a hex editor. Took a couple minutes, even on my nice m,achine. Anyway, this is probably neither here nor there -- just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone found it useful.

You can get the 9MB .txt file on my college webspace (here)
Looks a lot different from XBE files. Much less decipherable text. Anyway, good luck -- awesome if you find something useful.

Neptune

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »

why dont you zip it...it'll compress to less then a meg

Vayate

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »

Oh, it also seems that XEX files do have a bit more security than XBEs (duh). I tried to disassemble it with PVDasm 1.5, but it gave me a "File is already in use" error even after I rebooted to make 100% sure it wasn't.

cshah0

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »

SHA-1 used in the default.xex
http://xboxhacker.ne...&id=40&Itemid=2

TSOPrano

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »

Didn't SHA-1 get hacked?

bigbubba7373

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 02:18:00 AM »

SHA-1 Broken
Posted by L33tdawg on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:09 AM (Reads: 1098)

Source: Schneier on Security

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L33tdawg: Much love to Fyodor Yarochkin for the heads up on this wink.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHA-1 has been broken. Not a reduced-round version. Not a simplified version. The real thing. The research team of Xiaoyun Wang, Yiqun Lisa Yin, and Hongbo Yu (mostly from Shandong University in China) have been quietly circulating a paper describing their results:

collisions in the the full SHA-1 in 2**69 hash operations, much less than the brute-force attack of 2**80 operations based on the hash length.
collisions in SHA-0 in 2**39 operations.
collisions in 58-round SHA-1 in 2**33 operations.
This attack builds on previous attacks on SHA-0 and SHA-1, and is a major, major cryptanalytic result. It pretty much puts a bullet into SHA-1 as a hash function for digital signatures (although it doesn't affect applications such as HMAC where collisions aren't important). The paper isn't generally available yet.

MGSolidus2

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »

I can't see the .txt. It says it's not available from the site.

EDIT: If what the dude says is true, then that's the key to partially cracking the 360. All we would have to do would be to use hacking programs from the 1st xbox and they would run on the 360. Actually if we used like Slayer's, and added the hacked dash to the list, then maybe we could burn it to a CD and boot it up, giving us partial FTP access to it.

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, I don't think this will work, because we can't develop our own .XBE's yet.

Darren101

• Archived User
Xex File Hex Dump
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »

Don't worry about devving.

Get yourself an assembler, and you're done smile.gif.