xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Weakest Link?  (Read 261 times)

lordvader129

• Archived User
Weakest Link?
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »

well MS knows where the xbox security failed, but they also know where it succeeded

i wouldnt be surprised if we see more checks based on the RSA factoring, the digital signiture proved very effective (this could easily be used to prevent any unauthorized attachments from being used, including modchips)

another thing that may seem trivial but was a great success was the copy protection on the disc itself, we cant read them on a computer, similar measures might be taken on the HD and memory cards (effectively preventing softmods)

Hunter Killer

• Archived User
Weakest Link?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 10:56:00 PM »

I'm betting the weakest link will be the removable harddrive.

CattyKid

• Archived User
Weakest Link?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »

Surprised no one brought this up, but what about the fact that you can download the emulation profiles, burn onto a CD, and then load onto XBox360?
Also, the fact that it can connect to Windows PCs.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Weakest Link?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

the emulation profiles you download are a single signed .xex, theres absolutely nothing we can do to them without invalidating the signature

it can connect to a windows PC, but can a PC connect to it? its very likely nothing on the 360 is mounted to be read or written to remotely

PVNick

• Archived User
Weakest Link?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 12:44:00 AM »

Can't you stream media from your PC? I unfortunatly don't yet have a 360, but I've read the feature lists. If you can stream media from your PC, then you open up a wide range of possibilities. MS has had several vulnerabilities in its software that deal with music, videos, images, etc. Perhaps a few exist in the 360's media rendering.

Arakon

• Archived User
Weakest Link?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »

the firmware is unique to each drive model, you can't write a generic firmware since there's countless different chipsets that all need different ways of accessing/controlling them.