xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Softmodded My Xbox360 Bought From Usa  (Read 127 times)

uniquexme

• Archived User
Softmodded My Xbox360 Bought From Usa
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »

I just got a Xbox360 from USA back to Malaysia for my bro. He bring it to a local game shop to get it modded, and was told they only did softmod.. And NOT all backup games are playable, i guess due to region lock. So now, my bro is asking me on these :

1. can he watch RMVB, AVI, WMV files on his xbox via external HDD (he said he googled, and installing XBMC will allow him to do that, but do u think this is over-ride the softmod, which makes him unable to play backup games anymore?)

2. His friends told him to sell this xbox off and get a one locally, as the one that sold here are not regional locked, meaning can play all backups. is this true?

3. And i only know that once xbox is modded, we can't go for online games rite? this doesn't matter as he dont go online with his xbox... but i m afraid if update to XBMC will kill the softmod..

4. which mod is currently the best? i was told its very difficult to find modchip for xbox... can i check wif u guys, which softmod is the best? and can we do it ourself?

mafiafan123

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

A little more research will help but as far as what your looking at would be the XBOX not XBOX 360 so hope that clears that part up but theres alot of options to what you can do just look around. And Region lock can be bypassed with a softmod.

uniquexme

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »

I m sorry for that, but i think the one that i got is xbox360 elite, it comes with HDD... or? pardon me coz i m not very familiar with xbox. hmm, hope u can tell me more, coz the place that i m working now has no broadband, only dial-up, which makes me really hard to google....

hmm, so regional lock can be override with softmod. thanks for that... n may i also ask how to check wat softmod i have? coz I pass to this game shop and they only tell me sofmod, nothing much else... can we overwrite it with another softmod?

joelchan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »

Hi uniqueme,

Okay what the dealer means is

softmod -
he is going to "softmod" which means no mod-chip will be installed. no soldering.
he is going to flash update the DVD rom firmware. to 1.61 or even lower version.
(bear in mind this will not be xbox live safe) well nothing is anyway, although I am happily using non-stealth 1.41  on BENQ

not all backup games are playable -
he would mean because your box is NTSC (USA) therefore all the local originals/copies u get off Malaysia, which are not region free will not work on your box, + because the dealer have not been updating themselves, (seen this all the time), their firmware update, is not able to play WAVE 4 and above (new games like Tekken 6)

Brother Qns 1 -
RMVB - no
AVI - yes (maybe even need the new updates)
WMV - yes
i think XBMC is for XBOX1 not xbox 360 (i may be wrong)
the XBMC will not override the "softmod" as the dealer only flash the drive, not the motherboard

My solution, I installed TVersity on PC and stream to my xbox 360, this solve my RMVB and other formats which XBOX does not support.

Brother Qns 2 -
you local machine can play all the backup sold in malaysia
you oversea machine can only play some backup sold in malaysia
all this with the latest ixtreme firmware upgrade on the xbox DVD drive.
if you flash it with non-stealth firmware, you do not need to upgrade in the future.

Brother Qns 3 -
you can still risk going online after the soft mod
again, XBMC if there is a xbox360 version, it will not over write the "softmod"

maybe you should check your xbox and see it's exploitable for the XBReboot
then you can run homebrews and games off the USB HDD, then you will not have an issues with games region locks, because you have to patch them anyway.

Brother Qns 4 -
if you are not going online, you best mod is XBReboot (if you XBOX 360 dashboard version is below 8955)
run games off HDD, still can't play RMVB, run MAME and SNES stuff, no problem with region lock games, the list goes on.

ask around your neighbourhood, i am pretty sure there are some guys who is handy with the soldering iron and xbox 360 hacks who can help. Asian Modders are a ripped off, and always out dated. (Always one method hack for life, i mean they are always lacking behind the "scene")

I hope my reply answers most of your questions and doubts. I would love to take a look at your xbox, but i am not in your country. ;-)

uniquexme

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »

thanks bro for that reply... at least i have a better idea... hmm, so no RMVB for xbox360... I wonder if Tversity works on on MacBook Pro.

how can we check the firmware of our DVD ROM? and which softmod is installed?
i will google for this non stealth firmware and XBReboot

Thanks pal.

uniquexme

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »

hmm. guys, is there any recommended site or forum that i can read more in details on modding my xbox360 to play all region games, and also watch movies from external HDD? And if possible, how can we transfer mp3 to the xbox360 HDD. coz i google around, not much positive info.. All are saying its impossible to transfer mp3 to xbox (with the only method which is to burn mp3 to audio cd and rip from cd to xbox hdd), and watch movie is almost impossible unless u connect to xbox live. (which the place i m working here only has dial-up, i know its hard to imagine)

Haruno

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(uniquexme @ Jan 27 2010, 12:50 AM) View Post

hmm. guys, is there any recommended site or forum that i can read more in details on modding my xbox360 to play all region games

xextool 5.2 google it
, and also watch movies from external HDD?
it can already do that. you may need the optional media update which you can also just find online, no need for live. as for mkv's there's a divx web preview that allows your media extender to support mkv on 360, but that's streaming only.

And if possible, how can we transfer mp3 to the xbox360 HDD. coz i google around, not much positive info.. All are saying its impossible to transfer mp3 to xbox (with the only method which is to burn mp3 to audio cd and rip from cd to xbox hdd),

It can play mp3s off a flash drive or ipod or whatever, that's just as good as having it on the hard drive, no?

This is all under the assumption that you are jtagged, altho most of the features you want are already supported on every normal 360.