xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sky Launches On Xbox 360  (Read 630 times)

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(demon148 @ Oct 27 2009, 07:10 PM) View Post

yup at present they have took it off, was supposed to be not that long ago and still nothing. Also it works out to be cheaper if you have a sky digibox and not through the xbox. hamwbone I said the same thing about the rest of us when Americans etc got Netflix and when they got the movies service first. So obviously we all have to benefit from something, what one gets the rest have to get something of equal value.

I know.   biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  I have heard that so many times I had to say it at least once, for Ahmercuh!
IPB Image

Arius

• Archived User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »

Yeah I was having a thick moment, they seem to be happening more often as I get older

Shiny Lunch Box

• Archived User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 05:29:00 AM »

The UK always get bummed for stuf!

I live in the UK and also have USA, Canada, Japan and German XBL accounts.

I have been pissed off for ages that the US Marketplace gets tons of movies, AND so so many TV shows its unreal!! Whereas in the UK we dont get any..at all

although ive noticed that Zune marketplace has a space for TV shows in my BETA

demon148

• Archived User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:00 AM »

Yes I admit broadband speeds here are much slower than anywhere else. As for SKY they offer a 20mb service, but for most of its package deals they only give you up to 2mb braodband, which I find bad. As for BT what happened to MS teaming up with BT, they were supposed to offer somethig similar, so when did sky come into it, and when I checked this morning the sky player still hadnt been put back on. I dont think I would like to pay for Xbox live subscription and then sky subscriptions just to watch it on the xbox, in the end still would be cheaper to buy sky seperate.

ca102455

• Archived User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »

This is ridiculous, I already subscribe to $ky's HD service yet to watch sub quality PQ streamed over the net $ky still say i have to pay another £10 a month on top of what I already pay for their HD Satellite TV service.

At present the only channel available to watch for free is $ky news streamed in ropey picture quality

I mean who on earth is going to pay for this rubbish. Apparently for non $ky subscribers they have to pay £15 a month to watch poor PQ with only a limited number of channels. For a couple of pounds more a month people can have a full satellite TV service giving high quality PQ & 100's of channels with the ability to record live TV.

Seriously this is a gimmick from $ky, they should at least be streaming all their freeview channels to all if they want a serious take up on this?

Heimdall

• Archived User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(demon148 @ Oct 28 2009, 12:00 PM) View Post

Yes I admit broadband speeds here are much slower than anywhere else. As for SKY they offer a 20mb service, but for most of its package deals they only give you up to 2mb braodband, which I find bad.
Sorry, and I realise this is off-topic, but your first point is simply not true, and is a really good example of people being given poor statistics by lazy or badly educated journalists, and believing them.

ADSL broadband line sync speed is determined by the protocol (e.g. the various flavours of ITU G.992, the quality of the line and the distance from exchange, and by proximity to sources of interference along the route. Most people's line speed in the UK is further limited (often quite significantly) by their internal house telephony wiring, and in particular by the ring extension wire (pin 3 from the master socket). Much of the rest of the world never implemented the pin 3 ring extension wire, so don't have that problem. If you fix that (5 minutes on Google plus a 2 minute DIY job, here's a starter for ten) the average broadband speed across the UK will leap significantly.

The next issue is the degree to which your ISP throttles actual data throughput to manage the traffic on their backhaul network - and that's your second point about Sky, which is true.

The final issue is that there are lots of technical ways of delivering Internet connections (ADSL, DSL, fibre, CATV), all with different performance profiles.

The recent league tables showing the UK in 30th place completely failed to differentiate between any of these. If you compare like with like e.g. compare ADSL vs ADSL, and factor in the proportion of the area of the country that can get access to broadband (which is a good indicator of proximity to the exchange), and factor in the proportion of people who simply haven't bothered to remove their pin 3, you'd find the UK leaping up the scale significantly.

So please, don't just believe the stats about how bad broadband in the UK is. Fix your house telephone wiring, then focus on the real issue - the backhaul throttling (often called a "fair usage policy"), which is the only thing that your ISP can actually change without significant investment.

/rant.

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(ca102455 @ Oct 28 2009, 12:09 PM) *

This is ridiculous, I already subscribe to $ky's HD service yet to watch sub quality PQ streamed over the net $ky still say i have to pay another £10 a month on top of what I already pay for their HD Satellite TV service.

At present the only channel available to watch for free is $ky news streamed in ropey picture quality

I mean who on earth is going to pay for this rubbish. Apparently for non $ky subscribers they have to pay £15 a month to watch poor PQ with only a limited number of channels. For a couple of pounds more a month people can have a full satellite TV service giving high quality PQ & 100's of channels with the ability to record live TV.

Seriously this is a gimmick from $ky, they should at least be streaming all their freeview channels to all if they want a serious take up on this?

I agree.

Sky Player has turned out to be really crap.

kingprawn

• Archived User
Sky Launches On Xbox 360
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »

This must be one of the worst launches I have ever seen.

First they have to pull it because of technical problems. Now they have tried again and it has taken out the whole skyplayer website due to everybody trying to sign up.

I don't know who the project manager was but I hope he got fired.

How did they test it? 3 of them sit in a room and fire it up connected directly into the server.

What a bunch of muppets.
Pages: 1 [2]