xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Microsoft Responds To PS3 Netflix Announcement  (Read 1195 times)

biggnick

• Archived User
Microsoft Responds To PS3 Netflix Announcement
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »

Funny, I've been watching Netflix streaming on my PS3 in HD for a long time now thanks to PlayOn media server. I guess this disk makes it so my PC doesn't HAVE to be on, although it will be anyways.

Well, even if that wasn't an option I already had, I wonder if people with an Xbox 360 AND a PS3 will have a problem streaming, since you can only "activate" Netflix directly through one system at a time. I remember when one of my 3 360's crapped out, I plugged my next one in and had to reactivate Netflix on it with a new code while I repaired the broken one.

For those without a Media server like PlayOn, I wonder if you can have multiple streaming netflix systems without a conflict?

RMF

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(MaulerX @ Oct 27 2009, 04:59 AM) View Post

XBL downloads are much faster than PSN.

Nope. I've had plenty of excruciatingly slow downloads from LIVE but the speeds that I get are generally acceptable. However, with the playstation store I download much faster. Approximately 3 to 4 MB/s.

Grumbledock

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(RMF @ Oct 27 2009, 10:10 AM) View Post

Nope. I've had plenty of excruciatingly slow downloads from LIVE but the speeds that I get are generally acceptable. However, with the playstation store I download much faster. Approximately 3 to 4 MB/s.

Sorry to say, but I think you're one of the few that ever has experienced PSN as fast as Live. PSN is slow as h*ll when downloading while live is fast (some MB/s at least), but if that makes it wort the money or not is wort dicussing.
Cheaper live or more for ethe money MS, otherwise Sony will kick you're but this generation too...

RMF

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Grumbledock @ Oct 27 2009, 09:16 AM) View Post

Sorry to say, but I think you're one of the few that ever has experienced PSN as fast as Live. PSN is slow as h*ll when downloading while live is fast (some MB/s at least), but if that makes it wort the money or not is wort dicussing.
Cheaper live or more for ethe money MS, otherwise Sony will kick you're but this generation too...

I've heard people say that their PSN downloads have been very slow and every time that I'm aware of they've been connected wirelessly. The built in wireless adapter in the PS3 seems to be the main culprit, not their servers. Wire it up and it's very fast.

JUANVAN

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »

If this has to go thru Sony's servers at all it will be crap.

I tried watching a video on PSN sunday, and got sick of buffering.. Loaded up the 360 and everything was perfect for streaming.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(JUANVAN @ Oct 27 2009, 02:46 PM) View Post

If this has to go thru Sony's servers at all it will be crap.

I tried watching a video on PSN sunday, and got sick of buffering.. Loaded up the 360 and everything was perfect for streaming.

Most people who have slow connections to the PSN are due to not setting up their router right. Google port forwarding + PS3.

Bradley687

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »

I bought a PS3 back in Aug when the new slim one came out. Again, I had buyer's remorse cause I really do not use PS3 for games, but more as a Blu Ray player. PS3 Media server made me love PS3 and not regret the purchase. Then Uncharted 2 just was amazing game, but thats it, just 1 game.

Now the netflix thing. If Sony keeps doing this I'll probably convert from my XBOX 360. I have both so I really don't have a preference.

I don't know why all the hate for PSN, its not that bad. It has demos, online play is OK but only tested with Uncharted 2.

One thing that does piss me off about PS3 is the whole "Install Game" I was so hyped to play Gran Turismo Prologue and by the time the game finished installed, 30 mins later I was ready to just turn it off and say th hell with this garbage. Even playing Metal Gear 4 gets to me when it installs the chapters.

But the biggest turnoff are the demos. Downloads, then installs. What I did to avoid the waiting, was downloaded a bunch of demos and left the PS3 on overnight.

For a media server, movie entertainment, High Def movies, PS3 wins hands down. If it had better games, more exclusive games like Uncharted 2, I'll convert to PS3.

Til then yes, XBOX 360 has the gaming thing down, PS3 is catching up, but its looking more and more appealing.

ps2moduk

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »

Never subscribed to XBL as i have never agreed with having to pay to go online. Just had a look at netflix and it seems to be an American thing, is this available to UK residents???

wilson2010

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »

so the ps3 gets netflix. whoop di freaking do.

all you bitching people are so god damn cheap. for a whole 50 dollars a year you get decent download speeds and very reliable online gaming. if you get something for free you dont have any right to complain. if ms service fails i can call and say, hey shitbirds fix it or i demand my money back. whos going to give a damn on psn?

i do understand that people like their ps3s but please why post fanboy bs on xbox-scene. oooh psn is free - i want free - free is good.

fast reliable service thats free? you must be joking  love.gif

wassco

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »

What are all these people complaining about PSN network.. slow? buffering? wtf.. ive never had a problem with any ps3 ive connected to my connection.. ive had a torrent downloading, a 2 360's online, and a ps3 online... nothing was fucken up...

now given i must have a sweet upload speed to pull this off im sure! but... never a buffering or lag spike or nothing.

PSN is fine..

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(RMF @ Oct 27 2009, 09:10 AM) View Post

Then factor in the time it takes to install what you've downloaded (eg demos). With XBL it's ready once it's finished. With the PS3 however, you've then got to manually install once it's down.

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(noodles2k @ Oct 27 2009, 06:56 AM) *

MS have really got to pull their heads out their arses before they start falling behind.

Failing? bluray isn't failing at all. It's certainly doing better than HD-DVD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Not failing but they aren't flying off the shelves either. They wanted (and expected) universal adoption but that hasn't been happening. They expected the sequel to the DVD craze but the problem was it was too soon. If there had been a big HDTV adoption combined with a push for actual HD cable content first then a replacement for DVD would have been more easily accepted. Currently even now there are still a lot of people with HDTV's and either NO HD cable content of very little. DVD's look stunning compared to watching SD Cable on an HDTV.

I'm glad to see there aren't that many people standing up for Microsoft. I mean what's the point? I still think the Xbox 360 is a better gaming machine but you have to be insane to think paying for two services is better than paying for one.

QUOTE(wilson2010 @ Oct 27 2009, 05:24 PM) *

all you bitching people are so god damn cheap. for a whole 50 dollars a year you get decent download speeds and very reliable online gaming. if you get something for free you dont have any right to complain. if ms service fails i can call and say, hey shitbirds fix it or i demand my money back. whos going to give a damn on psn?

i do understand that people like their ps3s but please why post fanboy bs on xbox-scene. oooh psn is free - i want free - free is good.

fast reliable service thats free? you must be joking  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

Hey you! This isn't about PSN vs LIVE this is about Netflix on Live. We're not talking about paying to play games online that's a different discussion. This is about paying for the privilege to use a third party's service. This has nothing to do with decent download speeds & reliable online gaming which may be true but has nothing to do with Netflix. Unless Sony is going to host all the Netflix movies then there should be no differences in streaming to the 360 or PS3. You seem to have forgotten that Netflix is the paid service in this instance so your sarcastic comment about a fast reliable free service is moot. Unless of course you think it's ok to pay a middle man.

spurs2k5

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(wilson2010 @ Oct 27 2009, 05:24 PM) View Post

fast reliable service thats free? you must be joking  love.gif

Ok lets clear this up here. M$ does not use dedicated servers so you are your own server if you are hosting. Games like NBA2K use them as well as some others. So when you say "fast" i dont know what you are referring to. More than not GOW2 lags like shit is just shitty. That has to do with 2 things really Which is the netcode and the host. So to compare Sony and M$ on speed and game play performance is just stupid cause most games your connecting to some other player (this would be host and the server). Obviously M$ has a bigger install base so mathematically your gonna have a better chance of finding a lag free game.

As for the whole "cheap" statement......its statements like that is why M$ forces devs to charge on marketplace....even if they dont want to. They know they can do and charge whatever and people like you will defend it. Example being RE5 multipayer. I heard this from fan boys all over.... "Its ONLY". Yeah for something thats already on the game and just downloaded a key to unlock it. I can just see it now in the future..... "For ONLY 150 M$ points you can now pause the game". Money is not the point here, its a lot deeper than that.

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »

Because [PS3 and Wii] have open architecture Internet browsers built-in, the solution proposed for the PS3 would likely not violate the terms of Microsoft's exclusivity.

WOW just WOW.  muhaha.gif

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(biggnick @ Oct 27 2009, 08:56 AM) View Post

Funny, I've been watching Netflix streaming on my PS3 in HD for a long time now thanks to PlayOn media server. I guess this disk makes it so my PC doesn't HAVE to be on, although it will be anyways.
Well, even if that wasn't an option I already had, I wonder if people with an Xbox 360 AND a PS3 will have a problem streaming, since you can only "activate" Netflix directly through one system at a time. I remember when one of my 3 360's crapped out, I plugged my next one in and had to reactivate Netflix on it with a new code while I repaired the broken one.
For those without a Media server like PlayOn, I wonder if you can have multiple streaming netflix systems without a conflict?

ummm.>I have 3 360's and PC all on netflix..no conflict... you can have up to 6 devices per account..
 I'll just have to add the ps3 to the existing list
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4