xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Microsoft Responds To PS3 Netflix Announcement  (Read 1193 times)

simpull7

• Archived User
Microsoft Responds To PS3 Netflix Announcement
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Oct 26 2009, 11:15 PM) *

netflix on the ps3 is going to use a disc. you have to insert the disc each time you want to stream something from netflix. so, i wonder, will netflix send this disc to any subscriber who wants it or is it going to be bought in the store. hmm....

Looks like you can reserve the disc now and they will send you it for free.

"Netflix members and PS3 system owners can now reserve a free instant streaming disc for PS3 systems by going to www.netflix.com/ps3. Upon availability, the instant streaming disc will be delivered for free by first-class mail, generally one business day after members request it."

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=334

This post has been edited by simpull7: Oct 26 2009, 11:35 PM

Paperstack.1

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

+1 for Sony. Keep 'em coming... i'll definitely make the convert back and stay.

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

Stupid Microsoft.

Atleast decrease the XBL Gold fee.

Reduce it by 40%-50%.

Does anyone know why they think they need payment for a P2P service?
They don't have dedicated servers for games - the devs have to provide that themselves.
One game that could really use dedicated servers is Epic (Fails) Gears of War.

Seeing as Microsoft are too money hungry, i doubt we'll see a price cut on Live memberships for atleast 1yr - maybe at E310.

This post has been edited by K1LLERHORNET: Oct 27 2009, 12:34 AM

Tr00p3r

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »

Maybe I'm in the minority with this, but I got the 360 for the games. The blue ray option is obviously failing or sony wouldn't be looking to a 3rd party to stream hd content. Is this not competing against yourself for the same dollars blink.gif ?

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

This really makes M$ look like shit. I love the xbox but its begining to look less kool. The PS3 is really starting to look like a better console right now. Free online-gaming, free web-browser, blue-ray and now netflix. Come on  grr.gif ! Facebook, Twitter, and last.fm arent even real selling points. Those things are already offered completely free. Those have already been available via the PS3 since day one, just use the browser.

p.s.

Even the Wii has a broswer, that disgust me.

C-5

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »

If the rumors of cross-game party voice chat coming to the PSN are true... then I cannot think of a single feature that makes XBL Gold worth the subscription cost anymore.

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »

One question?

If i can stream movies to my PS3, why do i need bluray?

xD

PS: The Ps3 got better, i'm sure that in the future Netflix will be part of the ps3 as a download, not a dvd add-on

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »

I have had a 360 since launch, and a PS3 since January 2007. I prefer my 360, and don't use my PS3 for gaming, but it is nice it's online service is free.

That said, XBL is far superior. There's no need to point out why, as there are lots of facts out there that do that job just fine.

I am not saying MS should raise the price, but I will say that I would gladly pay over $100/year for XBL. I'm just saying...

DemisesAngel

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Oct 26 2009, 10:59 PM) View Post
I have had a 360 since launch, and a PS3 since January 2007. I prefer my 360, and don't use my PS3 for gaming, but it is nice it's online service is free.

That said, XBL is far superior. There's no need to point out why, as there are lots of facts out there that do that job just fine.

I am not saying MS should raise the price, but I will say that I would gladly pay over $100/year for XBL. I'm just saying...

Well then maybe you can give me the extra $50 that I wouldn't like to pay for if it gets that high.

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Oct 26 2009, 11:15 PM) *

netflix on the ps3 is going to use a disc. you have to insert the disc each time you want to stream something from netflix. so, i wonder, will netflix send this disc to any subscriber who wants it or is it going to be bought in the store. hmm....

any subscriber, for free.. already got mine on reserve through netflix

QUOTE(eduardor2k @ Oct 27 2009, 02:33 AM) *

One question?

xD

PS: The Ps3 got better, i'm sure that in the future Netflix will be part of the ps3 as a download, not a dvd add-on

just because you can stream via Netflix, is that going to stop you from also buying Blu-rays of movies you really want to keep?

Personally a movie I really want, I wouldn't settle for streaming..

readmore

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »

"... left many wondering if Microsoft would respond by dropping the Xbox Live Gold membership requirement to use the service on the Xbox 360...A company spokesperson reiterated to IGN the value of Xbox Live Gold status, saying it's online experience is still "a generation ahead of the competition" despite a yearly subscription cost."

How is that even an answer? They asked if MS was going to drop the Gold Requirement. If Netflix doesn't use LIVE servers then why require Gold? What does a superior online-service have to do with Netflix?

Is it just me or are all "reporters" giant pussies these days. Let me ask some hard-hitting questions and you'll get real answers.

MaulerX

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »

I have both systems. XBL is so much better than PSN it's not even funny.

XBL downloads are much faster than PSN.

Every single arcade game has a demo. Not on PSN.

When said game is downloaded I can play it instantly. On PSN, after download, I have to wait for it to install.

Cross game chat.

Cross game invites.

8 person party, no matter what each person is doing.

Using said party feature I can watch Netflix movies together with my friends and family. Not on PS3 Netflix.

Instant 1080p streaming. I'm in the beta and it is truly amazing. Has to be seen to be truly appreciated.

There's more but needless to say the PSN has a LONG way to go before it catches up to XBL.

This post has been edited by MaulerX: Oct 27 2009, 05:01 AM

dharrison

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Oct 26 2009, 06:09 PM) View Post

Just about any given day I have new Xbox 360's piles to the roof all around me. I can play a new 360 any time I want.

But I never feel a reason to turn one on to play when I got a PS3 hooked to each of my HDTV's.

To me this is yet another nail in the 360 coffin.

I couldn't agree with you more, Ranger. Microsoft might have the edge with services now, but when their rival companies fight back and offer the same services, except for free, that just makes Microsoft look (more) stupid and goes to show how bad Microsoft values money over customer satisfaction.

In the end, I'm still not a Sony platform fanboy. But, if they keep countering Microsoft's services by making them free.. put that together with free online play, and you might see me actually buy one. One question, though. Is PSN any different than XBOX LIVE in regards of how game companies deal with the console manufacturer in order to supply bandwidth for online gaming? I'm not too familiar with PSN, that is why I ask. I do know that Microsoft makes it easier on game developers by making it to where they don't have to worry about dishing out a lot of money for online capabilities in their games. Therefore, allowing Microsoft to cash in on that deal. So, what about Sony? How do they work their online service with game developers?

noodles2k

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tr00p3r @ Oct 26 2009, 11:32 PM) View Post
The blue ray option is obviously failing or sony wouldn't be looking to a 3rd party to stream hd content.

Failing? bluray isn't failing at all. It's certainly doing better than HD-DVD tongue.gif And the main supporters of HDDVD, Toshiba, have just started releasing bluray players. I think one of the reasons Sony have gone for netflix is to take the gauntlet away from MS.
QUOTE(eduardor2k @ Oct 27 2009, 01:33 AM) View Post

it will be, but not till 2010. Sony currently has to use a disc for BD+ to get around the agreement that netflix made with MS which stated that only MS could have on hardware streaming software.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(eduardor2k @ Oct 27 2009, 02:33 AM) View Post

One question?

xD

You are kidding, right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4