xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Microsoft Responds To PS3 Netflix Announcement  (Read 1196 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft Responds To PS3 Netflix Announcement
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | October 26 16:19 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From xboxlive.ign.com:

The announcement that video streaming service Netflix would be headed to PlayStation 3 next month left many wondering if Microsoft would respond by dropping the Xbox Live Gold membership requirement to use the service on the Xbox 360.

That answer, as of today, is no.

A company spokesperson reiterated to IGN the value of Xbox Live Gold status, saying it's online experience is still "a generation ahead of the competition" despite a yearly subscription cost.

Full Story: xboxlive.ign.com

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

But what about the users interested in netflix only, and not online gaming? No discounts, eh?    rolleyes.gif

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

Really? That seems a bit strange that you have to pay Microsoft and Netflix for a movie. If you are already on Live Gold then it makes no difference but I'm sure there is a small subset of Xbox gamers that don't game online yet would rent movies.

C_Ripper

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »

Well once PS3 users complain of excessive buffer times and choppy overall performance, I will continue to happily play my $4.20/month for XBL.

krawhitham

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »

Only reason I have Live gold is for Netflix, At least now I do not have to renew it.  The PS3 just got better (at least for me, only thing I use my PS3 for is to watch streaming videos.  I have not played a game on my PS3 in over a year)

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »

yea but then if they let everyone on live do the netflix thing, they can't claim that Gold has value...lol
I mean seriously..

Ps3 is now going to be a blu-ray player AND stream netflix.. for home entertainment , it seems to be the better value...
especially since there really are not any worthwhile xbox exclusive games(Not into halo or GOW or online gaming for that matter)

M$ is gonna need to add MUCH more to convince people that Live is worth $50 a year (Or more if the increase rumor is true)

and to the fella that said PS3 will be choppy/excessive buffering.. thats BS, you connect directly to Netflix (Even with a 360) live has nothing to do with it, except you have to have it in order to RUN the Netflix player

This post has been edited by medievil: Oct 26 2009, 09:41 PM

krawhitham

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(C_Ripper @ Oct 26 2009, 09:36 PM) View Post

Well once PS3 users complain of excessive buffer times and choppy overall performance, I will continue to happily play my $4.20/month for XBL.

It will be streamed off the netflix servers so I do not think we need to worry about Sony's crappy servers

supercheap007

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(C_Ripper @ Oct 26 2009, 09:36 PM) *

Lets see how long that 4.20 stays at 4.20 and not 8.40.
Worth it then?
Because that whole free thing sounds really good to me.

C_Ripper

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(krawhitham @ Oct 26 2009, 08:39 PM) View Post

It will be streamed off the netflix servers so I do not think we need to worry about Sony's crappy servers

Ah, true enough... well yeah, if I already had a PS3, that would be cool, but it's certainly not enough to make me go buy one.

cRACKmONKEY421

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

Without considering hacks, I'd choose PS3 now for sure.

royvedas

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(cRACKmONKEY421 @ Oct 26 2009, 10:52 PM) View Post

Without considering hacks, I'd choose PS3 now for sure.

Yeah PS3 is looking better and better.

Having both consoles I don't have to decide, but PS3 is looking better and better. The price difference is practically nonexistent. The ps3 console is redisigned, smaller and makes almost no noise. The ps3 uses standard cables for power and controllers (usb for charging). It has bluray. It has a free online gaming service. It has some good games.

I really love GoW... but the Live deal is getting worse. They need to "free" it.

commadore64

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

I just got a ps3.
I still like NXE/Live interface a lot more. Netflix is good/okay on 360 but Netflix iself offers sub-average content.
Then with the new ZUNE Video Marketplace with immediate 1080 hd movies on demand, outside of high priced rental fees (in my opinion) there is a ton of content provided from there as well as CinemaNow on MediaCenter.

I hope Sony and MS get into a fist-fight over on-demand content. I will reap the rewards from either winner

*Also I am only 1 week owner of PS3 so I may be overlooking some PS3 features

PaddyPat

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xantium @ Oct 26 2009, 12:19 PM) View Post

'...[the Xbox 360] online experience is still "a generation ahead of the competition" despite a yearly subscription cost'

says the guy selling it

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »

Just about any given day I have new Xbox 360's piles to the roof all around me. I can play a new 360 any time I want.

But I never feel a reason to turn one on to play when I got a PS3 hooked to each of my HDTV's.

To me this is yet another nail in the 360 coffin.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »

netflix on the ps3 is going to use a disc. you have to insert the disc each time you want to stream something from netflix. so, i wonder, will netflix send this disc to any subscriber who wants it or is it going to be bought in the store. hmm....

This post has been edited by spinr34: Oct 26 2009, 11:16 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4