xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ballmer Talks Natal, Says Blu-ray Add-On for Xbox Coming  (Read 236 times)

trentdadi

• Archived User
Ballmer Talks Natal, Says Blu-ray Add-On for Xbox Coming
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »

I'd stick with a stand-alone player.  I don't believe the quality of a blu-ray addon would be that great.  Is it even possible to transmit losless audio over a USB?  As far as I know, it has to be done through HDMI.  I was never able to get it over a coax or optical cable myself.

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(trentdadi @ Oct 22 2009, 10:01 PM) View Post

I'd stick with a stand-alone player.  I don't believe the quality of a blu-ray addon would be that great.  Is it even possible to transmit losless audio over a USB?  As far as I know, it has to be done through HDMI.  I was never able to get it over a coax or optical cable myself.

I would think so, especially considering that a lot of recording studio's DACs use an usb interface.

I wonder if the Blu-ray annoucement has anything to do with project natal? While I know M$ said they would never require/release an upgrade attachment for games, since project natal is coming out there may be a chance that there will be blu-ray versions of natal games?  dry.gif

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(trentdadi @ Oct 22 2009, 04:01 PM) *

It can be done if the 360 itself will decompress the data from the disc (and it will). A blu-ray has a transfer rate up to either 8 or 11MBps (I can't remember which). If it's 11MBps, that's a transfer of 88Mbps through USB. USB 2.0 has a max theoretical transfer rate of up to 480Mbps, way more than what is necessary for bluray.

To address what you said about HDMI and audio... Keep in mind, by the time the data reaches the HDMI cable it has been decompressed to it's full glory. Something that can reach up to a theoretical 10.2Gbps. Optical and Coaxial cannot handle lossless audio because it was designed that way. The transfer rate is way too low, and it simply cannot handle that kind of data. Again, not because of the physical equipment, but because of built in limitations from when Sony and Phillips created those Digital InterFaces.

Might have been a form of control, may have been a lack of foresight.

Edit: BTW, most studios use Firewire, although USB is catching up rapidly.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Oct 22 2009, 11:42 PM

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »

According to Major Nelson this whole thing is all a big misunderstanding and there are no plans for a 360 Blu-ray player.

QUOTE(Major Nelson @ Oct 22 2009, 03:02 PM)

We have no plans for Blu-Ray on Xbox 360

During an interview yesterday, Steve Ballmer was asked about Blu-Ray and the Xbox 360. I wanted to clear something up. Steve was referring to Blu-Ray accessories for the PC. As we have said in the past, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-Ray drive for the Xbox 360. In fact, the future of home entertainment starts very soon when Xbox 360 becomes the first and only console to offer instant-on 1080p streaming HD movies. With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly watch the movies they want, when they want, in the highest form of high definition.

This post has been edited by sabbath_dude: Oct 22 2009, 11:58 PM

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Oct 22 2009, 04:57 PM) View Post

According to Major Nelson this whole thing is all a big misunderstanding and there are no plans for a 360 Blu-ray player.

I call BS.  Unless Steve is really that stupid, and misunderstood xbox for pc.

Halcyon-X12

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »

Our immediate solution for Blu-ray-quality video on an Xbox 360 is coming this fall with Zune Video and 1080p instant-on HD streaming

750kbps 1080p video will look like youtube...
Pages: 1 [2]