xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Don't Expect More Web Series on Xbox Anytime Soon  (Read 87 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Don't Expect More Web Series on Xbox Anytime Soon
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | September 21 17:23 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From businessweek.com:

While Felicia Day and her Web series The Guild may have scored a great deal for distribution on the Xbox and other Microsoft platforms--which involved promotion to a massive audience, a Sprint sponsorship, and allowed her to keep her intellectual property--other Web series creators may have trouble following in her footsteps.

We sat down with Ross Honey, Microsoft's general manager of global content acquisition and strategy in its media and entertainment group, earlier this week in Redmond, Wash., to talk about the kinds of content the company is looking for and how Web video plays into that. Honey's answers didn't make the Xbox Live sound like much of a Web content distribution opportunity. As he explained it, the process of cutting deals for Web series and securing and inserting ads in them is just too much hassle.

Full Story: businessweek.com

CollinstheClown

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »

Good, it's a gaming console... not youtube....

-CollinstheClown

cory1492

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »

As he explained it, the process of cutting deals for Web series and securing and inserting ads in them is just too much hassle.

Oh my... it must really bite when you have to actually work for money, to try new things that may bring value to the company - but I guess this fellow doesn't really know anything about that, perhaps even just knowing it is "too much hassle." Makes me wonder what else these folks are saying "meh, hassle" to.

Of course it's somewhat out of context, but it still makes the guy sound like a lazy clown especially since they haven't really tested the model/idea to see if it really is "too much hassle." I'm sure when someone comes up with a way that proves revenue they will be in line to buy it, "hassle free."

This post has been edited by cory1492: Sep 22 2009, 12:22 AM

kingatrock

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

Could be he's just bullshitting and the real reason is nobody cares about it. Stick to gaming please.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »

I believe what they are trying to get us to understand is that you must do something truly creative/original to get this type of treatment from them.  I am sure there are a TON of people out there who see this show and how MS is helping to market it and thinking they can throw something together and get the same treatment.