xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Joystiq Interview: Last.fm on Xbox Live  (Read 130 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Joystiq Interview: Last.fm on Xbox Live
« on: July 28, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | July 28 16:59 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From xbox.joystiq.com:

Read Yeung's take from the Last.fm side of the deal, as she discusses a range of topics, including why her company is better than Pandora, its social media plans, and how audio scrobbling works in APB.

* Is the Last.fm functionality that's coming to Xbox Live the same functionality you get on the website? Previously, there was a rather wonky way to access Last.fm through the Media Center. What about now?
* A little bit of yes and no. I think, yes, it will be the Last.fm experience that users are accustomed to, and that idea of the recommended music and the personalized radio stations, and as per our new radio page, that kind of multi-sensory visual experience. So that will be the same in terms of the core experience.
I guess what will be different is obviously we are going to work with Xbox and take advantage of being on another platform and take advantage of what that platform offers. And secondly, because it is in the living room now versus on your PC, it is going to have a different user interaction experience. So all those things will be optimized for it to be on the Xbox platform and be in the living room, but ultimately it is that Last.fm experience that our users, and probably now new Xbox users, value.

* Will the service be available to all Xbox users, or is it specific to certain regions? We're guessing it'll be available in the UK, since Last.fm is based in the UK ...
* Right. Last.fm is a global service, so we will be available in the US. We are obviously looking at other territories as well, given both the brands are quite global in nature, but that has yet to be determined.

* Will you be able to log into Last.fm on your computer and see if any of your friends there are also Xbox Live users, and vice versa? Will your accounts be tied together?
* That is definitely really interesting, and that is definitely one of the reasons why Xbox is so attractive to us in the first place, because there is that big community angle to Xbox Live. And as you know, the platform is community driven. So in the future, being able to really marry those communities more and have that be transparent is definitely
something that we want to think about.
But in the first iteration of this experience, it is really about getting Last.fm up and running in an appropriate way for that living room experience. So those types of community integrations, we know we have talked about it obviously, and it is something that seems obvious that we should be doing in the future, but that really will not be in the first implementation.

Full Story: xbox.joystiq.com

vinchenzison

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

What would be great is to be able to share music (links) across xbox live to friends to tell them about new bands etc.
Also to be able to stream music and play games at the same time. Don't think this would work in multiplayer but single player. Be great to be playing Forza 3 and have the in car radio connected to LastFM :-)

_8ight

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

Can I scrobble tracks that are playing through my 360?  I know I'm missing the major point of the service... but I want the ability to scrobble.

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure Last.FM on the XBOX 360 is next to useless, seeing as you can not use it while doing something else.
ie, Last.FM can not be used while playing a game.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

* Will the service be available to all Xbox users, or is it specific to certain regions? We're guessing it'll be available in the UK, since Last.fm is based in the UK ...
* Right. Last.fm is a global service, so we will be available in the US. We are obviously looking at other territories as well, given both the brands are quite global in nature, but that has yet to be determined.
Wait a second, that answer was all PR bulls#it and didn't answer the question!. He doesn't actually confirm if the UK will get last.fm or not. All he confirmed was that it would definitely be available to US customers. It reads to me like this is going to be another Netflix situation where the UK and every other Live region gets the shaft.

This post has been edited by sabbath_dude: Jul 29 2009, 12:42 AM

tbb033

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »

There was an answer, maybe, depending on how you parse things.
We're guessing it'll be available in the UK, since Last.fm is based in the UK ...
* Right.

Then it goes on to say it'll be in the US too.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(tbb033 @ Jul 29 2009, 02:41 AM) View Post

There was an answer, maybe, depending on how you parse things.

Then it goes on to say it'll be in the US too.
Sounds/reads more like "right, here's the situation" as apposed to "correct, the UK will get last.fm". He doesn't actually give an answer and only confirms the US will be getting last.fm and they are looking into other territories. He doesn't mention any other region apart from US, it's a craftily worded PR answer. And if they are looking into other territories then that confirms the service isn't going to be available for everyone. So in that case who's going to be left out?, Canada?, Australia?, Europe?.

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Jul 29 2009, 03:00 AM) *
So in that case who's going to be left out?, Canada?, Australia?, Europe?.

But doesn't America = The World?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Looks that way to me based on the amount of times other nations get shafted..

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »

Why has no one asked directly if it can be used in-game? I guess it's obvious to everyone, huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
It shouldn't be that hard. I don't care if I can't browse my achievements or background download other stuff while I'm listening, I just want it in-game.
EDIT: Oh, they confirmed it in the first place. Any way to hack last.fm support in via UPnP since Microsoft obviously can't do it on its own?

This post has been edited by ssj4android: Jul 29 2009, 05:16 AM

SupaDawg

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »

I would say it will be a near certainty that last.fm will be free and available on the 360 to anyone in any of the current free last.fm regions (USA, UK, Germany and any they've recently added)

Perhaps we'll get lucky and anyone paying for a subscription outside those regions will have access.