xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microsoft Says Still No Blu-ray Addon Plans for the Xbox 360  (Read 420 times)

jdsony

• Archived User
Microsoft Says Still No Blu-ray Addon Plans for the Xbox 360
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jul 24 2009, 04:47 PM) View Post

Real life doesn't look blurry to me. If the human eye naturally blurs images how come it doesn't blur the Xmen demo in 1080p, making it look "better"?

haha that's awesome.

I say just start get the old factories going and pump out some more HDDVD drives to please the masses.

Grumbledock

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »

I can understand why MS says no to a blu-ray addon, it would not come cheap (develop, sell, market etc.) and if they did put games on blu-ray everyone would have to buy one to be able to play the new games, so they would have to make new 360-models with blu-ray instead of dvd, and sell the "old" versions cheaper. A lot of customers would too be mad because they would have to buy the addon.
To little, too late is blu-ray for 360. Most games still is fine on a dvd-dl, and in orst cases yu may need 1 or two more, no big deal. Especially since those games that requires a lot of space mostly is j-rpg, not you're ordinary, mainstream action or rpg-title. Wii sell's like mad and doesn't have blu-ray, Wii2 will probally neither have it..

The next generation of xbox on the other hand, is in dire need for something more than dvd-dl to fit the games. Until 2011-2012 we can cope with one or dvd's, but after that there is no future in using dvd's any more, since games would require such a vast number of discs (still remember those PC-games with 7-9cd's). Blu-ray is one option, a big harddrive and the ability to download games is also possible, but neither practical nor useful for everybody. Blu-ray, hd-dvd, Terrabyte-dvd, memory-sticks, memory cards?
Something bigger than a ordinary dvd is required, or a multilayer-dvd (those are expensive and bad quality too) is required. That's a fact MS knows, and the next generation will show us how they've solved the problem. Blu-ray for this generation would be fun, but not necessary, neither required or worth the money I think.

Media extenders like pocornhour, WD TV or Xtreamer (better then WD, with mkv, subs, .ISO etc) is part of the future. If you rip the movies, or download them (legally) is your choise, you can buy a blu-ray too if you want. But media extenders will always be smoother, faster and give more, the only thing they lack is the ability to get new movies fast, cheap (and legal in most cases).

Halcyon-X12

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »

So then why doesn't MS just support blu-ray USB drives?  They won't have to worry about anything except the software side, and they have support for blu-ray in Windows 7 anyway so it's not like they don't know how.

gamerfreak1727

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

What's wrong with DVDs? I mean seriously, there ISNT that much of a difference..

Grumbledock

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Halcyon-X12 @ Jul 25 2009, 12:42 AM) View Post

Actually there's a huge difference between blu-rays and DVD.  Putting aside the higher resolution and bit-rate to lessen artifacts, the color depth is the most striking difference.  You will really need component inputs or HDMI to enjoy this.

On DVDs, colors look muddy and muted.  The dynamic range is less, so in dark areas especially, the colors all blend together on DVDs and you can barely see any detail, it just looks like globs of color banding.

I'm sure that color depth suffers on highly compressed videos such as those streamed and stored on 360s and other such services, but it's still probably better than DVDs.

Try switching between an up-scaled DVD and blu-ray on the same HDTV, there's a huge difference.

Someones painting a devil on the wall...
I think dvd is just fine, have had a blast watching my favourite movies for many years without any of those problems, heck, even VHS did a good job back in those days. Sorry to shatter you're dreams, but blu-ray is not superactionjesus when it comes to digital discs, it's just a like dvd, something well use for some years (5-15) before it's replaced with something atleast 5x better. Dvd is great, HD is much better but dvd is still enjoyable to watch (still have some goodis on VHS that hasn't been released in a decent format yet).

Still agree, that blu-ray via usb should be supportet, even if MS don't produce/sell it themselfes. Just adding the support doesn't hurt..

Halcyon-X12

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »

Sure, DVDs are fine, and I'll still pick up DVDs when I won't really care about an enhanced picture because of the price, but don't try and tell me blu-rays don't look a lot better than DVDs.  If they're the same price, I'll always go with the blu-ray, and there are some movies or shows I just want in that format because it will enhance my personal experience.  The fact that blu-rays don't scratch is a bonus too... every time I picked up a used one (game or movie), I was able to wipe away every mark.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Halcyon-X12 @ Jul 25 2009, 12:42 AM) View Post

Try switching between an up-scaled DVD and blu-ray on the same HDTV, there's a huge difference.

I completely agree. The difference is night and day.

spyder2314

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

Typical M$ Strategy. Denying the end users options and forcing them to buy merchandise only from them. I don't think many users are going to like being locked into buying movies from marketplace if they want "HD" Quality. Or "almost HD quality." Thats why i refuse to buy a 360, i hate having no options.

Grumbledock

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(spyder2314 @ Jul 26 2009, 01:17 AM) View Post

Typical M$ Strategy. Denying the end users options and forcing them to buy merchandise only from them. I don't think many users are going to like being locked into buying movies from marketplace if they want "HD" Quality. Or "almost HD quality." Thats why i refuse to buy a 360, i hate having no options.

As if Sony or Nintendo gives you any other possibility's?
Try and connect a blu-ray to you're Wii, or why not stream a HD-movie to your PS3?
Of course MS isn't so stupid that they let you use a product from a concurrent on their system, it would just be a fatal mistake. Streaming movies in full HD is no problem for me (and most of the people in Sweden, probably rest of Scandinavia to (maybe even most of Europe). The next gen of consoles need something bigger than a dvd, that's true, but blu-ray today would be expensive and unnecessary for lots of reasons.

I prefer a silent, smooth and fast way of watching movies instead of the "new" but painfully slow and limited blu-ray technology. Just because they won the war it seems like improvements for the slow reading of discs, blu-ray online etc. improvements is still far, far away. I'll buy a blu-ray when I get something that does everything I want, and payed for, in a decent time, blu-ray is not yet there. Still, a stand alone blu-ray has more to offer than a console-bundled one (to day at least), and the idea of a cheap 360 would also die with the blu-ray.

Josheh

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 02:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(spyder2314 @ Jul 26 2009, 01:17 AM) *

What on earth are you doing on "xbox-scene" If you don't even own a xbox 360 ?

You're probably one of them caveman, big time nerds who lurk around forums and talk shit about the competition consoles, when in fact they are practically the god damn same.

People like spyder2314 make me feel better about my own life, If you have time to do what he's doing you have a problem, Now go back to your Sony forums where we dont have to put up with your shit.

jhoff80

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jul 24 2009, 04:51 AM) View Post

You're forgetting that MS DID have an optical strategy in place with HD-DVD. How committed they were for it to succeed is something only they know, but they poured millions of dollars into the R&D, Marketing and production. So it failed and now they're saying "We didn't want it in the first place"?

I wouldn't be surprised if the reasoning was that Bluray was going to dominate the market if it wasn't for Microsoft's push for it.  By backing HD-DVD, Microsoft helped cause a much longer competition than there would've been otherwise, and the longer the formats were in disarray, the more it'd push consumers to digital downloads from places like XBox Live Marketplace.

DataBitz

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »

Netflix etc are all good for countries which have that but most countries do not.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Josheh @ Jul 26 2009, 10:44 AM) View Post

What on earth are you doing on "xbox-scene" If you don't even own a xbox 360 ?

You're probably one of them caveman, big time nerds who lurk around forums and talk shit about the competition consoles, when in fact they are practically the god damn same.

People like spyder2314 make me feel better about my own life, If you have time to do what he's doing you have a problem, Now go back to your Sony forums where we dont have to put up with your shit.

Owning a 360 is not a requirement to participate in these forums. Don't stir up trouble with character analysis on someone you don't know. He has as much right to an opinion as anyone else and I didn't see him name calling. Seems you don't like to hear an opinion about MS in the negative.
Pages: 1 2 [3]