xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb External Hdd To 360  (Read 82 times)

Impaired Cross

• Archived User
Usb External Hdd To 360
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »

hey, i looked for a search button and i couldn't find it. but anyways here goes. i'm buying a core system (no hdd just the 360 itself) and i was wondering if it would be possible to use the external usb 2.0 HDD that i have for my home PC as the HDD for the 360. i'm short on funds and this is what i can afford to finish my entertainment system in the new room of the house. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Impaired Cross

• Archived User
Usb External Hdd To 360
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »

is there a way i can get it to work for games and saves without running the risk of messing up the xbox itself and/or getting in trouble for hacking system hardware?

Impaired Cross

• Archived User
Usb External Hdd To 360
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Impaired Cross @ Jun 23 2009, 11:12 PM) View Post

is there a way i can get it to work for games and saves without running the risk of messing up the xbox itself and/or getting in trouble for hacking system hardware?

bump

scuba156

• Archived User
Usb External Hdd To 360
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »

nope. it cant be done. usb HDD's can only be used for media

the system will only allow save game loads through the media card slot, or the sata HDD connection.

You could, however, do some research into HDDhacker and create your own partitioned HDD but that will only work with certian WD HDD's

you may even want to look into this http://forums.xbox-s...o...684313&st=0

Impaired Cross

• Archived User
Usb External Hdd To 360
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »

thank you i appreciate it! i just find that the HDD for the xbox is ridiculously over priced.

like look at this TD has a 1TB external HDD for 109USD with FREE SHIPPING!

http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=M261-8214

Impaired Cross

• Archived User
Usb External Hdd To 360
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »

yeah i saw a few for around 20 - 25 dollars i may pick up two of them so i can mod one and what not.

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
Usb External Hdd To 360
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »

the 360 hdd allows you to save the game image to the console and play from the hdd with the game disck in the drive for verification. a 20gb hdd it is worth $25 just for the quieter experience. you can also hack a wd120gb hdd and upgrade the 20gb drive for under $60.

however, it should also be noted that the retail $200 arcade consoles include 256mb of memory for gamesave storage and for the nxe dashboard. supposedly this is now increased to 512mb. neither is actually enough space to rip your games for quieter gameplay, but enough to download the divx codec, netflix player and to save your place in a game.

it should also be noted that there will very likely be another 360 price drop - as soon as sony announces their own ps3 price drop.