xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Another Pc To Xbox Networking Problem......  (Read 313 times)

Mulpsy

• Archived User
Another Pc To Xbox Networking Problem......
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »

Hey, Im having huge problems networking my xbox360 to my Vista Home Premium PC. Ive scrolled thru hundreds of pages, tried everything I can think of and now I'm in need of an IT god.....And this is gonna be long so I hope someone has the time to read thru this to give some new ideas!

I have a xbox360, Vista pc and an XP pc hooked up to a hub or switch, which then goes to a router thru to the big bad world. Both PC's work fine on the internet and the xbox hooks up to Live no problems.

My Vista PC can see my xbox in the network map but cant see my XP PC, Xbox cant see anything and XP PC cant see anything.....I dont really care about the XP PC as its an old PC I only use for flashing as it has a com port and a via chipset. But I really want to stream movies from my Vista PC to my xbox - which it used to do until something weird happened and it just stopped. By weird I mean I turned on my comp one day and it had formatted itself somehow......

Vista Media Center - the extender cant find the 8 digit number that my xbox gives me....Ive tried heaps of times and I dont have any xbox's showing in the extenders, I didnt delete it from when it was working - they just are not there from when it formatted I think.

Windows Media Player - The xbox dosnt show up in "share media to" window although I have all the boxes ticked. I have network discovery on, file shareing on, public sharing on and media sharing on in the network screen.

Firewalls - I have tried with windows firewall off, also the "hidden"windows firewall off, and I also uninstalled Nortons. Nortons was a trial that came with my PC when I bought it. I uninstalled it when it was over, then installed McAffee.....When I still couldnt get it to work I uninstalled McAfee also. Still didnt work so i tried to re-install McAfee but it couldnt reach its server during installation......So as I needed some virus protection I installed Avira from the net. Avira wont update - comes up with an error message.

Tversity - I read about this so installed it to see if it would work......Cant get access to the internet.

Orb - Another programme I thought Id try....Cant access the internet.

Im not sure if my router has a firewall, but as my xbox and comp are going thru a hub before the router I dont think this is the problem - although it may be stopping the other progs from reaching the web.

This is really starting to gut me, Ive got a heap of flicks I wanna watch on my big screen and home theater. To me it sounds like a hidden firewall not letting the pc reach out.....or maybe Nortons or McAffee didnt do a full Uninstall and is still blocking ports - but im no expert.

I just need some real clever people to give me ideas or new things to try!
Cheers!

Jbasto

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »

If its wired then Tversity should work with out no problems at all that what i use, cause i know of some issues when i had my wireless and tryin to connect to my vista machine.

Mulpsy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:40:00 AM »

Yeah its all wired - cant afford wireless right now :-(

But when I open Tversity it comes up "Unable to connect to internet" which has gotta be ports being blocked by something? And how do I find that something?

Maybe I gotta do a full format and reinstall.......kinda getting desperate now!

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Jbasto

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »

thats so  blink.gif  cause mine never trys to connect to the internet.

Have u add the media u want to serve, installed the newest app of Tversirty

JRLROCKS

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »

Champ.

Seems you are pretty lost. The process should be rather simple.

1) Have you downloaded and installed the latest version of TVersity? http://tversity.com/ (V1.6)
It doesn't matter if it's the free version or pro. Follow the instructions in the installer.
2) If yes, you need to open TVersity and click on library... then either browse to add your video folder or drag n drop the folder into the TVersity window.
3) TVersity needs to be running to connect XBOX360 to it.
4) Head over to your XBOX360 and fire it up
5) push the big X button in the center of your controller.
6) head to settings -> system settings -> Network settings -> Test PC connection
7) If all is well... once it checks you should see the screen change and TVersity on VISTAPCNAME : 1
8) click that and you should be taken to the video library.
9) If not, then head to the video library and you shouls see TVersity on VISTAPCNAME : 1 click that.
10) The the all folder.

That's it...

For Vista follow this - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/xbox360.mspx
There's even a link to show you how to setup your firewall. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...r/firewall.mspx

Good luck...

Mulpsy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »

thanks for the help - you make it sound so easy!

I cant load media to Tversity - when I click the "submit" button it says "unable to connect to server, please make sure its running." Says that when I load pics, audio, movies from either my external HD or internal HD.

I tried the firewall link also, and did everything it said. I did notice where it should say multiple firewalls running, it didnt - even tho I had both windows firewall and the Avira firewall running.

So I turned them both off, and tried the Tversity thing again - still no luck.

On the other link to set up the Media Extender....where it says "optimize your home network" - I couldnt find the network performance tuner it talks about, but i did find a network test button - and it couldnt connect to the internet.....same as Orb and Tversity.

Any other ideas?

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mulpsy @ Jun 19 2009, 08:44 PM) View Post

thanks for the help - you make it sound so easy!

I cant load media to Tversity - when I click the "submit" button it says "unable to connect to server, please make sure its running." Says that when I load pics, audio, movies from either my external HD or internal HD.

I tried the firewall link also, and did everything it said. I did notice where it should say multiple firewalls running, it didnt - even tho I had both windows firewall and the Avira firewall running.

So I turned them both off, and tried the Tversity thing again - still no luck.

On the other link to set up the Media Extender....where it says "optimize your home network" - I couldnt find the network performance tuner it talks about, but i did find a network test button - and it couldnt connect to the internet.....same as Orb and Tversity.

Any other ideas?

You need to start TVersity server. It should be in one of the menu's of TVersity.

Also make sure that you have WMP11, and have disabled WMP's sharing, as  TVersity doesnt start its server if sharing is enabled.

http://tversity.com/...ort/quickstart/

If you can, open a DMZ to your Xbox 360 to open all ports to it just to eliminate any network ports being blocked. just make sure to turn DMZ back off

Mulpsy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »

Ok, I uninstalled Tversity and re-downloaded the latest version 1.6 and got it running. i also turned off media sharing in WMP11 - and it is WMP 11!

When I hit the Guide button it still says "unable to connect to the internet".

And every time i try to do something like add to the library it still says "unable to connect to server....."

In the general settings tab when I click on start sharing it says tversity media sharing is being started but it still says Tversity Media Service is stopped or not responding. So nothing has changed :-(

Im not too sure what you mean by opening a DMZ but ill give it a go if you could explain a bit more.