xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft undecided on Netflix for Europe  (Read 70 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft undecided on Netflix for Europe
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | March 3 15:11 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From eurogamer.net:

UK Xbox boss Neil Thompson has declined to comment on when - or indeed whether - European 360 owners will ever get a Netflix-style movie download service.

"Netflix is a great deal in the US, and we're looking at what we might want to do here in the future," Thompson told Eurogamer. "But we think the content we're offering is broad-ranging and pretty deep. We have to evolve the live service in different territories at different speeds, depending on what we're able to achieve."

So, any chance we might see a Netflix-style deal in Europe by, say, the end of this year? "I don't know yet where we're going to take the services we've got," Thompson said. "We're concentrating on delivering the services we've got and bolstering the content we've got."

He added, "There will be evolutions of that service, absolutely, but I'm not going to give you any timelines or specifics." Oh well.

Full Story: eurogamer.net

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »

i predict alot of people getting bent out of shape about this, but don't forget, the netflix deal is a PARTNERSHIP. Microsoft would have to either convince netflix to open itself up to foreign accounts (which would result in all kinds of legal complications for netflix) or microsoft would have to find another company in europe which provides a similar service.

i don't know what you guys have out there for comparable services in europe, and its definitely a relevant question.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »

I dont want netflix, I want TV shows on there normal service (that you can keep on your HDD) thats all I want MS, come on USA has it why not us or at least allow BBC Iplayer. My 360 is boxed up ready to be sold so when I get a Jasper I want this to happen MS *wishful thinking lol*.

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

Also the US is one country and easy to mail and control the content.  I know governments had to give up their monopolies on letter sending by 2009 (EU) which means something like UPS or FEDEX (or others) could solve that problem.  However I am unfamiliar with how Trademarks and Licensing takes place throughout europe (as whole or individual?)  Netflix could iron this out and simply charge bandwidth/licensing/etc fees plus a profit.  I had the service for a 14 day free trial and the HD content was simply not there for my continue(do no have blu-ray so only dealt with online HD).

This post has been edited by metalcoat: Mar 4 2009, 01:02 AM

justageezer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »

"Netflix is a great deal in the US, and we're looking at what we might want to do here in the future,"
Marketing-speak - Semantically NULL

"But we think the content we're offering is broad-ranging and pretty deep. We have to evolve the live service in different territories at different speeds, depending on what we're able to achieve."
Semantically also NULL

"I don't know yet where we're going to take the services we've got,"
Still NULL

"We're concentrating on delivering the services we've got and bolstering the content we've got."
More NULLNESS-ness

"There will be evolutions of that service, absolutely, but I'm not going to give you any timelines or specifics."
And some final NULLNICITY

Damn - Neil Thompson used to be one M$ employee who actually gave interesting interviews. This one is so mindless it could only have come from a PR department. C'mon Neil!