xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Wont Update Share Contents  (Read 157 times)

brando56894

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Wont Update Share Contents
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »

I have shares created on my PC that is running Windows 7 Beta so I can watch movies but Ive noticed that the xbox wont update the shares list regularly, for example if I rename beer_fest_xvid to beerfest and go to the folder that its in the xbox will still show it as beer_fest_xvid, or when I move new files into the shared folder they wont show up. Its not a problem with the codecs since if I copy it to a flash drive it works perfectly.

nutts55

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

I am also having the same problem, new downloads won't show up until I search for new media inside wmp11. I have vista and the lasted wmp11. I just started having this problem a week ago before that it updated on it's own.

Millerboy3

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »

Windows 7 uses WMP12  but it depends on the build of Windows 7 you use because i have this error on build 6801 (my laptop) but not on build 7022 (new desktop)  so i dont know.

Sic Of Life

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »

I couldn't even get WMC to work right with my 360 using build 7000. Music works but no movies, not at all. No biggie though cause I can still put my movies on a flash drive but it would be nice to have that feature.

brando56894

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »

i dont believe i tried it with WMP since i dont even use that anyway i just do it via shares anyway, and i only use the 360 if i wanna watch HD movies but i cant seem to get longer movies to encode past 81 minutes with encodeHD, the creator of it said that its a problem with FFmpeg. we have an extra computer thats not in use so whenever i want to watch HD movies Ill just hook that up to our flatscreen LCD.

Although it would be nice to use the xbox :-/

G19

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(PimpTwzt @ Mar 5 2009, 08:39 AM) View Post

I have build 7000 of Win 7 Beta 1 as well and I was just messing with this the other night and would ripping my hair out lol, its very picky on what it updates I guess. I had to delete all files in that folder after stopping media share service under task manager. I then restarted WMP and i disabled sharing on my music folder b.c it does that first and have much more music than movies so it wouldnt take so long. But yes this is no doubt a bug in the beta.

All I had to do was start WMP and go into the Video library. After a few seconds it would start to update the shared folders and add new additions to the list.

brando56894

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

i was messing around with it yesterday trying to get a HD rip of underworld to stream. My contents werent updated when I used normal file sharing or using WMP, but if i used WMC all of my things were updated, but only in media center  mad.gif

the underworld rip worked perfectly in WMP and WMC on my computer, but once i connected to WMC via the xbox and tried to stream it, it said that necessary files werent installed and that i should either restart WMC or my computer. i did both but it didnt seem to fix it sad.gif

Mozbius

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

I think that I've found the problem (it may be that the folder names have changed or something...).

Open Windows Media Player
Go to the Tools menu and select Options
Click on the Library tab
Click on Monitor Folders
Select "My personal folders"
Add all folders that apply
Click OK

Now you're files should show properly in your Xbox360. (you may need to clear up your library ... make sure to disable the deletion of medias on clearing up your library or you may loose your files)

jkonrad

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »

I also have this problem.  Feels to me like Xbox keeps it's own database of files being shared, WMP keeps it's own, and they've had a little falling out and don't talk near as much as they used to.

As someone mentioned, using "Add To Library" generally works, but sometimes not.  I'm guessing it updates it's own database, but doesn't trigger Xbox to synch up.

Another thing you can do is play to video/audio file briefly in WMP, that way it's sure to get in the database.

Hopefully this little mess will be cleaned up at some point.  The 360 has wanted to be The Media Hub since inception, and while for the first year or so it sure didn't act like it.  Can't play AVI/DiVX?  Helloo?

Doing much better now, but still some work to do.

(Oh, just wanted to add... if like me the only thing you use WMP for is to stream to the 360, do yourself a favor and remove all the watched directories in the library to save yourself some serious time when you're just trying to watch the new video yet have to sit and wait while it trudges through 24,900 media files to find the one you want to add. 8)