xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox Live is 'Proverbial Gold Mine' for Netflix, says Pachter  (Read 239 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox Live is 'Proverbial Gold Mine' for Netflix, says Pachter
« on: January 27, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 27 21:56 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamedaily.com:

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter believes there's a great synergy between Xbox Live and Netflix. He estimates that over eight million Xbox Live Gold members connect to the Internet in their living rooms and are "a click of the mouse away from becoming Netflix subscribers."

He estimates that 800,000 of these Xbox Live households were already Netflix customers when the streaming service debuted and as many as 200,000 of these customers joined Netflix in the last half of the quarter. This has obviously been a great boon for the video rentals company, and Pachter doesn't expect the trend to slow down any time soon.

"...we think that subscriber growth will continue at super-normal levels for quite some time. We believe that the Xbox Live Gold membership is a proverbial gold mine of potential members, and expect to see as many as 1 million join as Netflix members in the next year," he said.

Full Story: gamedaily.com

InajaD

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »

I personally subscribed to netflix only because I'd able to stream movies n etc... Enjoy it very much, and for a buck more a month u can have ur movies delivered in blue ray (if available). And c'mon! 8.99 sure beats blockbusters ridiculous 24.99 crap.

viewwin

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »

LG, Vizio and numerous other T.V. manufactures have T.V.s coming out this spring that stream netflix without the need for the xbox.  I might pick one up just so I don't here the fan running while watching a movie.

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »

netflix on the 360 is awesome, not perfect, but amazing - esp since i was already a subscriber to both services the streaming benefit was thus "free"...

cheap on-demand entertainment...just shy of a utopian experience - all they need is to continue to expand the catalog...

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »

i hate having to set up the que on my computer. hopefully im not missing something hehe, add a browse on 360 feature later

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »

I signed up for the 28 day trial 14+14 when you quit mainly for streaming.  However they do not have a large enough hd streaming section and going to my computer every 3 minutes is not what I call fun.  I am willing to pay about $15 a month for unlimited hd streaming with choices from xbox 360.  Until then sorry.

ZakMcRofl

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »

Does anyone know how they filter out european customers? Would a US account work for streaming in europe or would you need a US VPN to trick them?

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(ZakMcRofl @ Jan 28 2009, 09:57 AM) View Post

Does anyone know how they filter out european customers? Would a US account work for streaming in europe or would you need a US VPN to trick them?

i dont think they can filter out non-US users - you just have to download the NXE update thing from teh marketplace & set-up a Netflix account on your PC.

- can someone who uses Netflix tell me if its possible to cancel your membership online?
i would register, but i dont want to have to call up a US number just to cancel if i need to  smile.gif

royvedas

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:46:00 AM »

Why the f*** does one have to be gold member?? You have to pay extra for the service anyway - are they stupid or what?

(statement written in anger, because of the apparent stupidness of the gold member thing. However there could be factual knowledge making this perfectly understandable. If you have this knowledge - please share it.)

doubleu

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(royvedas @ Jan 28 2009, 06:46 AM) View Post

Why the f*** does one have to be gold member?? You have to pay extra for the service anyway - are they stupid or what?

(statement written in anger, because of the apparent stupidness of the gold member thing. However there could be factual knowledge making this perfectly understandable. If you have this knowledge - please share it.)

At $2.31 USD a month ($30 USD for 12+1 xbox live card), can we just get that not be so angry? smile.gif

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(royvedas @ Jan 28 2009, 12:46 PM) View Post

Microsoft could easily make it available for Silver users, but have chosen not to (for obvious reasons).

hulk2

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »

i hit 283gb in one month cuz of this.

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(ZakMcRofl @ Jan 28 2009, 10:57 AM) View Post

It's a thing called public IP address.  Unless you push all of your internet connections threw a proxy (good buy Netflix) you can't fake your public IP.

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(K1LLERHORNET @ Jan 28 2009, 06:57 AM) *

i dont think they can filter out non-US users - you just have to download the NXE update thing from teh marketplace & set-up a Netflix account on your PC.

- can someone who uses Netflix tell me if its possible to cancel your membership online?
i would register, but i dont want to have to call up a US number just to cancel if i need to  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes it is easy.  Once you register simply logon then my account and cancel subscription.  

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(doubleu @ Jan 28 2009, 05:36 PM) View Post

At $2.31 USD a month ($30 USD for 12+1 xbox live card), can we just get that not be so angry? smile.gif

Can you send me $2?
Pages: [1] 2