xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bach: Blu-ray Isn’t Wanted By Xbox Consumers  (Read 503 times)

Grumbledock

• Archived User
Bach: Blu-ray Isn’t Wanted By Xbox Consumers
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 05:37:00 AM »

Well, I would really like:

*A web browser, (even if ie sucks)
*Support for mkv, (with subtitles/mp4 with subtitles) etc.
*And of course a bluray, even a cheap one would do just untill the stand alone gets cheap enogh to be worth buying (next consol 2010, how many dvds per game until then, 5? 7? 9?)

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(trentdadi @ Jan 9 2009, 10:22 PM) View Post

Last I heard, the HD-DVD add on saw a 2% attach rate and at the time was among the cheapest HD-DVD players as long as you already owned a 360.  The attachment rate for a stand-alone Blu-ray player would be even less.  Any add-on they make will be plagued by limitations.  A good portion of xbox 360s in people's homes do not even have HDMI ports.  It isn't impossible but it is very rare for a display device to be able to display 1080p over component.  I do not think that Dolby TrueHD or DTS-Master would even be possible.  There is just too many potential issues that would condemn the idea from the beginning.  It would just never be as good as a stand-alone player could be.

It could be better by far than a standalone player. never out of date. permanently upgradeable via software updates. It could be anything they wished it to be. The price would be the limiting factor

I am not sure how anyone could know already if they would even want it or not. ] Who knows what would be possible or the best case scenario specs would be.

Contradicts what you said above.

If you really want a blu-ray player, just go buy the samsung one someone stated earlier, it's a fantastic player and imo you can never go wrong with samsung.

laugh.gif  Be honest you haven't got one. You wouldn't say you could never go wrong with Samsung if you had to service their warranty covered equipment. They are ok for the money but not top notch stuff.
ask any owner of one of their optical drives , how good the tray load mech is.?

manu_xl

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »

in europe 90% still have a regular television. why would they like to have blueray if they cant watch the movies on a hdtv ?

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(keystroke @ Jan 9 2009, 12:10 AM) View Post

if they release a browser the console will be hijacked straight away, it's not worth their time updating a browser when everyone has a PC Anywaqy.

I'm sick of these kind of responses. Nobody can prove that the browser would be hijacked right away (although I'm sure hackers would turn their attention towards it).

The Wii & the PS3 BOTH come bundled with a web browser. Aside from that, there's firmware hacks for EVERY dvd-drive that appears in a 360, so don't gimme that "what about piracy" crap, because frankly, I don't see how it could get any easier. The Wii has several hacks and chips as well, but I haven't seen much complaining on Nintendo's side, as they're still selling wiis to everyone (except for people I know). If the web browser is a guaranteed "hijack", then how come there's still no way to run unsigned code on a PS3 (save installing another OS and having it's RSX gimped)?

I'm not saying it would never happen, but it's just the worst arguement *not* to have a web browser.

brando56894

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(MickRaider @ Jan 8 2009, 05:43 PM) View Post

I think people would rather have digital download and cheaper larger hard drives.

There's really no reason it costs so much to increase your hard drive space.

there is a reason.... microsoft wants to screw you out of every single penny you have. for example $300-400 operating systems THAT YOU DONT LEGALLY OWN and $400 office suites. theyre in the business to make money not to satisfy consumer wants, which is a horrible business model but theyre able to do it since they have a huge market share.

YLA G

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 04:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(manu_xl @ Jan 11 2009, 06:39 PM) View Post

in europe 90% still have a regular television. why would they like to have blueray if they cant watch the movies on a hdtv ?

lol where you from?

btw.. "how many % with an xbox 360 in europe have still a crt" is a more proper question

G19

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 04:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(manu_xl @ Jan 11 2009, 04:39 PM) View Post

Of the dozen or so people that I know here in the UK with a 360 only 1 doesn't have access to at least a 720p capable set, with 5 of those 12 having a full 1080p set.

Personally I only have a 32" 720p LCD so BluRay wouldn't be worth the extra expense. When I get a bigger full HD set though I will buy a standalone. I would prefer an addon to the 360 if it was comparable in price/features.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »

i own a wii, a ps3 and a 360. i have a 65 inch tv. browing the web on my tv is just stupid... i got a wireless mouse and keyboard for my ps3 and tried using it, but it doesnt fit the bill. the fact that you cant even set up a netflix que on the 360 should give you an idea of how important a browser on the console is. its a waste of time, use your damn computer.....

rant off  tongue.gif

can some one explain to me what the big deal is about mkv? i have never played one before but the 360 had played things my ps3 spit back at me.  Divx was handing out (for free!!!) free divx pro serials a few months back, 100% legal, and use that to encode my shit, works fine. what is this mkv buisness though? (pardon my ignornace, hehe, i used to be a real nerd i swear!)

G19

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jan 12 2009, 12:22 PM) View Post

can some one explain to me what the big deal is about mkv? i have never played one before but the 360 had played things my ps3 spit back at me.  Divx was handing out (for free!!!) free divx pro serials a few months back, 100% legal, and use that to encode my shit, works fine. what is this mkv buisness though? (pardon my ignornace, hehe, i used to be a real nerd i swear!)

It's just a container like avi/mp4/mov etc, except that it has become pretty much the format of choice for HDTV caps and BD/HD DVD rips. Thus it is a very important format for a lot of people. It also offers advantages over other older container formats, and it would be a great move if we could play them natively, without the need for all the conversion/re-encoding crap.

http://matroska.org/
Pages: 1 2 [3]