xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bach: Blu-ray Isn’t Wanted By Xbox Consumers  (Read 506 times)

Roupus

• Archived User
Bach: Blu-ray Isn’t Wanted By Xbox Consumers
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

I wouldn't want a bluray player for the xbox to play movies. I would want it so games that are too big in size to fit on a dl dvd would fit nicely on a 50 gig bluray disc giving the gamers more content.

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

Blu-ray is nonexistant on my list. With XBMC on Linux, who need Blu-ray. That said, I'll buy when the price drops below $50.

InajaD

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

Well, I'd love to have a stand alone BD but I got tired of waiting for all rumors to become reality so I just got me a BD player. Now a MS stand alone is not on my list at all! Neither is a web browser! A very useless thing anyways.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(steveju @ Jan 8 2009, 04:24 PM) View Post

I consider myself a Xbox 360 gamer and I wanted Blu-Ray so bad, I bought the PS3, because it was the cheapest player at that time.

My point is that sure, you can say that Xbox gamers don't want Blu-Ray anymore, because if they did, they would've purchased a PS3 or a stand-alone Blu-Ray player by now. I bet most people aren't so brand loyal that they wait untill Microsoft decides to come up with an addon to play Blu-Ray movies on it. That ship has sailed and Bach's comment is just a pathetic attempt to justify the absence of a Blu-Ray addon.

I second that.

YLA G

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 03:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Jan 9 2009, 01:45 AM) View Post

So tell them, where are all these people who want to browse the web on their 360's?   You're making assumptions without any facts and your personal opinion doesn't count for the majority.  Both the Wii and the Ps3 have web browsers and the number of people that use them to browse the net is pathetic at best.  

There's an article on new.spong.com about this, search for "PS3 Beats Wii on Internet Use".  The combined total for PS3 and Wii users using their consoles to browse the web is a paltry 0.05%.  There are more people using cells phones to browse the internet then there are game consoles.   In fact all previous attempts at TV based web browsing have proven to be complete failures. Given these real facts it's understandable why Microsoft isn't wasting their time to bring a browser to the the 360, there just isn't enough evidence to show that people would actually use it to make it worthwhile.

Euhm.. to all:

there is a difference between reel surfing (google, facebook, etc) and quickly checking news, weather on your big Full HD tv. So yes, I would like a thumb on the NXE to see the forecast, major nelson's RSS etc.. I am sure everyone would love it..
Indeed it never replaces a browser/pc but looking very fast to some info (also like walktroughs) is realy the future of your TV.

Anyway.. I buyed a Samsung bd-p1500 (there real cheap but good) but if there was an addon on my xbox tell me why I would'nt wanted that to buy??

MOE2FREAKY

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveju @ Jan 9 2009, 10:24 AM) View Post

I consider myself a Xbox 360 gamer and I wanted Blu-Ray so bad, I bought the PS3, because it was the cheapest player at that time.

My point is that sure, you can say that Xbox gamers don't want Blu-Ray anymore, because if they did, they would've purchased a PS3 or a stand-alone Blu-Ray player by now. I bet most people aren't so brand loyal that they wait untill Microsoft decides to come up with an addon to play Blu-Ray movies on it. That ship has sailed and Bach's comment is just a pathetic attempt to justify the absence of a Blu-Ray addon.

Can the 360 handle a blu ray player? HD-DVD (Video/Audio/Subs) max is 30.24 Mbit/s while the max bit rate for Blu-ray is 48 Mbit/s?(Got that from Wiki) All that over a USB cable. I remember reading somewhere an article a while ago that HD-DVD was pushing the 360. I could be wrong. Meh

johnnyrico

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 03:58:00 AM »

I call BS, here's my list:
-improved service for europeans, like a decent video marketplace instead of all that US exclusive discrimination bs, licensing my ass!

-improved codec support for media center extender
-bluray support(fuck that, I'm not buying a PS3 or another device for that, note how it's on place 3?)
-performance improvements to the dashboard
-NTFS support for USB drives
-improved XBL service
-price drop for arcade games and premium themes
-a decent way to use our old themes, get rid of that ugly grey floor and have different backgrounds for the my xbox, game marketplace, video marketplace and spotlight menus!
-RSS feeds on 360
-a browser
-more PC-360 interaction, why are there no games 360 owners can play online against PC users? sure racing games and RPG's shouldn't be a problem?
-more uses for the XBL vision camera
-PC drivers for the 360 wifi dongle!!!!
-chatpad support for the PC

MOE2FREAKY

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(johnnyrico @ Jan 9 2009, 10:34 PM) View Post

I call BS, here's my list:
-improved service for europeans, like a decent video marketplace instead of all that US exclusive discrimination bs, licensing my ass!

-improved codec support for media center extender
-bluray support(fuck that, I'm not buying a PS3 or another device for that, note how it's on place 3?)
-performance improvements to the dashboard
-NTFS support for USB drives
-improved XBL service
-price drop for arcade games and premium themes
-a decent way to use our old themes, get rid of that ugly grey floor and have different backgrounds for the my xbox, game marketplace, video marketplace and spotlight menus!
-RSS feeds on 360
-a browser
-more PC-360 interaction, why are there no games 360 owners can play online against PC users? sure racing games and RPG's shouldn't be a problem?
-more uses for the XBL vision camera
-PC drivers for the 360 wifi dongle!!!!
-chatpad support for the PC

^Agreed. Call me a whinger but I just want the D-Pad fixed. Getting ready for street fighter 4.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »

Blu-ray doesn't interest me much and if it did I'd probably just buy a standalone unit over an external MS addon. You can pick up Blu-ray players for around £100 now and the prices are falling all the time. I doubt Microsoft could compete with that.

Higher on my list of 360 features I want would be a simple web browser for checking mail/news/weather/facebook/youtube etc from my couch. Sure I have a PC for proper browsing and typing etc but the convenience of a simple built in browser very much appeals to me. Other features I'd like to see are better codec support, a D-pad that works properly, the sluggish guide loading problems fixed and more choice to customise the NXE themes.

gfxdreams

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »

I would love to see this list. I'm sure if this list was posted there would be millions of hits and millions of opinions. the list would hit xbox-scene that day.

there would be a blue ray addon probally on the next generation xboxes. Or an Addon that would cost around $100-$150 i bet. these are just my opinions. None are facts I'v read.

It should be exciting to see what happens with the xbox since HD will soon be history.

-gfxdreans

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »

Whilst we can argue the fact of whether Blu-Ray is right for the 360, surely the point here is "who the Hell did they ask?". It was only in the last week that MS were bragging over 1.5 million Xbox Live users were concurrently signed in at any one time over Xmas (myself included), they surely have no excuse for a lack of a demographic market of 360 users? They see it fit to plague XBL and games (for which we pay for) with adverts for other products, yet something as useful as a poll cannot be published? This statement runs parallels for me of the school bully saying to the new kid "we don't want you as our friend", thinking they're speaking on behalf of the class.

I may or may not agree, but don't be putting words into my mouth. If I own a 360 and have an Xbox Live account, you can be sure I'm quite able to speak for myself. Next time you choose to reply on behalf of the 360 populous Mr Bach, be sure to actually ASK us.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »

Last I heard, the HD-DVD add on saw a 2% attach rate and at the time was among the cheapest HD-DVD players as long as you already owned a 360.  The attachment rate for a stand-alone Blu-ray player would be even less.  Any add-on they make will be plagued by limitations.  A good portion of xbox 360s in people's homes do not even have HDMI ports.  It isn't impossible but it is very rare for a display device to be able to display 1080p over component.  I do not think that Dolby TrueHD or DTS-Master would even be possible.  There is just too many potential issues that would condemn the idea from the beginning.  It would just never be as good as a stand-alone player could be.  

I am not sure how anyone could know already if they would even want it or not.  Who knows what would be possible or the best case scenario specs would be.

If you really want a blu-ray player, just go buy the samsung one someone stated earlier, it's a fantastic player and imo you can never go wrong with samsung.

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »

Bluray is dropping in price. No need for an add-on, they'd be hard to compete against standalones.

I figure the next xbox would have bluray built in though, as they'll need the extra storage capacity.

TMownsu

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »

Ins't this the same people that told us we don't want HDMI? They should stop worring about what we want, & keep delivering like they have been.

ubiman

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(TMownsu @ Jan 9 2009, 08:35 PM) View Post

Ins't this the same people that told us we don't want HDMI? They should stop worring about what we want, & keep delivering like they have been.

More like "Stop thinking and assuming what we want and actually listening and asking what we want."
Pages: 1 [2] 3