xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Netflix Confirms Columbia Pictures Movies are Pulled from NXE  (Read 103 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Netflix Confirms Columbia Pictures Movies are Pulled from NXE
« on: November 19, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | November 19 13:25 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamasutra.com:

All Columbia Pictures movies have been pulled from the Xbox Live version of Netflix, following the launch of the New Xbox Experience dashboard update.
Columbia Pictures is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Entertainment, but the move does not appear to be malicious on the part of Sony executives -- all movies distributed by Sony Pictures still remain accessible through the service.

"A few hundred titles are temporarily unavailable to be streamed via the Xbox game console," Netflix corporate communications VP Dave Swasey told consumer website MTV Multiplayer.
"Those titles are still available to be watched on subscribers' computers and on TVs via other partner devices, and we hope they'll be licensed for Xbox 360 shortly."

Full Story: gamasutra.com

Rick_S

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »

I thought that move would seem a bit childish on Sony's part and would have created more of a backlash against them than they would save.  Hopefully it won't be long before they get approval and the entire streamable library of films will be available.

I thought that move would seem a bit childish on Sony's part and would have created more of a backlash against them than they would save.  Hopefully it won't be long before they get approval and the entire streamable library of films will be available.

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »

Clearly guessing, but I think Sony would rather move HD product via Blu Ray than give the Xbox a helping hand in the home media department.

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »

Movies are movies... all its doing is giving sony a more of a bad name.. acting childish..
i would rather see news like Sony is going to keep it like the way it is.. i would be more to say
"way to go sony good job" but rather im saying now " sony stop acting like my kids"

it dont matter Netflix is too big now of a company... sooner or later there library will get bigger and bigger.
and my view on sony will stay the same. its not like sony is going to have its own movie library that will out do NetFlix.

Good Job once again sony. I am not going to loose sleep over it.

This post has been edited by 1nsan3: Nov 19 2008, 10:43 PM

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »

i'll say it again, i doubt sony did this to limit the xbox. more than likely licenses were in place long ago before the xbox was even in the picture and the content is simply not licensed for use on the xbox. ya dig? i'm sure the paramount license will be renwed and the sony license will be updated ASAP. it's in everyone's best interests.

logicbomb.de

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Nov 19 2008, 07:13 PM) *

i'll say it again, i doubt sony did this to limit the xbox. more than likely licenses were in place long ago before the xbox was even in the picture and the content is simply not licensed for use on the xbox. ya dig? i'm sure the paramount license will be renwed and the sony license will be updated ASAP. it's in everyone's best interests.

You're most likely right about the licensing thing, but keep in mind that multiple reports have confirmed that Sony titles were streaming just fine over the Netflix on the 360 (NXE preview) up until a few days ago and just now stopped working on the eve of the NXE deployment.

The timing of this sound extremely suspicious.

But yeah, I'm sure the licensing will be iron out sooner or later.

This post has been edited by logicbomb.de: Nov 20 2008, 01:19 AM

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(logicbomb.de @ Nov 19 2008, 04:55 PM) *

You're most likely right about the licensing thing, but keep in mind that multiple reports have confirmed that Sony titles were streaming just fine over the Netflix on the 360 (NXE preview) up until a few days ago and just now stopped working on the eve of the NXE deployment.

you're right. i was in the preview and i was streaming sony titles fine up until last night. however, reasons for this could be the following:
1) netflix didn't know microsoft was going to do a preview program (thus they didn't do it till last night)
2) netflix took longer than expected to enact the licensing policies
3) sony did in fact make a 'last minute' call to netflix and tell them to stop distro of their movies. but, to counter this, it takes development time to enact such a limitation on the service so this has to have been something netflix was working on for at least a week.

however it's good fanboy fuel and if sony was planning on holding out, now they're under fire and are going to be pressured to really do something.

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »

grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif

I was watching Bad Boys yesterday, and now I can't finished it.

falconbal1

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(troyBORG @ Nov 20 2008, 08:55 AM) *

grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif

I was watching Bad Boys yesterday, and now I can't finished it.

will smith dies in the end.. sorry

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(logicbomb.de @ Nov 20 2008, 01:55 AM) *

We knew about Netflix being on the 360 for how long?  Netflix probably knew about it for longer.  If it is true and Sony requires a new license for every single device that is capable of playing one of their movies, they had plenty of time to hammer out an agreement for the new licensing.  All of the other movie companies were able to.  And if it is true that Sony needs a separate license for each and every device than why are they saying it expired?

It seems there is more going on here than what we have been told.  I don't know if it's a conspiracy from Sony or just something that just kinda happened but we aren't being told everything.