xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies?  (Read 380 times)

spinr34

• Archived User
NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »

for anyone asking why this is wasn't disclosed earlier is because, it didn't exist earlier. i got into NXE early and one of the first things i did was setup netflix. last night i was watching Booty Call which is a Sony Pictures movie. However, logging into netflix tonight it now says "not available on xbox" so this is definitely new news. but why now you might ask. i have a couple of reasons.

1) the content was never licensed to xbox users to begin with. the agreement between sony and netflix may not have included any future supported devices. the xbox would be a future device since netflix streaming was just recently announced.

2) nxe launches tomorrow so, netflix being the good licensing agreement partners they are, enforce the licenses. netflix may not have told microsoft about it or maybe netflix didn't even know. some sony exec might've been upset and had some lawyer go through the agreement and call netflix at the last minute and demand that their content not be available on the xbox.

at the end of the day, we can speculate all we want. it is mighty strange that this happens the night before NXE launches and considering last night i was streaming sony movies without a problem. however, i doubt it's a move by sony that was explicitly done to limit the advantage of the xbox/netflix service. it just so happens that sony owns a lot of movies, that they are a huge competitor of microsoft right now, and for whatever reason netflix doesn't have the rights to stream a sony movie to an xbox user (as of tonight). also, paramount movies seem to only be available till dec 1st, 2008. i'm guessing streaming deals need to be re-negotiated with paramount too and microsoft has a generally good relation with paramount. so back to my point that i don't think sony is shafting ms.

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(dedzombie @ Nov 19 2008, 06:28 AM) View Post

If you read the article again, there has been an update, there was a licensing issue and those films WILL be coming to the 360, some of you feel pretty salty huh.. rolleyes.gif

Absolutely not.  I'd bet that Sony (or MS for you people who think way to deep into things) decided to do this, saw the backlash and pulled their decision.  We've seen it before.  This time they had an excuse, a bad one.  If it was a licensing issue than all Sony movies would be removed from the entirety of Netflix.  I doubt that there is another set of licensing that they have to pay just to stream to another device.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(mc_365 @ Nov 18 2008, 09:25 PM) View Post
If anything theyre not screwing the xbox owner, theyre screwing netflix.
Really? Because the convo problem went like this: "Screw 'em all!"

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Nov 19 2008, 03:19 PM) View Post

Really? Because the convo problem went like this: "Screw 'em all!"

I meant that to mean most xbox360 owners are gamers first anything else is just additional value that they have been or are willing to do without.

The precentage of 360 owners whos overwhelming reason for buying the console was to stream netflix to their television is miniscule.  Conversly the number of xbox owners that may potentialy sign up for netflix given the new capability, numbers in the millions as any xbox owner whom dosen't have a netflix account is potentialy a new customer.

In the end the Consumer Gets Screwed, if there becomes a new way to consume the same product they want to charge you another fee.

Like cable, you pay for the service, now they want you to pay for each TV you recieve cable signals into, then they want you to pay extra for each HD Box, then pay additional for the premium channels, then PPV.
If I paid for you to send it down the wire I should be allowed to then do what I please with the signal once it enters my house, and I should be allow to purchase a cable box of my own choice for a reasonable price...end of rant.

You get where I'm coming from, I hate being nicked and dimed.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Nov 19 2008, 02:39 AM) View Post

What they want you to think:

Sony stopped netflix from showing the movie and hate Sony.

The true story:

MS stopped Sony movies from showing on Netflix so people think Sony did it, so people get mad at sony.

Considering that the full details about this were recently disclosed you must feel like a complete fool and and even larger idiot for making up this convenient conspiracy theory and claiming it to be the truth.  So much for your credibility. Next time you claim something to be the truth, find a way to back it up, otherwise don't bother.   Idiot.   jester.gif

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »

Is there a way to see what can be watched instantly without subscribing to Netflix? I can only find a page with a few movies.

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(HardwareTaco @ Nov 19 2008, 10:36 AM) View Post

Its not different.

yes it is, M$ makes a percentage on every Sony PC sold with windows on it...
Sony does not make an alternative OS of there onw..
 Conversely.. Sony CAN offer their own movies via their OWN console, why shoudl they even want to allow M$ to also offer THEIR movies...

What you are saying is akin to M$ making games for Ps3...would that be a smart move??

HardwareTaco

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Nov 20 2008, 03:05 AM) View Post

yes it is, M$ makes a percentage on every Sony PC sold with windows on it...
Sony does not make an alternative OS of there onw..
 Conversely.. Sony CAN offer their own movies via their OWN console, why shoudl they even want to allow M$ to also offer THEIR movies...

What you are saying is akin to M$ making games for Ps3...would that be a smart move??

Look man, If I buy a sony movie, its only sony's intellectual property... other wise its my property... I can play it on any DVD player, or device that plays DVDs. Yes, I know there are certain rules that govern who I can play the DVD for, but for the most part, its MINE.

My beef with that statement is that it really is NO DIFFERENT. honestly, its completely silly to differentiate the SAME media as if it were something else.

Until they start stamping DVDs with stickers that say "Only licensed for use in Sony DVD players" I'll disagree with you.

lucas

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »

it's really sad to see the number of people who think it's ok to just bend over and accept this shit. sony havent take rights away from netflix or microsoft; they've taken away the rights of YOU the consumer.

personally I believe the correct response is to tell sony f-you and fire up the bittorrent clients. if they dont want to make it easy to be legal they can go and get stuffed

spurs2k5

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(lucas @ Nov 21 2008, 06:07 AM) View Post

personally I believe the correct response is to tell sony f-you and fire up the bittorrent clients. if they dont want to make it easy to be legal they can go and get stuffed

yeah right like no one does that now  dry.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3]