xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies?  (Read 381 times)

kingatrock

• Archived User
NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

Glad to see Sony showing their hand taking an action like this. Shows that M$ is truly a major competitor, otherwise they wouldn't give a shit. That's a pretty big deal since way back when I hated xbox1. Grats 360!

xcalixxryderx

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »

not a big difference to me I already stream netflix to my xbox. Sure for the time being I wont beable to enjoy any sony films in HD but for now If I really wanna watch a sony movie I just fire up media center instead of doing it directly through the dash.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Nov 18 2008, 06:39 PM) View Post

What they want you to think:

Sony stopped netflix from showing the movie and hate Sony.

The true story:

MS stopped Sony movies from showing on Netflix so people think Sony did it, so people get mad at sony.

My thoughts exactly.  What an easy opportunity for Microsoft to look like a victim.

I am guessing its likely more of a mix of the 2.  Sony probably wanted additional royalties from Netflix.  Netflix approached MS and said we cant swing the same deal for Sony owned movies, so MS says fine, f** 'em.  MS puts out a crippled service and Sony takes the blame.  Score MS.

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »

yup, i finally received the nxe preview last night via majornelson and i immediately watched a chech&chong movie. well, when i wanted to show a scene from that movie to my wife tonight, it is just not there to see. i also started watching superbad last night and can no longer view it on my 360 either. kind of sucks, but it kind of makes me want to sell my ps3 too.

that is probably not the result they would want from me as a gamer who owns as many consoles as i do, but that is probably the reason it feels like the thing to do too!

HardwareTaco

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »

I don't understand the licensing about it... Technically the xbox 360 is a specialized PC with proprietary software.

Imagine if i were to take a shit standing up. That's what this is all about... I know Its more convenient to take a shit sitting down... But Sony owns the rights to the toilet paper and if I want to wipe my ass, I have to shit standing up!

It doesn't change the fact that shit is shit...

Fuck you Sony... Fuck you M$... and Fuck you NetFlix...

iLLNESS

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »

this is such a stupid move by sony..

it SCREEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMMSSSSSSSSS sony is worried.... i dont think anything more childish could have been done..

and for the people who say m$ would do the same thing? ahhaa bullshit... m$ has likely been providing an operating system to sony for years.. maybe not now, but im sure they have since theyve been a direct competitor...

so.. m$ can retalliate by pulling all windows liscences.. and VC1 from bluray.. uh oh thats pretty much the best thing that happened to bluray....

why didnt m$ do these things in the past? because its not in their best interest.. just like this isnt in sonys best interest... if anything this will just hurt sony more then it helps.. i guarantee bluray sales will not go up because of this...

some of you are right. in the end it really just hurts the consumer (sonys good at that it seems lately)...

i for one can honestly say i will not support sony and their childish antics anymore.. bye bye bluray sales.. bye bye ps3 games (dont own many games.. been waiting.. but not anymore..  as for bluray ive proly bought 25 or so now.. as well thats retired..)

i cant believe they did this...  sony appearantly consists of a bunch of 8 year olds it seems

Jstraw

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »

dry.gif just like the HD DVD war and Blue Ray.  This is how empires are brought down in a free market.  There goes Microsoft's plan to dominate the world.  Hello Sony! pop.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Nov 18 2008, 08:15 PM) View Post

Please, you seriously think M$ would allow sony to stream THEIR Movies if they had any???

if ms was making a profit, probably. by your logic, sony vaio laptops would only run linux out of the box

ntriusbil

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »

A dick move is a dick move.

True, we aren't entitled to anyone's movies.

True, but doubtful based on track record, MS MAY have done the same thing.

True, it is a business move.

It's still a dick move.

Sony is a unique combination of arrogant, childish, and insane. This is just another example.

HardwareTaco

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(ntriusbil @ Nov 19 2008, 08:14 AM) View Post

True, we aren't entitled to anyone's movies.

Uh, if you pay for Netflix, Id say you're entitled to their movies.

Cywolve

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Nov 19 2008, 02:15 AM) View Post

Please, you seriously think M$ would allow sony to stream THEIR Movies if they had any???

Would Nintendo allow M$ to offer Nintendo games???...Would M$ allow Sony to offer a xbox 1 emu and games??...

Microsoft allows Sony to install windows on there computers...

Cywolve

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 01:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(spurs2k5 @ Nov 19 2008, 09:12 AM) View Post

Ok for all of yall who keep saying this is "childish". Plz stop. Any smart person running a company as big as one of these would do the same thing in this situation. $$$ talks. DEAL WITH IT! This situation is different then sony selling comps with windows on em.  Sony sells a good share of comps and M$ knows it. Again $$$$$.  Sony is getting killed right now by the 360 and the Wii. These are desperate times for em.  Any way to maybe gain some kinda edge or remove some thunder from competition.  So to compare Sony or any other company using windows, ITS NOT THE SAME THING. Might be in theory, but not what it is with the PS3, 360, or Wii.

Then with saying that.... Sony better lock up there DVD's and Blu-Rays and only allow them to play on there players...

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »

There would be something inherently unfair and pathetic about this if it simply boils down to a Sony PS3 vs Microsoft 360 rivalry.  What would happen if Microsoft decided that no Sony VAIO computers can run Windows?  I'm sure Sony would be sueing before the day was done.  Maybe Sony should reconsider their tactics.

spurs2k5

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cywolve @ Nov 19 2008, 09:50 AM) View Post

Then with saying that.... Sony better lock up there DVD's and Blu-Rays and only allow them to play on there players...

Completely different. What most of yall fail to realize is that while M$ and Sony battle for console dominance, that has nothing to do with business as usual with other products. If yall really think that M$ would stop licensing windows to Sony comps, well then you really need to understand the structure of big companies. Like i said.....$$$$$$ PERIOD. Just cause M$ is having a hiccup with the netflix issue, it would be crazy of them to lose $$$ by cutting off Sony completely.   Yall gotta get out of yalls head that M$ is taking this personal. End of the day, there's a good chance that this wont even be an issue anymore with netflix.

HardwareTaco

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 02:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(spurs2k5 @ Nov 19 2008, 10:23 AM) View Post

Completely different. What most of yall fail to realize is that while M$ and Sony battle for console dominance, that has nothing to do with business as usual with other products. If yall really think that M$ would stop licensing windows to Sony comps, well then you really need to understand the structure of big companies. Like i said.....$$$$$$ PERIOD. Just cause M$ is having a hiccup with the netflix issue, it would be crazy of them to lose $$$ by cutting off Sony completely.   Yall gotta get out of yalls head that M$ is taking this personal. End of the day, there's a good chance that this wont even be an issue anymore with netflix.

Its not different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3