xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies?  (Read 382 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies?
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 18 18:41 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From joystiq.com:

Our Netflix streaming queues just got considerably shorter on the eve of the NXE launch. Acting on a tip, we popped into our Netflix account and sure enough, our "Instant Queue" had a new "Notes" column with an oft-repeated, red notice: "Not available on Xbox." Logging onto Xbox Live (with an NXE account) confirmed that these titles were no longer available for streaming on Xbox 360.

We've found a common thread! All of the affected titles from our Queue are distributed by Columbia Pictures. Columbia Pictures, of course, is owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, a subsidiary of Microsoft rival Sony. Case closed?

Full Story: joystiq.com

Sircolby45

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »

Wow...All this tells me is that Sony is so severely afraid of Xbox that they are willing to make blatantly childish moves like this. It would be nice if Netflix would tell them streaming on the Xbox or no streaming at all.

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sircolby45 @ Nov 19 2008, 02:11 AM) View Post

Wow...All this tells me is that Sony is so severely afraid of Xbox that they are willing to make blatantly childish moves like this. It would be nice if Netflix would tell them streaming on the Xbox or no streaming at all.

Please, you seriously think M$ would allow sony to stream THEIR Movies if they had any???

Would Nintendo allow M$ to offer Nintendo games???...Would M$ allow Sony to offer a xbox 1 emu and games??...

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »

dont worry Colombia Pictures, you'll be streaming on PS3's in about a year.

wonder what XBOX 360 will be onto by then smile.gif

QUOTE(medievil @ Nov 19 2008, 01:15 AM) View Post

Please, you seriously think M$ would allow sony to stream THEIR Movies if they had any???

Would Nintendo allow M$ to offer Nintendo games???...Would M$ allow Sony to offer a xbox 1 emu and games??...

well, i've seen MGM & Tristar movies on the Video Marketplace.

Microsoft has Office for Mac.

iPod support on XBOX 360

i dont see what the problem is if you stand to make money off of it & it doesnt hurt your existing product.
if the PS3 had a Netflix streaming feature, then that would be another story.

leo5150

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »

the guy who wrote the article rode the short bus to school i highly suspected that any movies from a sony owned studio wouldnt come to 360 that move didnt surpise me at ALL and in sonys defense like someone else said MS would do same thing childish crap that loses them money   pop.gif

lukeyboi88

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Nov 19 2008, 03:15 AM) View Post

thats because M$ owns 20% of apple

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »

Don't forget Sony IS offering movies on their market place..so allowing Netflix to stream THEIR movies on 360 is directly competing with themselves...

swaneejuggalo

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »

That's just a no brainer business strategy.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »

This is a case where competition between corporations hurts the consumer.  No one should be happy about this or backing anyone.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

It's childish and Sony Figures the backlash is limited so why not hold back so when they finaly get to streaming, they can say "We have more Content Then Xbox"

If anything theyre not screwing the xbox owner, theyre screwing netflix.

If I was the Pres. / CEO / Head hancho at netflix, I'd be making a note to self; If my company becomes the iTunes of streaming movies, screw Sony Studios on royalties like apple does all the music companies.

I mean it's like if MS or 1 of it's partner companies owend a movie theater and Sony Refused to sell them any releases.

In the end they are srewing the people who may want to consume their product (Film), Netflix whom 1 day could be a key distribution outlet, and lastly the one they want to screw MS who doesn't realy care cause it probably cost them next to nothing to offer.  Hopefully one day they will find themselves screwed.

Wow sounds like the stock market.

This post has been edited by mc_365: Nov 19 2008, 02:52 AM

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

Im not happy with this since I just re-enlisted to netflix for the cheapest unlimited package just to give this a try with NXE tomorrow, already watched one streamed movie, seemed decent enough quality.

This post has been edited by ILLusions0fGrander: Nov 19 2008, 02:51 AM

The Dude Z

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »

uhh.gif
QUOTE(medievil @ Nov 18 2008, 08:15 PM) *

That is one of the dumbest statements i have ever had to read!

There is a MAJOR difference between games and movies!
Microsoft does not make movies thus they don't compete with Sony in the Film making industry.
So absolutely M$ would let you stream a Sony/Columbia made film because that is the advantage they were after with Netflix.

There is absolutely no question but that this was a move by Sony/Columbia to squash that advantage.
Sadly it may be very hard for Netflix and M$ to do anything about it because if they were to tell Sony/Columbia that either we allow it to be streamed or we don't deal with your videos at all then Sony/Columbia would prolly respond with a go ahead and drop us and see how quick the customer base at Netflix vanishes!

Looks like the NXE just got that much gayer!

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(mc_365 @ Nov 19 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

It's childish and Sony Figures the backlash is limited so why not hold back so when they finaly get to streaming, they can say "We have more Content Then Xbox"

If anything theyre not screwing the xbox owner, theyre screwing netflix.

If I was the Pres. / CEO / Head hancho at netflix, I'd be making a note to self; If my company becomes the iTunes of streaming movies, screw Sony Studios on royalties like apple does all the music companies.

I mean it's like if MS or 1 of it's partner companies owend a movie theater and Sony Refused to sell them any releases.

In the end they are srewing the people who may want to consume their product (Film), Netflix whom 1 day could be a key distribution outlet, and lastly the one they want to screw MS who doesn't realy care cause it probably cost them next to nothing to offer.  Hopefully one day they will find themselves screwed.
Wow sounds like the stock market.

ummm... huh?? not screwing Netflix in the least... Netflix can still stream Sony movies, to PC and other users..just not to 360 users...netflix isn't losing out since if you want to stream ANYTHING you have to sub to them...

Seems you guys have some weird sense of entitlement.. It is Sony's property, makes perfect business sense to not let M$ have access since they are direct competitors..Making it out to be anything else is what I would call childish

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

What they want you to think:

Sony stopped netflix from showing the movie and hate Sony.

The true story:

MS stopped Sony movies from showing on Netflix so people think Sony did it, so people get mad at sony.

Mike4

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »

As a Blockbuster customer, I was strongly toying with the idea of switching to Netflix because of the streaming coming to the Xbox (to be specific, I was very excited to hear about the HD streaming).  The only reason I had joined Blockbuster originally was because I could also go to a physical store to exchange movies, so I thought they had an advantage.  I never really go to the store anymore, so with the NXE coming, I can't see any reason not to switch.

This news is not a deal-breaker for me, but I don't understand why we weren't told about it earlier.  Were they afraid it might be a deal-breaker for others, so they kept their mouths shut until they got all their new subscribers?  If so, that's pretty slimy.

QUOTE(leo5150 @ Nov 18 2008, 08:26 PM) View Post

the guy who wrote the article rode the short bus to school i highly suspected that any movies from a sony owned studio wouldnt come to 360 that move didnt surpise me at ALL and in sonys defense like someone else said MS would do same thing childish crap that loses them money   pop.gif
blink.gif I hate to sound like a grammar nazi, but without any punctuation or capitalization in your statement, it appears you know who rode the short bus because you were a fellow passenger.  wink.gif

QUOTE(mc_365 @ Nov 18 2008, 09:25 PM) View Post

...If anything theyre not screwing the xbox owner, theyre screwing netflix...

...In the end they are srewing the people...
Haha... what?  You're all over the place.

It's ok.  I feel your pain.  cool.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3