xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shane Kim at E3: 'No Interest' in Adding Blu-ray to 360  (Read 305 times)

g8crapachino

• Archived User
Shane Kim at E3: 'No Interest' in Adding Blu-ray to 360
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(kowrip @ Jul 16 2008, 06:07 PM) *

Achievements ?  Are you serious ?  That seems like a pretty silly reason to stay with the Xbox 360.  I can see doing it because of the game selection or XBL or whatever, but not something as silly as achievements.  Who the heck cares how many gamer points you accumulate ???

Some people play a game to win, others play for high scores, others play for acheivements or bragging rights.   Whatever is important to one person is just as legitimate another another.  Who the heck do you think you are to berate another person over whats important for him?    (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)  

Ultimately when you turn off the console and walk away does any of it actually matter?  

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:16 AM) View Post

...if there selling you a h264 encoded wmv then guess what it will look the same as a blueray...

WMV is an implementation of VC-1, not h.264.

Also, the 360 can only play back surround sound audio with VC-1 video, not with h.264 video (yet).

RX3

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

Time to get a PS3...seriously. And I hate Sony.

phrozenfeonix

• Recovered User
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

To the one guy talking about only getting 11gb free on his hdd; I seem to recall something about the 360 hdd holding the backwards compatibility stuff for the xbox games, ie: C, E, X, Y, Z drives. Not sure if this is still valid information or not, but stock xbox hdds were 8gb, and 8gb + your 11gb free space = 19gb, or roughly the actual size of a 20gb hdd.

Just a bit of background info for those who are wondering.

djtonic

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jul 16 2008, 04:16 PM) View Post

what are you talking abought cannot compeat the sold movies use the same codec as blueray. if there selling you a h264 encoded wmv then guess what it will look the same as a blueray. tv qualty depending of course gold can look like crap on a crap display. h264 even highly compressed will not lose any qualty if any. the entire hd this and hd that and dvds are just to small for moves where all sales pitches to make you buy a ps3/blueray player or hd-dvd player. sad thing it works.

First of all....woah!  I thought maybe it was just a bad translation from another language, then I saw where you are from ohmy.gif

Second, there is a big difference between quality of downloaded vids in marketplace and Bluray, which brings full 1080p with no compression and no download wait!

3rd...are you really saying that bluray and Hddvd don't bring any improvement over standard dvd's?  Really?  Really?  I bought a PS3 because of bluray...MS could have benefited from my dollars with a device of their own.

So, don't buy that quad core processor, its just a marketing sales pitch, it's the same as a single core chip.  Come on!

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »

With the surprises seen on the MS side of things at E3 thus far this year, I wouldn't put a BD drive in the "fairytale" pile quite yet (though I'm not saying they're currently planning it). At this present moment in time, I'm a big fan of what Blu-ray is capable of. I'm willing to bet that many of the problems we had with DVD technology will not be present in early Blu-ray activity, as Blu-ray was more thoroughly developed and planned. As we've seen with the 2 profile updates, Blu-ray has proved to be updatable without loosing playback due to early hardware adoption (while newer profile features won't play on older profiles, the actual movie itself will play, regardless).

I believe in 2015 we're predicted to have our content toting "4320p" tags, which means HD movies will potentially grow 8 times (or more) in size (not to mention bandwidth). It's possible that Blu-ray will no longer be a viable format at this point (possibly fluorescent discs, or protein-covered holographic discs,), though I don't know enough information to really qualify that. In the meantime, however, we've got 1080p, and BD more than does the job. I expect that if 2160p content surfaces in the coming years, Blu-ray should still be adequate.

Let's also not forget how much more the 360 offers over the original Xbox. While I'm sure the 360 will still receive support even in 2015, I'm also sure that Microsoft will have a new console available before then. They will most surely incorporate Blu-ray in that. As of today, they seem focused on digital downloads (most of which expire), but that certainly isn't stopping millions of people from purchasing higher-quality films on Blu-ray, and I'm sure they are aware there's at minimum a reasonable demand for Blu-ray among Xbox 360 owners. Perhaps when MS can effectively build a BD drive that they could sell for ~ $100, they will...perhaps...

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Jul 16 2008, 09:02 PM) View Post

Some people play a game to win, others play for high scores, others play for acheivements or bragging rights.   Whatever is important to one person is just as legitimate another another.  Who the heck do you think you are to berate another person over whats important for him?    mad.gif  

Ultimately when you turn off the console and walk away does any of it actually matter?

You're right.  It doesn't matter.  I'm not bashing achievements, but for that to be the ONLY factor preventing somebody from moving to another console seems pretty idiotic to me.  That's exactly what the person was saying in his post.

RX3

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(kowrip @ Jul 17 2008, 10:23 AM) View Post

You're right.  It doesn't matter.  I'm not bashing achievements, but for that to be the ONLY factor preventing somebody from moving to another console seems pretty idiotic to me.  That's exactly what the person was saying in his post.

Seriously. You are the only one sounding like an idiot. To each his own man.

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jul 17 2008, 06:04 PM) View Post

With the surprises seen on the MS side of things at E3 thus far this year, I wouldn't put a BD drive in the "fairytale" pile quite yet (though I'm not saying they're currently planning it). At this present moment in time, I'm a big fan of what Blu-ray is capable of. I'm willing to bet that many of the problems we had with DVD technology will not be present in early Blu-ray activity, as Blu-ray was more thoroughly developed and planned. As we've seen with the 2 profile updates, Blu-ray has proved to be updatable without loosing playback due to early hardware adoption (while newer profile features won't play on older profiles, the actual movie itself will play, regardless).

I believe in 2015 we're predicted to have our content toting "4320p" tags, which means HD movies will potentially grow 8 times (or more) in size (not to mention bandwidth). It's possible that Blu-ray will no longer be a viable format at this point (possibly fluorescent discs, or protein-covered holographic discs,), though I don't know enough information to really qualify that. In the meantime, however, we've got 1080p, and BD more than does the job. I expect that if 2160p content surfaces in the coming years, Blu-ray should still be adequate.

Let's also not forget how much more the 360 offers over the original Xbox. While I'm sure the 360 will still receive support even in 2015, I'm also sure that Microsoft will have a new console available before then. They will most surely incorporate Blu-ray in that. As of today, they seem focused on digital downloads (most of which expire), but that certainly isn't stopping millions of people from purchasing higher-quality films on Blu-ray, and I'm sure they are aware there's at minimum a reasonable demand for Blu-ray among Xbox 360 owners. Perhaps when MS can effectively build a BD drive that they could sell for ~ $100, they will...perhaps...

2160p wont be around till at least 2015, and thats only if the market gives huge support to current 1080p sets, which many people still dont have. 4320p is a long long way away. have you seen how much a 2160p TV costs? This article is over a year old, but the price tag wouldnt of dropped too much, $50,000 for a 2160p TV is a bit too high for my liking.

also, stop the flaming in the thread

vicious6969

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 04:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(kowrip @ Jul 17 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Screw you dude.

I was the one who said that, it does sound like you're bashing acheivements to me.

It's my choice, I happen to like acheivements, dunno why but I just do.  Just because you aren't into them as much as me is no reason to call me an idiot.

It gives me something extra to play for and makes me more likely to get value for money out of games which I otherwise wouldn't spend as much time playing.

Like a bit of an extra incentive to do something in a game or some extra thing to complete, over and above just finishing the game.  I happen to like this feature and whilst they currently don't do anything like that in the PS3, I don't think I'd play it as much.

What's idiotic about that??

You don't like acheivements, I do, FINE, I can handle that, vive le difference!  there's no need to be an @$$hole about it though.

Pages: 1 [2]