xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Install Ed's Debian 0.3.1 And Kde 3.1  (Read 1711 times)

LESTAT

• Archived User
Install Ed's Debian 0.3.1 And Kde 3.1
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 05:47:00 AM »

i still cant get it installed.

i extract boot_fatx_e.iso  to E/Linux
i burn boot_hdd.iso

no matter is if i boot to cd or directly from the E/Linux/default.xbe  i get
"Kernel Panic"  errors
booting from the cd it says
please append "root="
kernel panic: UFS unable to mounts root FS blah blah
booting from e/linux/ i get Kernel Panic unable to something something init/

both neither load anything or do anything...

ok so uhm   whats wrong.

the 1.1.0 tar file is only 250+ megs ...  so what are you suppose to burn and what goes on the xbox.

the LiveFS file is 258 megs   no one has said anything about what to do with that file..  do i put it into my E drive or burn it to cdrom ?

basically no matter what i do nothing works....

i know im a *nix retard  but its because of reasons like this that i avoid linux

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 11:02:00 AM »

the iso needs to be burned to cd.

try booting cromwell beforehand, that did the trick with me. i can get it to fully boot now, just can't get it to install lol.

pimp

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »

what is the need to have this on the hard drive? i just burned the iso (1.1.0) onto a CD-RW, and i get a main screen where i can launch apps, and utils and such. but its kinda laggy. would having debian on the hard drive stop the lag? or what is the point besides not putting th cd in the drive.

p.s. i have a stock hard drive.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 09:51:00 AM »

i was in the same situation as you.

i originally intended to boot it as a live distro, but it is laggy as you said and its disadvantage is that the disc cannot be taken out, the drive doesn't even open.

installing it to the hard drive will increase boot up time, reduce lag, and allow you to run stuff off cds.

pimp

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »

smile.gif

[::EDIT::]Oh yah, one more quick question since i am already in this forum. if i were to put a copy of linux (Dynebolic) on a DVD+RW insted of a CD-RW would it run quicker? because it seems to run extremly slow on a CD-RW.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif

never used dynebolic as my xbox is too new for it, in theory though dvd should be faster.

pimp

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »

laugh.gif

ill post the turn out in here.

pimp

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »

sad.gif

chadkeck

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 11:02:00 AM »

I just wrote a new tutorial for installing Xebian 1.1.0.  It's just the basics and how to configure evox to boot it afterwards.  So check it out and give me some feedback.

chadkeck

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2005, 06:52:00 PM »

Glad to help philbee.  The easiest way for you to upgrade would be to download the new version and install it since its a new kernel.  

You can use linux for EVERYTHING.  A few people use it as a counter-strike server, web server, ftp server.  Or a MythTV frontend.  Word processing.  Instant messageing.  All kinds of stuff.

As far as installing stuff open up a terminal and switch to root using "su -".  Then type "apt-get update" then "apt-get install (program name)" and you will be on your way.

philbee

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »

i was thinking of deleting the xebian install from the e drive and installing new ver via cd, would this work? only have 56k where i live so i thing the auto update would take too long but a friend of mine can download the entire new ver for me, what do ya think?

javacocoon

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 07:48:00 AM »

Hi -
   I have following instructions mentioned on the chadkeck document. Its very well written.. thx..

But, when I boot the box with dvd(iso burned onto dvd) in, the screen is stuck at something like 'Licensed under GPL' and doesnt proceed further... Alternatively, I ran the dvd as 'Game' under xbox media center. This time it ran perfectly and I installed the xebian as 'Game on E partition' (option 1) from ssh.

I created the link to e:\debian\default.xbe in evox.ini.. but when I run this entry from evox without  the dvd in tray... its again stuck at 'Licensed under GPL'  doesnt proceed further.. note how this stage where its stuck is same as when I tried to boot the dvd directly..

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

plipo

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2005, 02:38:00 AM »

hello,

i have a Question.

Fist,if i boot from the cd he dont asl for login and pass.

second if i go to shell bash and than type in XBOXLinuxInstall then he say's command not found

i'm a big linux noob but i want to learn it.

tnx

Neisius

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2005, 02:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(javacocoon @ Feb 16 2005, 06:54 AM)
   But, when I boot the box with dvd(iso burned onto dvd) in, the screen is stuck at something like 'Licensed under GPL' and doesnt proceed further... Alternatively, I ran the dvd as 'Game' under xbox media center. This time it ran perfectly and I installed the xebian as 'Game on E partition' (option 1) from ssh.

gainpresence

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2003, 10:49:00 PM »

What you need:
1. Modded Xbox
2. Some media readable by your Xbox
3. EvolutionX installed with access via FTP from your computer
4. USB Keyboard and mouse with a connection to your Xbox (Note that Debian can emulate the Xbox Controller as a mouse and there is an onscreen keyboard in the Debian GUI, but you’ll need at least a keyboard if you want KDE)

Get “Ed’s Debian 0.3.1” (found at http://xbox-linux.sf.net under “downloads”). The filename is “dist-0.3.1.tar.bz2”. Open this file with “Winrar” (http://www.rarsoft.com), and extract to a folder called C:\Debian (or anything you’ll remember).

Go to C:\Debian and Extract “Boot_fatx_vesa.iso” (with Winrar) to C:\Linux, open "linuxboot.cfg" in wordpad, replace 800x600 (in the last line) with 640x480*. NOTE: you only want to extract this ISO file, not any archives within it.

* Apparently it doesn’t matter what you do with this line, as long as it’s not “800x600”, delete the line if you want to.

Move the C:\Linux directory (on your PC) over to your Xbox (with Evox installed), I moved it over to F:\Linux. Make a Link in Evox.ini to F:\Linux\default.xbe.

Burn 0.3.1.iso (from C:\Debian) to any media your Xbox can read (I used a DVD+RW), once the burn finishes, boot it up in your Xbox (if it won’t boot, flash your BIOS to either X2 4976.02 or Evox D.6, If you get a dirty disc error, refer to HSDEMONZ Ultimate Xbox Burning Tutorial).
NOTE: Do NOT make this ISO file into a GDF image or xISO image, burn it AS IT IS!

Once it boots up, you’ll have a login screen (GUI), type in “root” for the username, and “xbox” for the password. It’ll log in to what looks like Windows 3.1 (this is the Debian GUI, not much to look at).

Right-click on the desktop (or press “B” on your controller) and go to “Apps”, then “Shell”, then open “Bash”.

Type in: “XBOXLinuxInstall” (everything is cAsE SenSiTive in linux).

Select the first option that pops up (install on game partition),  this will install two files onto your E drive, and you'll keep your F drive and save games :).

Answer yes to all questions and after a while, you’ll get a pop-up box that asks you for an IP address, I recommend using the exact same settings as your working Evox network settings. Once you get a message like “Happy Penguin”, the install’s done.

Type "Reboot", remove the DVD AFTER Linux finishes rebooting and before you get to Evox (The “X” screen is a good place).

NOW, if you can already access Xbox Live or anything on the internet with your Xbox, you don’t really need to do any more network settings. BUT, to use two NICs and a crossover, you’ll need to enable ICS on the NIC connected to your modem.

Boot Linux through the Evox link you made, log in, right click, apps/shell/bash.

Type "apt-get update"... wait..

If you get a bunch of "localhost" errors,  then your internet's not setup right:
Type in "cd /etc/network/" then "nano interfaces" (nano is a text editor and interfaces in your networkcfg file). Edit whatever you need (if you're on a router, change "static" to "dhcp"). And save it (CTRL-O to save and CTRL-X to close).

Now type "ifdown eth0", then  "ifup eth0", that restarts your network.

Test your connection by typing "ping -c 4 google.com", if you get "Unknown Host" or the like, then try messing around a bit more in the interfaces file and on your PC (if using ICS) or on your Router control panel.

Repeat from "apt-get update".

Type "apt-get install kdebase".. wait and answer yes to all questions (this takes a long time), once you’re back at the prompt, proceed.

Type "apt-get install kdebase" *AGAIN*.. wait and answer questions (installs the few packages that the first install missed).

Type "apt-get install kdm".. Answer yes to any questions.. make KDM your default videoloader (it'll ask you at the beginning and the end, select kdm both times, it is on the bottom first and on the top second I believe)

Type “reboot”, load linux, select "KDE3" as your "Session type", and login..

Configure KDE (you can’t see the “Next” button, so press enter for the next screen), it'll load and you're done!

If you want to use the onscreen keyboard in KDE, you'll need to login to your xbox (with linux booted) like this:

If you have a favorite SSH App, then you can use that, I am going to detail how to do this PuttY:

Download putty.exe (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) and open it up, select "SSH" as the protocol and type in 192.168.0.64 as the "Host Name". Press "Open" and login with username "root" and password "xbox".

Type "cd /etc/kde3/kdm/", type "nano Xsetup"

Paste this before the last line "/usr/bin/X11/xvkbd -geometry 480x130 &"
Now save the file (CTRL-O to save and CTRL-X to close).

Now, you need to make a new user before you start messing around (DON’T SURF THE WEB AS ROOT!):

Open up Bash or Konsole, or any console program, and type “adduser <username>” don’t type in the “<>’s”. It’ll ask some questions. Now logout, and login as whatever user you just made.

If you can’t find Bash, click Start(“K”) then “Run” then type Bash.

Konquerer is the Web browser for KDE, you can now install whatever you want (Wine, gnome, whatever), But don’t ask me, I don’t know anything about linux :)…

That’s it! If you have any questions (or comments/corrections), feel free to post them here or PM me and I’ll try to address them.

This post has been edited by gainpresence on Apr 25 2003, 08:23 PM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7