xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Zonealarm Blocking Xbox From Connecting  (Read 55 times)

mediahero

• Archived User
Zonealarm Blocking Xbox From Connecting
« on: June 23, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

Hey folks, this isn't strictly a 360 problem so much as a Windows Media Player library sharing problem, so I'm sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes by posting it here. But I only use the sharing for the 360, so it's completely 360-specific to me.

I've recently installed the latest free ZoneAlarm firewall. And it won't allow media sharing from the computer to the 360 anymore. The 360 still sees the computer in the "select source" menu (which I think it always sees even if they're not connected), but when I hit connect, it does the "connecting" thing for a while and then the "connection failed" sidebar comes up. If I shut down the firewall, it connects fine. But I'd like to keep the firewall up AND watch video through the 360.

In ZoneAlarm's program controls, I've granted full acess to both Windows Media Player and wmpnetwork.exe, but it hasn't helped. I'm not sure what else I can do. Can anyone help?

stepeters

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »

Hi,

have you configured ZA's "trusted zone" to allow the 360's IP address to connect?

if not, click on the "firewall" tab, then (iirc) the trusted zone tab, then "add new IP range"
and put (for example) 192.168.0.2 into the first box, then 192.168.0.10 (or similar) into
the second box.

this will give any equipment on your network with IP's between 192.168.0.2 ~ 192.168.0.10
access to the pc.

you can tailor those addresses to suit your own network as you might only need one or two
devices to connect.

hth

Ste

SomeDudeWhack

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »

answer = uninstall zone alarm  or turn it off when you are using it :-)