xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Watching Cable Hdtv Through Mce, Is It Possible?  (Read 48 times)

Stoney_boy

• Archived User
Watching Cable Hdtv Through Mce, Is It Possible?
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »

Hi,

I've been a few days busy finding out if the following is possible.

I want to watch HDTV channels, like discovery, on my 100" screen.
Now I have the following setup: on the first floor is the Vista pc I could use for windows media center, on the second floor is the movie room with my xbox. Currently I have the simple setup that I connect my 360 to xbox live by connecting the xbox to my laptop, which is wireless connected to the network. This works fine for xbox live. Also on the pc downstairs I get a popup that it finds my 360.

The cheapest solution to watch HDTV programs is with a "Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV DVB-C" and only buying the smartcard from my cable company. I choose this tv card because it is able to work under WMC, if Im right media center only supports DVB-S (or T, but it doesn't support DVB-C which I need here). Now I'm wondering if this setup could work? Although I'm coming to the next problem, I read stories that WMC doesn't support most HDTV streams. Only MPEG2, which means I can only watch discovery channel because all others are MPEG4/H.264... Couldn't find if this is still the same, when looking on microsofts site then they only say you can watch HDTV... I didn't looked deeper though.

So I was hoping that someone here tried out, or have a setup like this and could tell me more about it.

Another solution is to go for a satelite with a dreambox, for the know reasons wink.gif Problem here again is that dreambox only has one model so far wich supports HDTV and those are not really available. Also the total price would be 4 times higher...

Mind boggling  huh.gif