xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Going Nuts Trying To Stream Internet Video  (Read 71 times)

azzytee

• Archived User
Going Nuts Trying To Stream Internet Video
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:18:00 AM »

Here's my setup:

I have a PC at a remote location that is broadcasting a video ASF feed through VLC over the internet.   I have been using my old Xbox with XBMC to then open this feed (using a .strm file), and watch it locally.

I just got a 360, and I'm trying to figure out a way to do the same thing.  First I tried WMP11, but it won't add show a network stream to the 360 - and if I make an ASX or playlist it shows up under Audio, but this is video.

TVersity seemed like it would be the perfect solution, but it won't accept the HTTP feed.  If I make it MMSH Tversity will accept it, and it will play on a PC, but not on the 360.

Finally I hit Orb, and it works... poorly.  It grabs the remote feed (which has already been compressed to WMV2 and WMA), and then re-compresses it, also the 360 then needs to buffer the stream for a good couple minutes.  The double-compression is bad, and this doesn't work well when I want something live.  I can make the codec anything I want with VLC, I just need a passthrough or something.

TVersity seems like it *should* work, but there are some comments that the current version has bugs in internet streaming... Any ideas how I can make this work properly?